Blackford Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 625 students

Our school is best known for it's Multi Cultural Community

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $619,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,590.

Posted March 12, 2014

I could write a much longer review, but I wanted to address the comments regarding bullying at this time. My son was being "bullied" (though I hate to use that term, because I think its way over used) at the beginning of the year. A boy was being physical with him, daily. I wasn't satisfied with the response from the Yard Duty, so I went to the administration (specifically the VP Mrs. Frese) and it was immediately dealt with. Changes were made, and appropriate teachers/yard duty were contacted, by the next day. Starting the very next day, I never heard my son complain about this issue again (and yes I asked often :) I certainly don't think the school is perfect, but I think bullying is something they do work hard to stop. They offer rewards for children who go so many weeks without referrals, they encourage the students, and they take immediate action. Kids don't always listen the first time, but it doesn't mean action isn't being taken. If you are concerned about the school, go for a tour, meet the principal and Vice Principal, attend a PTA meeting (or ELAC meeting) and get to know the parents.

Posted March 9, 2014

This last review seems to be outdated. The new and amazing multi-purpose room has been incredible. The kids love it and it has gotten praise throughout the district for it's design and energy efficiency. More major improvements are coming and the beautification project continues. My experience over the last 3 years has been really positive. Yes, there are challenges, as with any school, but the teachers and principle are really dedicated and committed to maximizing this schools potential and changes are happening all the time. Bullying and referrals are way down...just speak to the principle to get the facts. And yes, I agree, as parents we should do our best to stay involved in our child's academic journey any way possible. If you are a concerned parent in any way...please help us make this school better by being constructive and productive. It's our children that suffer with the negativity. As a community, I hope we can work together to continue improvements at Blackford and in our children's experience. I also must say, both of my kids love Blackford!

Posted March 9, 2014

This school has been going through many transitions over the last few years. With the new Cafeteria, upcoming improvements in the grounds, and an incredibly positive parent and teacher community, we are working to make this a neighborhood school. Students are participating in STEAM and incorporating science, engineering and art into the daily routine. At any school you can have a bad experience, but it's how you move forward and help to change the atmosphere where you are. Before knocking the school, come see it and decide for yourself. The best way to support public education is to support your local school. Come see what Blackford has to offer!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 6, 2014

Not sure how/why my review being deleted over and over, but it was more or less: This school has had some serious sanitation issues, including black mold. The staff is more concerned about painting their lunch room than maintaining clean eating spaces for the kids. The bullying is out-of-control with almost no recourse available to the parents. Just look at the number of reviews citing this My daughter was there for 3 years. The good teachers are repressed and tend to be threaten by the principle to stay in-line or be given their worst duties (whatever that is they don t like). If you plan to have your child there, you will need to stay on top of things: attend PTA and keep a close watch on the facilities. Report bullying to the police and district or you will get nowhere read others reviews below. There is general racism towards whites at this school. The 4 and 5 stars reviews are probably not real. Strongly recommend avoiding this school unless you are impoverished or have no choice. The teachers are scarred to speak out due to past retribution, given the district will barely listen.

Posted January 23, 2014

THE WORST SCHOOL my 3rd grader ever attended for 6 months. Bad Teachers, Bad Substitutes, Bad children, Bad Principal = BAD SCHOOL! STAY AWAY!!!! My daughter was punched in the stomach by a boy in her class and was forced to sit next to him until I found out about it. Worst Principal EVER!

Posted September 5, 2013

We moved to San Jose from another state last year and decided to send our kids to our neighborhood school despite the fact that most of the neighbors send their kids to private school and the test scores were not stellar. It was a very different environment than my kids were used to, partly from the diversity, partly from the change in state education systems, partly from the urban vs. suburban culture change. My daughter had a difficult time with staying at school without crying when I left. The administration went above and beyond their responsibilities to help her, and after a few days she was fine. This school year is proving to be the same, and though the administration has changed, they are still helping her adjust at the beginning of the school day and after a few minutes she calms down and heads to class. You can look at the detailed data on the CDE website but don't overlook the fact that the scores at Blackford are lower in part because of the number of students who are speaking English as a second language. It is slow progress but we are improving.

Posted April 12, 2013

When my son was in 5th grade he dealt with horrible BULLYING. He still has severe problems with his self esteem. My son had a medical condition and the kids bullied him about it. When they finally met with my son they offered him a class on how to deal with bullies. There was NO consequences for the bullies. Both of my sons were physically assaulted. The principal at the time was completely incompetent. I was so upset and had to contact the superintendent to deal with this issue. They finally (near the end of the year) brought in a behavior specialists who finally started suspending the kids who were physically assaulting other kids. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Posted March 2, 2013

Not sure how my last review was deleted but it was. My son has been going to Blackford for 3 years and bullying and under staffing has always been a problem every year. My son has been bullied every year and it is difficult to find a yard duty teacher sometimes. During his kindergarten year the lunch room was understaffed and things would get out of control. I have always been an active parent and have volunteered for countless hours. Some people want to defend Blackford no matter what but the truth is things need tremendous improvement and there is too much bullying going on.

Posted February 12, 2013

I am sorry if being at the school every single day for an entire year to help in the lunch room while it was understaffed is not being involved enough for you.

Posted February 12, 2013

Thank you parent below...for your response to my inquiry about the school. I did go on a tour with the principal...she was great, personable, patient, very kind and was preceived well by all students at the school. You can tell she's very much involved with each student and wants to make Blackford a stand out school. I appreciated all the time she spend with me and open way she answered my concerns to what I've read/heard. My views have definitely changed after my visit...I will take Blackford into consideration now when registering my daughter for kinder. The students seemed very happy on our visit and eager to show Mrs. Middlebrook their progress. I am a hands on parent and would love to have that capability to be involved in the school as well. It's great to know it's encouraged by all there. Thanks again.

Posted December 3, 2012

My son has attended Blackford for the past 3 years. The biggest complaint I have with this school, and it isn't necessarily with the teachers, principal, or staff, it's with the parents. There is almost NO parent participation at this school. The key to a successful school is parent participation. If the parents would volunteer in the classrooms, or at the school, or join the PTA, they would know what is going on with their child's education. They would know the parents of their friends, they would know all of their friends and thus, things like bullying would not be an issue. Fostering a community spirit within your school helps your child and you feel more comfortable amongst their peers. Complaining and bad mouthing doesn't do anyone any good...do something about it...get involved! The three teachers that my son has had, have been great. I have no complaints about any of them. They teach to his level (which is not the lowest, but the highest) and don't lump him into the majority. The principal is fantastic! She does so much for the kids and the school. She has a true love of her job and it shows. As others have said, we are in transition. Everything is looking up

Posted October 28, 2012

Our family has been with Blackford, for the past 9 years. Our children love their school. The principal has done a wonderful job with this school. It has been in transition with leadership in the last 2 years. I know that being an involved parent with the school, makes a big dif-ference in our childrens lives. I would recommend our school to every-one in our zoning district.

Posted July 23, 2012

Dear parents, I am confused totally after reading the reviews. Should I opt for this school or not. My kid had tough time dealing with kids bullying her when she was at another school district. We put her under a private school. Now that we own a property here I am still in a dilemma of choosing this school . i want a pleasant environment for my kids at aschool .Any suggestions

Posted April 24, 2012

Dear Parent, I am sorry that you had to witness the ugliness Friday night. Please be assured that this was promptly dealt with on Monday morning. I would invite you to come meet with me to gather real data as to the changes happening at Blackford in terms of discipline. I think it's important to have accurate information before making blanket statements. Please set up an appointment in the office, and I'd be happy to address your concerns.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 17, 2012

I have elementary school-aged children and own property in the area. I was think of moving back, but after reading the recent parent reviews I am no longer considering. My son attended 1st grade at Blackford and was bullied and the principal did nothing. I am very disappointed because the recent reviews indicate there is still a lot of bullying problems at this school.

Posted February 14, 2012

This school has to much bullying & violence and the teachers dont do anything...especially the subs. A 1 day suspension is not enough if I may say. The

Posted February 4, 2012

This school has gotten a little better but there are still lots of problems. The teachers are great and work hard to help students. The school looks better. That is why it gets two stars. That is all I can say that is good. Last week there was a second lockdown. The parents use bad language on school grounds and wear clothes that should not be worn around kids. Students are bullied, use bad language, and are bribed to be good with tickets. The PTA does not want help and treats volunteers badly. There is an English language group for parents, but they only welcome Spanish speakers. Kids change classes three times every day and have three different teachers every day. From what I have seen there are no consequences for bad behavior. Kids who are out of control or dangerous are back in class the day after they misbehave. The focus of the school is on Spanish speaking and low students. Nothing is done to encourage families or students that are white, asian, or black. Unless we see more changes we are going to take our kids out of this school.

Posted January 26, 2012

My son is in the third grade and this school has changed ALOT from K.. I am not going to lie, this school is in transition and is far from perfect but as more parents become involved and in combination with Mrs. Middlebrook's leadership the culture at Blackford is under going major changes for the good. Blackford s staff truly cares about the whole child and doesn t teach to the tests, they teach so that children can be successful. My son was bullied in K and the previous principal did nothing. Under Mrs Middlebrook there is no tolerance for it. Bullying is everywhere & at every school but, finally we have systems and rules to deal with it. You can see the difference by walking on campus, how things have changed in the last 3 years. I love that I have the power as a parent to be proactive for my child and that the school s leadership actually listens and works with us to find solutions, something that previously was not in place. I am excited to have my daughter starting there next year, Blackford is truly a school that is changing for the better and I am proud to be a part of it.

Posted January 26, 2012

Both my daughters have attended Blackford. My oldest is now in high school. My youngest is in third grade. This school has made many changes for the better since my older daughter started at the school. I am impressed with the changes since Mrs. Middlebrook has been at the school. I know there is still some bullying at the school but the number of students, staff, teachers and parents around the school has helped the students be better upstanders to help stop the bully's. Systems are in place and staff, parents and students are helping the school be a better place to be. The teachers are great and each grade levelare working together to help students succeed. This school has made great changes in the past three years and continues to make more changes each year. More parents are getting involved to in the classroom and around the school. We are still in transition but making great movement to the positive and working to make our school better each year.

Posted January 23, 2012

Principal has done nothing to stop school yard bullying. My daughter has been taunted, picked on, teased, kicked, had objects thrown at her, for way too long. I thought she was exaggerating, but after getting a phone call from from a parent who works as a yard duty confirming everything my daughter has told me; Enough is Enough! My wife was in tears after hearing what our child has gone through. This yard duty has gone to the principal many times, but nothing has been done to discipline these bad kids. Mrs. Middlebrook doesn't deserve to have a job. If you want your daughter tortured then by all means, bring her to this horrible school.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students43%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Orthopedic impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

Clubs
  • Student newspaper

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

School start time
  • 8:35 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • James Crawford
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (408) 341-7110

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Student newspaper

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom