Public charter
San Jose, CA
After care: No

Posted April 29, 2013
This public high school is exactly what we were looking for. It gives the students what they need to be engaged and interested in their education while still meeting the state standards and prepare them for college. When working and talking with the staff , I was impressed with their willingness and commitment to work with the kids so they were engaged in there learning. When stating the High School search someone told me about the school stating this is a school where you send the kids who wants to learn . I find it to be true.

Posted April 29, 2013
Visited the school for their open house and future student attended a shadow day. Both of us came home and was really impressed. Just what education should be all about. Self engagement, discussions, passion, involvement, caring, projects, collaboration, making it work and not just being organized and dictated by teachers. Really encouraging to check it out if you are looking for something out of the ordinary and more than just a test score high school only worrying about their ratings of their students.

Posted April 29, 2013
I have seen these students flourish. This school is a wonderful place for students to grow and learn. Highly recommend this school. Good things do come in small packages!!!

Posted April 28, 2013
Communitas Charter High School has been great for my son. He was an honor student at John Muir, but the small-school environment has really helped him excel and take responsibility for his own education. The integrated studies help, and the Maker Class is awesome. He loves the late hours (9-4:30). It really strives to educate the whole person and to teach kids academically, socially and emotionally what they'll need in college and in life. All the other schools in our area have hundreds of kids in each grade. If this school gets its dream level of enrollments, it will be around 150-200 students. My son knows everyone in his school, and that has made a HUGE difference. He also views his teachers as supportive, friendly people trying to help him grow, which is a rare view of a teenager to take. This school is an alternative to the junior rat race. If you are tired of test-based teaching and having your kid get lost in the shuffle, this is the place for you.

Posted April 24, 2013
My son is a freshman at Communitas High School, and it has been a great fit for him. He especially enjoys the Maker's Class, where he gets to design and create things. The students and staff are very supportive, and it's a wonderful community to be a part of!

Posted February 25, 2013
The best Charter High School in San Jose! I have looked at a lot, and this one is great.

Posted January 22, 2013
My son is having a highly engaging experience as a sophomore at Communitas! We were looking for a school that focuses more on the process of learning rather than on rigid ideas of success such as test scores and grades. While the assessment process is different than traditional schools, the learning is definitely not sub-par. I actually believe that progressive schools such as Communitas require more of students and therefore these schools better prepare students for life, not just getting a grade and jumping through hoops. They truly come out learning how best to use their minds. And that's just the academics! Communitas does not ignore the students' social/emotional needs. Students spend an hour nearly every day in small groups with a staff member discussing current events, social challenges and issues that are vital to teenagers in our ever-changing society. The staff at Communitas are as dedicated as any staff I've seen and I have taught in public schools. My son gets in the car everyday and actually shares many of the activities, lessons and discussions that took place during his school day. His enthusiasm is where I found my 5 star rating!

Posted January 22, 2013
I believe that you are very unlikely to see a school as unique as Communitas. Our teachers are lively, fun and have very interesting approaches to teaching. We focus on many different topics, and encourage students to speak up much more than they have in other schools. It is true that we have quite a few things that set us apart from the regular school, but that's what makes us a refreshing experience. So, if you want a unique school experience where you are a genuine part of the community, then come to Communitas.

Posted January 21, 2013
The people behind Communitas are extremely thoughtful, committed, and compassionate. The school is dedicated to the belief in students as citizens of their own world, capable of taking responsibility and enjoying the learning process. The staff work tirelessly to respond to different family needs while ensuring that students are well prepared to think for themselves and perform well in college settings. This is a school that emphasizes relationships at all levels, a much-needed skill in a very technological world.

Posted January 20, 2013
This school is without a doubt, one of the best run schools in the whole county. I made the choice to leave my local high school, which is supposedly considered one of the best ones in San Jose, for this much smaller high school. Here, you can be friends with everyone, even the teachers as well. Our curriculum is meant to make you think and LEARN, something I realized that I've been missing throughout my school years. The student population here are extremely friendly and drive themselves to learn. You will not find a single bully, druggie, gangster, etc. among them. Now, this school has had quite a few problems over the First Semester, but you have to understand that we just started this year and we only have a staff of 5, and I promise you that this school will live up and even exceed your expectations over the next few years. Go CCHS!

Communitas Charter High School
4849 Pearl Ave., San Jose, CA  95136
Last modified Communitas Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Communitas Charter High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top