Posted October 08, 2014
I had my little brother at Rocketship Mosaic, when he first got there his writing and reading was extremly low for a 2nd grader he was there for 2 year he grew so much that most of the 4th graders had the first 4th grade graduation and were transferred to higher level school that goes from 5th up to 8th grade that was amazing to see him grow so much, my brother inlaw had a little brother in 7th grade and he could not keep up with my brothers homework while currently in 4th grade he just didn't know a thing about his homework and him being a 7th grader. My Daughter currently attends ROcketship Mateo Sheedy for her 2nd year she is now a 1st grader and even though she started advace al she does is keep on growing and growing she ended K with a first grade academic level and amazing test scores I just love the teaching ways of this school and her awesome literacy teacher Ms.Beckman wich she had for Kinder and now 1st grade I'am more the pleased with all her hard work and with all the ecouragement and the time a patience she dedicates to my daughter I can only speak for my self experiece. Thank You so much Ms.Beckman and RMS

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 1

Posted September 29, 2014
My partner and I became guardians of my nephew last year. He came to us after K-3 at Rocketship and then a year at his neighborhood school. I was told by his mother that it was recommended by the administration at Rocketship that she move him to another school. When he came to me last year, he was in 4th grade with a 1st grade reading and math level. He has behavioral problems and was let to sit in the office at Rocketship and not do any work for 4 YEARS. When we were having my nephew evaluated I called the principal and left quite a few messages and she never called me back. Totally not acceptable and totally not accountable. My nephew is a smart kid and we have been able to pull his grades up by 2.5 grades in one year. The moral to this story is unless your child is self motivated and can work independently, do not send them to this school or your child will sit in the classroom and be allowed to not do any work for YEARS with no accountability from Rocketship's administration.

Posted September 01, 2014
Mi hijo cursa su cuarto a o en Rocketship MS. Comenzo desde Kinder y ahora esta en 3er grado. Aunque en el comienzo hubieron ciertos contratiempos de caracter de personalidad entre maestros, padres y ninos. Hoy por hoy mi hijo llama a Rocketship "my second home'. Sin contar sus maestros de Kinder, los maestros que ha tenido desde primero hasta ahora han sido buenisimos. Son maestros que sirven como 'role model' con sus acciones y no con sus palabras nada mas. Siempre estan disponibles y tienen un genuino interes por ensenar. Aunque son muy jovenes y tal vez no tengan la suficiente experiencia en el carrera de docente, tienen la preparacion y la pasion por ensenar y dejar una huella positiva en la vida de estos pequenos. El ambiente que hoy se vive es dinamico, profesional y energetico.

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2014
I'm reviewing our initial experience which includes orientation and 1st 2 weeks of Kinder. Before school began, a Welcome Back Park Day was held to meet/greet new teachers. Orientation can be improved by having a Question/Answer session afterwards. I like that a mock 1st day was held only for Kinders. They have a bathroom only to themselves. No other grades are permitted to use it during school hours. The teacher visited us at our home and is available by email/cell/text. She responds ASAP. Lessons are catered to each child's needs. My child so far loves the teacher and school. Teachers / principal are very involved, communicative and energetic. We are greeted virtually every morning with hi-spirited Good Mornings! Very available to parents' questions. High energy level across the board. Principal shows positive leadership and pride in school. Parent involvement is encouraged. I start next week. I would give this school 5 stars if it had shorter days. Bell schedule is 7:50 to 3:50 for all grades. Minimum days end at 1:50. I'm not sure how creative thinking and innovation is encouraged. I was told this is done through the Enrichment program. I will be exploring this further.

Posted February 06, 2013
The best experience ever, my girl had speech delay and they want to put her in a special class in public school, I refuse, now she is the student of the month in Mateo Sheedy. I understand many parents wants the kids to be enjoying be at sports have fun, but many at the end are left behind on there education. Mateo Sheedy is hard, but the kids develop so great, and I now my girl in the regular school would not have a chance. The teacher come from Teacher of america association, only the best are there, the came from Stanford, or other great universities, is a great school.

Posted November 01, 2012
I have to disagree on the negative things that have been said about this school. This is my daughter's first year at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy in Kindergarten. I can't rave enough about how dedicated the teachers are here. It shows that they really care about the kids. The teachers are very available before & after class, via text or cell. The teachers also do homevisits prior to the beginning of the school year to get to know the child and to hear any parent concerns. The school is very strict and gives a lot of homework, but this is to benefit our children. This school does focus on API scores a lot only because they need to constantly be proving themselves to keep the (little funding they receive) funding going. This school is only for parent's who are willing to do put up with all the homework that is given and for parent's who are willing to participate. Great job Rocketship Rocketeers on your API score of 940!

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 2

Posted July 30, 2012
My daughter has been attending Rocketship for 3 years. The first year there were so many things that concerned me but I figured the school was new and they had things to work out. The 2nd year things got a little better and our daughter seemed happy so we let her finish out the year. Her 3rd year which is the year we decided to start looking for a different school made us realize that this is not a school that encourages learning and creative thinking. Rocketship focuses on test scores and test scores only. Literacy and math. All other subjects seem to be irrelevant. Every year the each class puts on a performance either Science or History related but I've yet to see homework packets other than Math or Literacy. We feel that if we pull our child out of Rocketship and place her in a regular public school she will be advanced in Math and Literacy but in all other subjects she would be behind which is really concerning. As far as the staff.....inexperienced. When you meet with the teachers they all seem overwhelmed and very young. My daughter has 2 teachers per day. That's 6 teachers in 3 years and not a single one had more than a couple years of teaching experience.

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 1

Posted April 02, 2012
I also felt mixed emotions after enrolling my child here. I reach out to this school looking for high academic achievement, but the whole dynamics of the school put me off. The rules for bathroom use and lunch time are a bit extreme. The school is too small with no green areas at all. My son did not fit here. It just did not feel like a school, but more like a drilling camp. I moved my son to our home school and we continue to have a heavy work load of extra homeschooling in order to keep him challenged. He is seven y/o in 1st grade, yet his reading and math skills are at a 3rd and 5th grade respectably. If you are considering this school you must visit during the normal school hours specially lunch, recess and pick up time.

Posted December 09, 2011
We are in our 2nd year here at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy. I love it and it was the best decision we made for our child. It indeed has a very innovative approach to the learning and development of our children. They have a Math teacher, Language Arts teacher and Learning Lab staff who are all dedicated and are outstanding! The teachers are credentialed or have an emergency credential to teach, despite what has been said. The school has a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Accreditation which means that an investigation has been done by an outside team of Educators and our test scores are true. The school is doing exactly what it says it is. They also know where their weaknesses are and are continually working to improve them. You will find that the teachers are more dedicated than at regular public schools. They are available to us 24/7. I have always been able to communicate with the teachers and administration and always leave knowing the issues have been resolved. If you want the best education for your child I would highly recommend this school!

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 4

Posted October 10, 2011
This is my third year as a Rocketship parent. Rocketship has created an innovate approach to learning; different than the traditional school model. I was very excited about the individualized & dynamic learning provided to each of its students. All the Rocketship teachers my son has had are AMAZING and COMMITTED to their student's success; being available by email, cell phone and before/after school. They conduct home visits then meet with parents quarterly to advise them of their child s progress. New teachers bring an energetic enthusiasm to teaching kids. While some may still be gaining experience in teaching, they receive support and structure from Rocketship that creates an successful blend. Any time I have had an issue or concern, I feel comfortable to discuss it with the teachers and administration. They take the time to address and work through the issue to make sure it s explained and/or resolved. Sure, there are "growing pains", as to be expected when implementing a new way of doing things but nothing significant that would overshadow the many great successes that Rocketship has accomplished in the five years since they have been in existence.

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School
788 Locust Street, San Jose, CA  95110
Last modified Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top