No rating

Discovery Charter Ii

Charter | K-8 | 382 students

Posted July 10, 2014

We just completed the first year at D2. My son was in 1st grade and he loved it. Prior to attending Discovery 2, he was at a Montessori which we were happy with until we realized he was not at grade level in reading and writing. But with a school that did not provide homework and we as parents backed off on making him read at home he caught up and made great strides in reading. I would say it was all his teachers doing, she was fantastic! There are way more great teachers then poor and the worst teacher is not coming back and the school hired another what I think will be another great teacher that my other child will get next year. For this being the schools 1st year I was surprised to how well it went. My child hated his montessori school but loves D2 and can't wait to start again in August. I think the new director will be great and she seems to be a better fit for the school. Sometimes the turn over is a blessing. I recommend this school to anyone looking for a great progressive education approach where kids don't groan about homework and actually learn and love it.

Posted March 11, 2014

School focuses on all round development with great degree of parent involvement. My son loves to go to Discovery 2.

Posted February 17, 2014

In looking at the reviews, I see a common theme -- this approach to education has the potential to create engaged, self-directed learners. I agree. This philosophy can work (see D1), but honestly (and understandably), DCS 2 isn't there yet. There are several challenges that this first-year campus has faced this year, from wall-less classrooms that allow noise to carry throughout the facility to the administrative and teacher turnover (the Director and, to date, three faculty members). Like others mentioned, there are several experienced and creative teachers who offer exciting learning opportunities; there are also teachers who have struggled (and need support) with this educational model. Consistency is an issue and so is classroom environment (some teachers maintain a productive environment for learning while others, quite simply, do not). The school needs more time and it needs more oversight, particularly from Dale. He is on campus a couple of days per week, but truthfully, the school needs him there more. I think the next few months will offer the administration and faculty the opportunity to develop a foundation for success. I hope families can stick it out.

Posted February 12, 2014

I'd want to write something for people who are thinking to apply for this school for their kids. First of all, I'd say this is a very good school. The ideas of teaching, learning as well as activities are on the cutting edge. Even though the infrastructure of this school is not ready, parents are so much into it. You will appreciate the craziness of parent involvement. Nevertheless, the implementation for teaching and learning is somehow the biggest issue that needs immediate attention. If your kids are lucky to be assigned with an experienced teacher, I'd say that's the perfect situation. Otherwise, you are on your own, especially on academic standards. It's not just behind others, it's far behind!! I had my kids (4th and 2nd) enrolled at DSC2 for one semester. Unfortunately, one was in the perfect situation but the other one wasn't. After we came back to our neighborhood school, the second day my kid said "thank you" to bring him back. He realized that a lot of things he didn't learn at DSC2. He is trying to catch up now. I am glad we come back, but am also grateful to have the experience to try DSC2. DSC2 is just not for us. I wish you all good luck at DSC2.

Posted February 5, 2014

Discovery 2 is in it's inaugural year. My son is high functioning autism spectrum and has been thriving in this environment. It's parent participation so there are many involved in helping my son learn. It's positive discipline which helps my son grow to be a good citizen who thinks critically. The curriculum is open and focuses on critical thinking and creativity. There is a resource teacher, speech therapist, and occupational therapist on site. The facility is top notch as far as charter schools go. The community is active and dedicated to developing all children at the school.

Posted January 18, 2014

As a former teacher I can say this school is everything I dreamed for for my kids. My son LOVES his school and we absolutely love his teacher. I am amazed at the community of parents working together to make it a dream school. This school truly cares about the child as a whole and sees kids with all the potential they have. They teach kids to learn instead of just passing on information. If you know about recent studies about how children learn and thrive, you will understand this school and be excited about it!

Posted December 18, 2013

School is not ready yet, lots of issues, chaotic, distractive.. They need more time to be settled. Teachers don't know school's theory and curricul... Each class, each teacher uses a different text book.... OMG.... I believe this school will be better after 3 years.. Otherwise; I took my kid out, and he is happy to be in new school. My son said that new school is more organized and stable.. I was shocked even my son notices Discovery shcool is not ready to teach kids...

Posted October 17, 2013

Three of my children attend this school and each is thriving. The teaching philosophy, teacher quality, and parent involvement makes this school top notch.

Ethnicity This school

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/AN/A
English language learners 10%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields

School start time
  • 8:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom