Bad
Good

Don't be taken aback by the average rating. There are a lot of passionate teachers here. The students love their school. It is now also a Leader In Me school. They have lots of funding and unique activities not readily available in other schools in the district. The principal is also new and is making a change!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

As with any school and any parent, there are different expectations from each side. As long as you voice our your opinions, I believe the teachers and parents will need some understanding and support for the student.

While my student is top of his class at Toyon; he failed to test into a new school. Standards are very low here.

This school bathroom was dirty my son said he went bathroom and toilet paper all over ground..

I'm very unhappy with how the principal called me one day. I felt that he wasn't explaining it to me and felt that he didn't care how my kids were going to feel. I feel that the school is unorginzated and it need to be clean. My son said that the bathroom were very nasty and gross he couldn't go to restroom so he held it till he got home. I also feel that the principal isn't very friendly and has no communication skill to parents about things being transfer and very unconcern about it and rude.

My son attends TOYON and I couldn't be prouder! The teachers are fantastic and genuinely care about their students and their well-being. There are programs for children that need a little extra help, as well as extracurricular programs (Mandarin Chinese class, YMCA after-school program) that are free to families. The students love the time each week that they spend in the computer lab! This school is also a NASA distinguished school! The PTA is a great group of people who really want amazing things for the Toyon students! I think more parents could/should be involved, but the ones that are, are wonderful! Any little bit of time you can help at the school is beneficial to the classroom atmosphere! Especially now with the ridiculous budget problems... The principal is really a great guy and it is evident that he loves his job! I will be happy to send my other kids to TOYON (when their time comes)!! I highly recommend this school!

I have lived across the street from Toyon Elementary for 7 years. The neighborhood is made up of mostly long time residents and is a quiet neighborhood. I have two daughters ages 6 and 8 that attend Toyon. I couldn't be happier with my decision on where to live and what school my children should attend. The teachers and staff are great at Toyon and that really makes me want to get involved as a parent. We are a close knit group of parents at Toyon. There is a real sense of community here and with that brings trust. Toyon is a great school now and I feel that in the coming years with the parent involvement we have that we will only get better!!!

i just wanted to say how much i appreciated the office staff at toyon .They are the most sweetest lady's i have ever met.

I have two children at Toyon, both are doing extremely well academically. I am very impressed with the Parent - Teacher communication. Additionally, the Principal is GREAT!

I am a very proud product of Toyon Elementary School and believe our diversity, employee energy, and neighborhood location make for an extraordinary learning experience.

Last modified Toyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.