Sage Vista School

Private | PK-4 | 30 students

We are best known for progressive holistic approach.

Student diversity

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $400,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted March 20, 2014

Sage Vista School has truly been ahead of the pack with an innovative approach to educating the WHOLE child-- brain, body and heart. As any founder of any organization or company would attest, one cannot achieve true implementation of one's mission without unrelenting conviction and determination. A true leader cannot be driven by fear of opinion, but rather honesty of heart, a commitment for lifelong learning and a spirit of community building. Sage Vista has implemented a comprehensive and rigorous professional development and faculty mentorship program to ensure that their faculty are supported and equipped with the tools and understandings to deliver the school's unique model. The school now thrives with a highly educated and passionate stable team of staff and faculty. SVS is truly a safe and thriving community of children, parents and educators. We invite you to join us for coffee and conversation so you may form your own impression.

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

When your child has an incessant thirst for knowledge, an active curious mind, and is eager to share her ideas as well as to create and manipulate in her learning environment, the options for schooling are so limited. My daughter was "just fine" in another school but her spark and happiness about learning was rapidly decreasing. She felt alone and started to "hide" her intelligence. She noticed other students were not as eager to raise their hand or bored with repetitive and mundane tasks. All of this has changed since we joined SVS, she looks forward to school and shares with us her daily discoveries at dinner time. We could not be happier and we are thankful to the administration for their careful admissions to ensure that our child thrives in a safe and stimulating environment.

Posted April 14, 2014

I would give them one star if possible. I feel terrible that I actually left my son in their care. They boast that they know and teach social emotional development, but talking to the kids about it everyday for 20 minutes does not mean they "know". They have no business even mentioning EQ on their website after what we have experienced. When my 5-year-old son was distraught because he felt he was being treated unfairly, not only was his emotions not noted, he was first ignored, then physically lifted /dragged into the office. They are lucky they are not being sued after what happened. They are lazy and irresponsible educators who discriminate. They dismiss those they don't think they can handle just so they can appear that they have it all together. I highly recommend that you learn more about them being sending your kids there.

Posted March 20, 2014

We've been with the school for a year now and it's like we got our child back. The school is small and in the spirit of Silicon Valley very much like a startup which makes its innovative approach to the whole child education model perfect for us. Because the school is small it is able to spend time with the children and really listen to the needs of the families. Our experience continues to be exemplary. I can't imagine our child going anywhere else. We are very involved with volunteering at the school and have gotten to know the faculty. They are dedicated and have been with the school as long as we've been there providing a stable & nurturing environment. As parents we have found our child's place but we have also found our "place" in a community of parents. The curriculum is inquiry and project based and the children are told they are scientists so asking questions is encouraged. For the curious child who is bored in a traditional school setting Sage Vista will challenge them intellectually while also attending to the social and emotional well being of the child. Sage Vista's teachers and faculty all have Masters or PHD's and they share their love of knowledge daily.

Posted March 18, 2014

This is a school desperate for keeping a flawless reputation even at the expense of its children and families. Our family joined the school believing the progressive approach and understanding of gifted kids was filling just the right need. We previously wrote a 5-star review on Great Schools. We had some lovely moments there, but the administration is very inexperienced running a school, and it wrecks havoc on the ability of the school to keep teachers, develop appropriate curriculum and manage behavior issues. Teachers came and went in ways very upsetting to the children. Parents were discouraged from community building efforts. And several wonderful families were pushed out in bizarre circumstances with the administration. It's so very unfortunate. I truly hope the promise of this school is fulfilled as the administration evolves.

Posted March 17, 2014

My daughter was having some difficulties at the first private school I had chosen. I decided to look for an alternative environment and after some research, I learned about Sage Vista and came for a tour. The environment is conducive to hands-on, inquiry and project-based learning for highly intelligent students while also supporting their emotional needs with patience, understanding, and loving care. My daughter has been there for almost four months now, and she could not be happier, which makes this single mama very happy too. She looks forward to going to school every morning and really enjoys the various activities and opportunities. She is thriving and learning so much, with very little use of dittos and mundane tasks. At Sage Vista, they make learning exciting and explorative in order to challenge a growing mind. The teachers are amazingly caring and supportive and are so dedicated to the school and the children. The classes are small, so each student gets a ton of attention and support. They learn Spanish daily and have field learning trips monthly. I love this school! Check it out!

Posted February 11, 2014

Sage Vista School is a community of caring and energetic teachers, students and parents working together to deliver a truly unique learning experience. Teachers have creative freedom to respond to the needs and interests of their students to make lessons meaningful and students successful.

Posted February 3, 2014

Our child was getting lost in a well respected Bay Area public school, and what started off as a wonderful new experience turned into a daily battle of anxiety and disappointment. After some recommended testing we learned that our child was a "critical thinker and would benefit from a different classroom environment. Sage Vista met our requirements for smaller class sizes, project based education, expanded curriculum options, full brain learning and less task based busy work. Sage Vista has grown from a three student concept, into a thirty student "inquiry based learning" school in three years. This organic growth help each teacher to develop a stronger understanding of the needs of each individual child. Our child now looks forward to school every day, is overcoming previous educational challenges, and is building the emotional intelligence that will help her succeed in our increasing multi-tasking world. We all want an environment to cultivate the potential of our own special child, and that s exactly what Sage Vista provides to our family. I would encourage you to learn more about Sage Vista, and learn if our small community is a good fit for your family.

Posted February 2, 2014

Sage Vista is a fantastic school. Teachers show sensitivity, understanding and insight. Behavior is not oversimplified to "he is naughty" or "just wants attention". They ask why is the child disengaged? Is he bored, uncomfortable, tired, hungry, just needs to take a break, if so, that is ok. Time is spent daily on SEL and I have observed it within children's interactions many times. Teachers at SV are able to practice their art without the restraints that public schools place upon teachers. In comparison to reputably rigorous but undifferentiated schools, my son is working 1-2 grades ahead in most, if not all subjects. My daughter is proving her math abilities are quite strong at age 4. The smaller facility is compensated for in off site field trips and hands on experiments. Sage Vista is a progressive school for highly curious, creative, intelligent learners and parents who want to encourage the love of learning in their children within an authentic, emotionally safe community. Some parents are not a good fit in terms of philosophy and expectations but if the former sentence rings true, I highly suggest you come and check us out!

Posted January 29, 2014

Sage Vista has a progressive, practical and hands-on approach to education. The students love coming to school here every day and I am blessed to be a part of it all!

Posted November 9, 2013

Wow - what an amazing school. Check out their facebook page - these guys are really doing what they say: Hands-on project based learning with an emphasis on inquiry and exploration. The teachers and staff were so welcoming and relaxed at the open house, they really enjoy their work.

Posted November 5, 2013

Sage Vista has been a fantastic school for my son. He has blossomed since he began attending both academically and socially. He looks forward each day to showing up and being part of the learning experience. I have found that the focus on social and emotional growth has encouraged him to be part of the process and the parent community has allowed me to do so as well. I now understand the goals of the education process for my child and embrace the schools' focus on learning through investigation. What a wonderful team of educators as well!

Posted November 4, 2013

Our daughter has never been so excited to go to school everyday! The staff is so very kind and caring. Every child is important, and the parents are so nice and welcoming. Great location with access to all major freeways within minutes. Sage Vista's approach is progressive and empowering for today's growing youth. We are so lucky to have such educated teachers teaching our children. Compared to the many private schools in the bay area Sage Vista is affordable and a peanut free school.

Posted November 3, 2013

My daughter is such a happier person since starting at Sage Vista. The school's focus is on educating the whole child. From increasing math fluency, learning Spanish, PE, art, music, literacy to social emotional learning she is getting a fully rounded education. Sage Vista uses inquiry and project based learning in the classrooms giving each child even more opportunities to advance their critical thinking skills. If you are looking for a school where your child is challenged, in a small class of students and a wonderful nurturing environment than I would highly recommend Sage Vista.

Posted June 17, 2013

I was a student at Sage Vista School. I think my time there did the most to improve me mentally and emotionally. When I first came to Sage Vista I was shy, overly competitive and a bad loser, but Sage Vista and its wonderful staff allowed me to excel in my areas of strength and grow in my self awareness. As more students joined Sage Vista, I overcame my shyness and befriended them. Also, playing with kids younger than me taught me that it was about having fun and that you didn't always have to win. Sage Vista really prepared me. For example, I was very stubborn when I came to Sage Vista but Sage Vista taught me to be flexible and to take different perspectives and see the problem like the other person. Sage Vista also helped me academically, for example math just wasn't my thing. I was never really good at it but Sage Vista changed that. I learned to love math! When I entered middle school this year, I was placed in advanced classes for math. They also helped me to become a more confident writer; oh, I'm now in advanced LA classes too. Without Sage Vista, I don't think I would have been ready to face the confusing and scary transition into middle school.

Posted June 5, 2013

Sage Vista is an awesome school with dedicated professionals creating an exceptional educational experience in Silicon Valley.

Posted May 3, 2013

When I read Sage Vista's mission and philosophy, I knew right away that this was a place where I wanted to teach. I love developing learning experiences that are meaningful and appropriate based off the interests, strengths and needs of the children in my class. I am able to provide individualized attention while also having the freedom to be creative in designing lessons. Furthermore, Sage Vista values professional development for its teachers. I love teaching because it constantly requires me to learn and grow. Sage Vista not only values this growth, but provides many ways for its teachers to refine and develop their skills. In all honesty, I love coming to work everyday.

Posted April 11, 2013

Sage Vista School has literally changed our child's educational experience. The rich learning environment, which includes differentiated curriculum and foster's learning in areas where children express interest, is magical for intelligent students. In addition to supporting the intellectual needs of the students, the school focuses on social emotional development and does so in a unique and caring format. Often highly intelligent children lack certain social skills and Sage Vista is effectively meeting the needs of children on both fronts. We could not be happier with our experience.

Posted April 10, 2013

My son attends Sage Vista, and both he and I are very happy with the school. The teachers and staff are truly outstanding and are, in my opinion, creating an ideal educational environment where students feel comfortable asking questions, engaging, and taking ownership of their learning. The focus on social-emotional learning is excellent in every way; even at a young age he is learning teamwork and communication skills that many adults still lack! The small class size is wonderful, allowing the teachers latitude in helping kids learn at their own level while still interacting with similar-age peers. Most importantly, my son looks forward to learning and participating, and he just loves school. We were blessed to find Sage Vista.

Posted April 10, 2013

Sage Vista has transformed the life of my son. Even after a short time, he is happier, thriving, confident and making friends.After a pretty rough period at other schools I never imagined that such a school existed. His teacher is amazing and the staff have been outstanding. They have totally made education a pleasure and a joy.

Posted April 10, 2013

We started our son at Sage Vista Fall 2012 and are so glad we did. We chose SVS for a variety of reasons. A few being: their small class size; their focus on both academic excellence and social-emotional awareness (daily); the flexibility to work with a child at their pace, whether it is ahead of, or behind, their peers; and Spanish! The teachers we have worked with are extremely caring, responsive and enthusiastic. Our son has grown leaps and bounds in the first year of school (aside from preschool) both academically and socially. We hope more come to learn what a gem Sage Vista really is.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • AnaMaria Guevara
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (408) 963-6710

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Inquiry based
  • Project-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Improv
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Gifted Girls Social Club
  • Hacker Scouts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units