San Jose, CA

Harry Slonaker Academy 5

Posted April 27, 2010

Harry Slonaker Academy 0

Posted May 29, 2009
my daughter has been in this school since kindergarten and I'm thinking of transferring her to a better school. The school has very low test scores, my daughter constantly complains of being bullied by other kids and the teachers don't do anything about it, for recess or lunch students are not allowed to play ball, jump rope, run or anything since the beginning of this year. I became dissapointed with this school this year and I don't see anything trying to be done to make the school better.

Harry Slonaker Academy 2

Posted March 16, 2007
My daughtger is in her last year at Slonaker. She has been attending this school since 3rd grade and I have to say she is a great kid, and does very well in school. Her test scores are great, and I don't have a problem with her getting in trouble at school. I am always on her about getting her assignments done, projects turned in on time,etc. My daughter is also in the MESA program(Math, Engineering, Science Acheivement). The MESA Program is an academic program that supports educationally disadvantaged community college students to excel in math, computer science, engineering, and science so they can transfer to four-year institutions as majors in these fields. This is great that they have this program for younger children. I think parents need to be more involved in their childrens education. I am also a Slonaker Alumni........

Harry Slonaker Academy 1

Posted November 04, 2005

Harry Slonaker Academy 1

Posted April 07, 2005
My son attends Slonaker Elementary School on a 1k level. He is doing good but brings home a lot of bed behavior. It happend he was beaten up by unother kid. When brought to the attantion of a teacher she would not know how to handle it, when principal learned about it, some positive outcome was generated. Children are being incuraged to do homework yet not all do it as a results attitude of the others dicreases. There is very small progress in terms of the vocabulary gain. If I was to sumerize it in one sentense: poor school, low quality of education, not academic material to begin with due to lock of parental involvment and low parantal expectations

Harry Slonaker Academy 2

Posted March 15, 2005
My daughter has been attending Slonaker Academy for 2 years now. Budgets cuts have wiped away the music program as well as any after school programs other than extended day care. Even so it does not seem parents or the community are making an effort to develope any programs on our own. Also, given the large hispanic community my daughter and her fellow non-spanish speaking students must be sent to a different class room to study english. I have found my daughter gets lost while the teacher translates the days assignments. In addition, the school has had very poor test scores.

Harry Slonaker Academy
1601 Cunningham Avenue, San Jose, CA  95122
Last modified Harry Slonaker Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harry Slonaker Academy Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top