Public charter
San Jose, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 19, 2014
I am a parent of a senior at Summit Rainier. Anyone that says they don't prepare our kids for college is absolutely insane. I have seen students in our mentor group go from no hope of even graduating high school to being excited about their GPA and knowing exactly what they need to do to get into the college of their choice. The only other school that can hold a candle to Summit in preparing an ENTIRE student body for college is KIPP collegiate. Other schools have traditionally prepared a very small percentage of kids for college. And of course it is not all rainbows, no school is. But one thing I know for sure is that when I have brought the school a problem I feel like my concern is validated and the problem is addressed. I am so glad that we have a great option for our students. It is different than the "traditional" high school but give it a few years and I am sure more schools will follow Summit's lead.

Posted May 15, 2014
Teachers at this school are excellent because they are always willing to help you. If you want to push higher then the standard curriculum, they'll certainly help you self-study for AP exams. If you're behind, they are always there for officer hours. It's the dedication that matters and not that nearly all went to top universities such as Stanford and UC Berkeley. Curriculum is designed to be very consistent and fair, you're work is exactly graded to the curriculum. No biased, easy grading or quirks. That being said, students have a huge problem. I mean, teachers are great right, what else could be wrong? It's themselves. There is a culture of victimhood that infects most people. You will see many kids not actually trying and rather goof off until grades are turned in, then blame the school. Clubs are a mess since most (save for like two) don't do anything due to lack of participation by the greater population (thankfully we have plenty in sports). I mean, if you're an outsider kid who knows how to deal with people like that you'l be fine. They can actually be nice. I do think that the school will be better as more dedicated freshmen arrive. It's much better then most schools tbh.

Posted April 28, 2014
This school has really been great for my child. The teachers are fantastic. They really care a great deal about the students and often help them after hours (on their own time). We have a lot of cf caring and dedicated parents that often help the school. They are very hands on.

Summit Public School: Rainier 1

Posted January 10, 2014
As a parent and community member, I am deeply disappointed in Summit High School in San Jose. They have subscribed to a very radical approach across the board in their learning model. The students are in an independent study with little guidance. Regrettably, Summit San Jose does not emulated the Redwood City Summit School's teaching model of success.

Posted November 05, 2013
I can honestly say as a parent what I wanted in a high school is a safe environment where the kids can learn and be happy. I found it at Summit Rainier. Not all high schools fit all kids but this one is wonderful with the most caring teachers I have ever trusted my kids to. Very happy.

Posted October 24, 2013
I love the teachers and parents. There is a sense of community, which is wonderful.

Posted October 22, 2013
Rainier is a small school. This school is small because we value a tight, close knit community. After we moved to the Mt. Pleasant campus, we experienced some logistical problems. We were placed into portables (they are actually very nice) and were deprived of running water. Some of the science rooms have sinks that are operated by a pump, and the bathroom is far away. I am surprised about how almost none of the comments mention that every student has their own Chromebook, and with a 1-1 computer program, the majority of our courses are online, with the teacher acting as guidance, help, and support. Another great feature about this school is that we have some strong clubs, which are made and ran by the students. I want to address that issue that there are some individuals who do not take this seriously and take the program for granted. I want to say that this occurs in every public school. Overall, this school is definitely above average. The teachers are close to you and it is very hard it be lonely in this school. The academic program is different and technology based.

Posted October 14, 2013
We really like the attention our daughter got from her teachers. We also like the fact that the students are doing a lot of practical projects to re-inforce the theories and textbook lectures. With projects, the students are gaining a lot more in-dept understanding of the subjects. The facility is not great, but it's a trade off. We are happy about the school !!

Posted October 08, 2013
The teachers and mentors are awesome. They really care about the kids and consistently check in with them.

Posted October 07, 2013
Anyone who takes a good hard look at our current public school systems knows that it is not working! Summit is the closest to an ideal scene I have found in all of the Bay Area. If you want your typical "high school" experience, skip it. If you want your child to have a chance at succeeding come take a look.

Summit Public School: Rainier
1750 South White Road, San Jose, CA  95127
Last modified Summit Public School: Rainier is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Public School: Rainier Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top