Discovery Charter School 2

Posted April 20, 2014
We have been in DCS for more than 5 years now and the direction that the Campus at DCS I is taking makes us glad we are leaving. What was once was a vibrant and passionate school has turned into a bureaucracy under the complete lack of leadership of Dale Jones and Debby Perry. The "executive director" appears ready to close the middle school and focus on the elementary (K-5) which has allowed him to functionally abandon the middle school students and their teachers. We have been forced to pay for outside tutoring in order to make up fo rthe math deficits our kids have suffered at this school. While DCS is a developmental school, it is no longer hitting the basics. Very sad to see.

Posted March 18, 2014
We have been at DCS for 6 years, my daughter went from 3rd grade to 8th Grade. There are times when I have been concerned about the academics, it looked like she wasn't learning and homework was minimal even through Middle School. I knew my daughter had grown to be self confident, could advocate for herself and loved going to school each day, but worried about how she would be in a big public high school. The first year is nearly over and she is doing incredibly well! She has a 4.0 GPA and has loved playing team sports year round. She summed it up with "I didn't just learn random stuff at Discovery, I learned how to learn, how to ask questions and to find answers myself". Academics are not traditional at Discovery, and kids are expected to learn to the best of their ability, not to a level that someone else decides is good enough. Graduating students (from all that I've heard) go on to great success in High School both socially and academically, with or without tutors. (We couldn't afford tutors and didn't need to with any of my three children through their Discovery education). Discovery isn't for every child unless you are looking for something more than a test score.

Posted December 05, 2013
I am proud of our school. We have been here since its inception, understanding the philosphy of the school. It is light on homework, but the upside is that it has given us the time to have piano lessons, dance class, swim team, and other activities without feeling stressed. The school's API scores have always been in the 900's . we do not do outside academic classes. My eighth grader is taking geometry.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted December 05, 2013
I moved my daughter, Kinder to another shcool... My decision was right... My daughter is very happy and enjoys a new school.. She said that it is really school.. Discovery school has lots of fun things, but I have to tell you something... School has no responsiblity of academic standard !! Which means most of kids have tutors, tutors, tutors in order to follow CA academic goal.. Therefore, API was good... That score doesn't belong to teacher's effort, but parents.. Parents do everything....!!!

Discovery Charter School 3

Posted November 25, 2013
There is no homework, no textbook and no reward. Teachers and staffs are nice. Parents are working hard. Kids are all happy. The only problem is that teachers don't teach. They just assign projects to students and let students to figure it out by themselves. Students can't learn basic knowledge from the teachers. And they can't even get correct answers from the teachers. This is the philosophy of this school. If you don't agree with the philosophy, it is not a right school for you.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted November 14, 2013
Worst school ever, principal and teachers bully the kids and there is nothing done to stop It, the worst part is the principal suspended me for getting punched in the face!

Discovery Charter School 4

Posted November 05, 2013
This review is for Discovery 2, which opened in August, 2013. First, let me say that Discovery's philosophy, particularly as espoused by Dale Jones, is incredibly appealing. Students are welcomed and accepted for who they are and parents and educators alike are introduced to the Positive Discipline philosophy that has been the cornerstone of Parent Participation schools. The principal, Lori King, is dynamic and committed. The teachers are excited, though perhaps a little overwhelmed by the chaos of a brand new school. This is to be expected. It is difficult to fairly critique a school campus that is so new, particularly when the educators and the parents are passionately working to build the community. I applaud them. That said, many of the challenges that come with the founding of the school have been compounded by the short lead time and overall haste to establish a second campus to meet the demands of parents who wanted 'Discovery too.'. These growing pains have been challenging, challenging enough that my husband and I question our leap of faith daily. My child is happy and loves the freedom and the lack of overarching structure. We're waiting and seeing.

Posted September 29, 2013
I have seen my children blossom at Discovery Charter School. The dedication of the staff and family community provide for a supportive environment that promotes a life long love of learning. My kids come home with smiles on their faces and talk about what they are learning and doing at school and on the many field trips they experience throughout the year. I am grateful to be part of the Discovery school community.

Posted September 26, 2013
This is for Discovery Two. We have only been there for two weeks, but we are absolutely loving the transition from private catholic school. The whole environment is more relaxing and all the adults seem to want to be there for their kids.

Posted September 01, 2013
I'm down to just one child at DCS now. He loves it, and is an active participant in his education. He is very comfortable approaching his teachers and other parents. The parent teacher conferences are student led. Since the child prepares for the presentation to the parents and evaluates what he is accomplished and his goals, there is total buy in by the student. If you prefer the drill and kill, rote learning teaching style you should look elsewhere, perhaps Challenger Schools.

Discovery Charter School
4021 Teale Avenue, San Jose, CA  95117
Last modified Discovery Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 149 reviews. Top