Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted March 10, 2016
I was a student so I can tell you that it is just right. If your kid is lazy then they probably won't be done with homework until 9pm or something like that. But I was always done with my homework by 6pm. We get out at 4pm so that's only 2 hours of homework every night. I say that's fair.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted March 10, 2016
One time I called one of the teachers out because he had messy handwriting and I couldn't read the board because of it. So I told him in front of the entire class one day. He said I almost made him cry. The principle found out and she was going to talk to all of the kids in the class until we told her who did it. No one rated me out, everyone took slight blame for what happened. Our school's motto was always "we are a community" so the kids in my class really learned from it and totally stood by my side. And in the end yes I did say that it was me, but everyone said "you either suspend all of us or none of us." I got into trouble yes I did, but I deserved it I was rude and I shouldn't have done what I did.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted March 10, 2016
I told you my story, you know what I said. But read in between the lines, would I have really written something like that out of my own free will just to lie? Didn't you see the compassion that kids had for each other? How kids weren't left out. Most school's say that they have really strict rules about bullying, but how many of them actually do something? At voices rumors spread, sure they do! But not to make someone feel bad, but to stand up for those that can't stand up for themselves.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted March 10, 2016
I remember my first year at voices. We had these things called "Plaza" every Monday morning, it was pretty much the principle discussing updates on events from the school. But there was more to it, I didn't really realize that it matter so much until now. Every month we had a theme that built up character. Such as Kindness, honesty, or respect. There's so much more that this school can offer that I just can't put into words. But take my advice when I say that kids will for sure learn to built up a good character.

Posted November 30, 2015
This is a great school. The staff is very helpful. The teachers are always looking out for the best for the students. They are always looking for innovative ways to teach the kids. My daughter loves her school!

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 26, 2015
I'm thankful for all the people that work at voices, they not only do their best to make the students succeed academically, but they also teach them how to be good citizens, and care for others, thank you voices for the hard work.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 26, 2015
By using in lak'ech as a value, students learn that empathy is very important. "you are my other me, if i do harm to you, i do harm to myself. If i love and respect you, i love and respect myself. "

Posted November 26, 2015
I'm so glad that my two kids are attending voices, thanks to voices my two kids are fully bilingual, and they are enforcing the hard work that we do at home to rise good citizens.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 24, 2015
I am thankful for 2nd grade teacher Ms Daley. She is a wonderful teacher who is kind, compassionate and caring. My daughter absolutely adores her. Thank you for always going above and beyond for our kids!

Posted November 23, 2015
I am not completely fluent in Spanish so when we had our daughters I thought it was important to share the language with them. By the time my daughter finished Kinder she was able to have simple conversations in Spanish. The amount she learned in one school year was amazing! Since then she continues to learn with reading, writing & speaking in Spanish. Voices is a dual immersion school and we are very happy here. I love how each classroom learns about their teachers colleges and their experiences. My daughter knows she has choices. There is a huge family presence at Voices and lots of parents are involved and volunteer. My daughter is now in 3rd grade and she loves every teacher she has had so far. We look forward to the coming years as she continues to learn and grow.

715 Hellyer Avenue, San Jose, CA  95111-1584
Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. (408) 361-1960
Last modified Voices College-Bound Language Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.