School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the current administrator of Blackford I am so incredibly honored to work at this school. Our students, parents, and community are absolutely wonderful and the staff cares about each and every student and how to best meet their needs. Starting as a classroom teacher, then an instructional coach, assistant principal, and now principal, my belief in this school only gets stronger each year. I truly believe that all children have the right to a high quality education where they can learn, know they are valued and important, and can achieve their goals and dreams no matter what circumstances. I love the opportunity to talk with our parents and community members and encourage consistent communication and therefore have an open door policy. I can not imagine a more wonderful school to be a part of.
February 11, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

I was treated poorly when I worked here and bullied not only by other teachers but by the principal as well.

As a teacher, I have never worked at a school with such strong and caring administration and with such high morale among staff and students. The staff is comprised of individuals who care deeply about the students and work hard to provide an environment where every one of them can succeed. In addition to the exceptional team, the school offers numerous programs and support services that many other schools do not. These include Project Cornerstone - Los Dichos, Brazilian Drumming, Playworks, and EMQ Families First, just to name a few. Come see for yourself all the great things that are happening here!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Blackford staff continually supports and genuinely cares about each student. I've seen it first hand not only with my kids but with others as they smile and laugh and interact with various teachers and staff. I've seen students take tremendous pride in their work, whether it be a science project or any STEAM based assignment or recognition at a RAR assembly.

Blackford is our neighborhood school and we take such pride in sending our kids to this wonderful school. I see the previous reviews where it seems some families have had issues. It makes me sad to hear that but I must say that I strongly disagree with any statement regarding the staff and administrators being anything but amazing. Our five years at Blackford have been really great. Any school will have issues and Blackford is no exception. The difference is the amount of care and concern that goes into taking care of our kids and making sure they have every opportunity to thrive. Biggest difference you can make as a parent is to stay involved in your child's academic journey. It has made a tremendous impact on my kids and their success and even the failures. If you are considering Blackford, I urge you to come meet the principal and staff. I know you will be so very pleased. Our school can only get better if our neighborhood gives it a fair chance. And beyond my opinion, both my kids love Blackford!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 11, 2016

We love Blackford! It has been a great school for my daughter for the past 3 years!

Develops character: Strongly agree

We are in our 3rd year at Blackford and we couldn't be happier. All the staff (teachers and office) have been amazing and friendly. My daughter enjoys going to school everyday and has loved every single day because she enjoys being with her friends and teacher. Being a parent and being involved in the Blackford community is a bonus...there are so many positives to it...I strongly suggest every parent volunteer their time to really see how amazing Blackford is and how hard they work to make this an amazing school for everyone!

My 4th grade daughter has had pretty severe anxiety issues about school since the beginning of the school year, even though this is her 4th year to attend Blackford. The principal, vice principal, counselor, teacher, and other staff members have been great about helping us work through the issues, sometimes on a daily basis. It's mid February and I think we're finally on the other side. As with any situation, communication is key. THe staff and teachers at Blackford are always willing to help you through your problems or give you resources.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers I encountered were nice but they are afraid of the administrators and the principles therefore they cannot and will not protect your children

Amount of homework: no rating

I don't know because my daughter was never given homework to complete at home she was forced to stay after school and finish all her homework

Last modified Blackford Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.