Summit Public School: Tahoma 4

Posted June 01, 2014
At all schools there are a wide range of academic levels within the classroom, some students require more time to cover material while others are ready to move on. What I like about Summit is they provide all students the time and support to master the material at their own pace. There were students who struggled with the shift to the new program this year. Some students may not want to work this way, some parents too. teachers have been available in the morning and after school to help students and the administration has addressed many of the issues. This summer teachers will be there to help those who need more support.. My son likes Summit better than our public school. I know he will be ready to handle the rigors of college. Summit teaches the students to be independent, responsible students that are able to access resources and deal with new systems/changes, persevere and most importantly, be successful.

Posted April 22, 2014
So many problems! Entire teaching system changed again this year without warning, now students have to learn everything from free sources on the Internet. Students who ask questions are told to just google it. Students who fall behind are not noticed because Summit insists there is no such thing as falling behind. No quarterly progress reports, 1/2 year report was a %, no grade. Parents are told to follow their students progress on a website that doesnt work very well. We haven't heard from our student's mentor this whole year even though we email them. So many parents have complained about the new system this year but nothing has changed. CEO & Principals insist everything is going great and blame parents for not understanding the system. We understand it and see that it is not working. Summit claims to be preparing students for college but what reputable, competitive college gives the entire year to turn in papers or to retake tests until they pass? Who knows what crazy new experimental program we will get next year? Summit compares itself to Silicon Valley startups but has forgotten that these are high schoolers' futures they are gambling with, not VC dollars.

Summit Public School: Tahoma 3

Posted February 10, 2014
It was okay, but now you use too much computers to teach. Teachers are good for what should be taught. If the student is behind or ahead you should get help.

Posted January 14, 2014
Our son attends Summit. It's a closely-knit student centered environment with an emphasis on safety, respect and career development without the cost of a private school. Summit has small class size, great student to teacher ratio, tutor resources before and after school and high expectations of the students. The teachers are an elite team of highly-qualified, motivated, and dedicated.They have created a nurturing and challenging atmosphere in which students acquire the knowledge and experience they need to prepare them for college.They work incredibly hard and give freely and willingly of their time to meet with and work with students.They encourage and enable the students to become active participants Students have the same mentor and remain in the same mentor group all four years to develop and strengthen trusting relationships between mentor, students and parents. The mentors are dedicated to providing one-on-one support and personalized attention to help each student meet their individual goals, keep the student on track, and help them graduate on time. They reach out to their students families on a regular basis and schedule times to meet and bond with them outside of school.

Posted January 12, 2014
The parents have been on a high learning curve trying to understand the blended learning model. Admin scheduled several parent meetings to educate us. My INVESTMENT of an hour answered all of my questions. It is our responsibility as parents to collaborate with the faculty and seek the answers to our student's education. There are 7 hours of extra support before and afterschool every week. Again, it is up to the parents and students to seek out the assistance--it's there for those students who are willing to help themselves. Teachers are ready and waiting. Mentors meet with each student on Fridays to discuss his/her successes and challenges. The Summit model dictates shaping a student's behavior toward self sufficiency; some students need more help than others. By high school, parents should be aware of the student's learning style and find a school that matches it. Most of the teachers hold a master's degree--compare that with the traditional high school; yes, it does make a difference. This is a fantastic school with dedicated faculty but it is a team effort that results in students' success. It seems like that other parent didn't take advantage of it. Collaboration is key.

Posted January 12, 2014
We chose to send our son to Summit instead of our top ranking neighborhood high school because of the low student to teacher ratio and the mentor program. He's a sophomore and is doing well. Summit's teaching staff is extremely dedicated to helping every student succeed. Teachers are available EVERY day before and after school. I read the previous comments and I'm not sure why the statements were made referring to teachers not wanting to help or explain the concepts. EVERY time my son has needed clarification on a concept, he has met with his teacher(s) and received the help needed. This then allowed him to pass an assessment that he was struggling with. At Summit, you'll find teachers who are dedicated, excited about teaching, and care about all students' success. We also value the mentor program. My child's academic mentor teacher is FABULOUS. Mentor teachers meet with each student AND family in the fall and in the spring (home visits too!) and discuss in detail the student's personal and academic goals and then check in with the student 's progress on a weekly basis. Each staff member at Summit is a shareholder in my son's education. Summit is a great choice!

Posted January 10, 2014
That one negative comment about our teachers is so untrue! I know that both the teachers and administrators reached out many, many times to intervene, but that parent completely ignored them and did nothing to resolve the issue with the student. I hate when parents think it's only the teachers' responsibility to educate and they're unwilling to take responsibility for their own child. ALL the teachers here are the most dedicated, professional teachers I have ever seen - going above and beyond every single day and night!

Posted January 10, 2014
I think this school is really terrible. Honestly everything is wrong and students are not really learning anything and We chose to ask for help but teachers will not bother to even try to help or explain the concept. I am a student and its very hard to continue this and I am not sure if I am going to go off to college. I will be willing to transfer but there will be a test i will have to take to see what i have learned and if I end up failing I would have to repeat my grades from the past and now. The community is really great but honestly its terrible when it comes to learn.

Posted January 09, 2014
Honestly this school is a really bad school. Teachers do not help students that why I decidedecided to trasfer my child

Posted July 13, 2013
We choose to send our daughter to Summit school instead of our top rated neighborhood school. After a year in Summit, what I have observed is a tremendous increase in her confidence, the determination to give her best in everything, and a compassion for people from all walks of life. More than just grades, this school is giving her life long lessons that she will carry with her for ever, and to us as parents that is absolutely important. The teachers are incredible, the effort they put in to bring out the best in each and every student is amazing, they are super approachable and someone my teen daughter can look up to as role models. I would highly recommend this school

Summit Public School: Tahoma
14271 Story Road, San Jose, CA  95127
Last modified Summit Public School: Tahoma is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Public School: Tahoma Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top