Blackford Elementary School 5

Posted August 17, 2015
My children have been at this school for the past 2 school years. It is by far one of the best elementary schools that my children have ever attended and I look forward to the 2015-2016 school year!

Posted May 14, 2015
The teachers and administrators at Blackford make a huge effort to make it a successful school. The parent community is improving with each year that we attend. We have been attending for 3 years, attending grades tk, k, 1, 2, 3, and 4 between 3 children. I firmly believe that a lot of experiences depend on your attitude and involvement. I spend a lot of time on campus volunteering. Our public schools won't get better until parents shift their mindset and send their kids to public schools. As long as you are involved, your child will get a great education and have a good experience.

Posted April 26, 2015
As we are finishing up our fourth year at Blackford with many more to go, I am still so impressed with all of the improvements happening at this school. The staff is so committed to making our children's experience not only positive but productive and successful. I have a tremendous amount of praise for the office staff and how they manage the day to day business of our school. The principal and her staff have set the tone and created a community committed to making Blackford a neighborhood school you would be proud to send your child to. We are looking forward to another great year next year!

Posted April 26, 2015
I am a parent of a 1st grader...I have been very happy here at Blackford. We are very involved in the school and PTA, which by the way is amazing. They have done such a great job creating a community within Blackford. It's not perfect but its improved leaps and bounds from prior years. The staff has been wonderful and both teachers we've had are amazing and so caring. I had hesitations coming in at kinder, but those were long gone the first day of school...we felt happy to be part of Blackford and continue to feel that way...and being involved makes it all worth while. Go Bobcats!!

Posted March 12, 2015
My son has been attending since TK, and although, he has had his us and downs, MOST of the staff has been very supporting, I am thankful for the support my sons teachers have given him, Ms Enfantino, Ms Miranda and Mr,. Marshall. And Ms. Wilson!! Best yard duty! I do pray every year and hope it is not a teacher that will under stand my child's unique needs. (I've heard stories). My childs home school is another one but since I have had pretty good support here I have not moved him. Yes there is bullying but ITS EVERYWHERE. The few times I have had to report something it was dealt with with the expection of one time, in which I had to go to the principal. I also enjoy the culture, there is a mix of almost every ethnicity, which helps! I love the new multipurpose room!

Blackford Elementary School 3

Posted March 12, 2014
I could write a much longer review, but I wanted to address the comments regarding bullying at this time. My son was being "bullied" (though I hate to use that term, because I think its way over used) at the beginning of the year. A boy was being physical with him, daily. I wasn't satisfied with the response from the Yard Duty, so I went to the administration (specifically the VP Mrs. Frese) and it was immediately dealt with. Changes were made, and appropriate teachers/yard duty were contacted, by the next day. Starting the very next day, I never heard my son complain about this issue again (and yes I asked often :) I certainly don't think the school is perfect, but I think bullying is something they do work hard to stop. They offer rewards for children who go so many weeks without referrals, they encourage the students, and they take immediate action. Kids don't always listen the first time, but it doesn't mean action isn't being taken. If you are concerned about the school, go for a tour, meet the principal and Vice Principal, attend a PTA meeting (or ELAC meeting) and get to know the parents.

Posted March 09, 2014
This school has been going through many transitions over the last few years. With the new Cafeteria, upcoming improvements in the grounds, and an incredibly positive parent and teacher community, we are working to make this a neighborhood school. Students are participating in STEAM and incorporating science, engineering and art into the daily routine. At any school you can have a bad experience, but it's how you move forward and help to change the atmosphere where you are. Before knocking the school, come see it and decide for yourself. The best way to support public education is to support your local school. Come see what Blackford has to offer!

Posted February 06, 2014
Not sure how/why my review being deleted over and over, but it was more or less: This school has had some serious sanitation issues, including black mold. The staff is more concerned about painting their lunch room than maintaining clean eating spaces for the kids. The bullying is out-of-control with almost no recourse available to the parents. Just look at the number of reviews citing this My daughter was there for 3 years. The good teachers are repressed and tend to be threaten by the principle to stay in-line or be given their worst duties (whatever that is they don t like). If you plan to have your child there, you will need to stay on top of things: attend PTA and keep a close watch on the facilities. Report bullying to the police and district or you will get nowhere read others reviews below. There is general racism towards whites at this school. The 4 and 5 stars reviews are probably not real. Strongly recommend avoiding this school unless you are impoverished or have no choice. The teachers are scarred to speak out due to past retribution, given the district will barely listen.

Posted January 23, 2014
THE WORST SCHOOL my 3rd grader ever attended for 6 months. Bad Teachers, Bad Substitutes, Bad children, Bad Principal = BAD SCHOOL! STAY AWAY!!!! My daughter was punched in the stomach by a boy in her class and was forced to sit next to him until I found out about it. Worst Principal EVER!

Posted April 12, 2013
When my son was in 5th grade he dealt with horrible BULLYING. He still has severe problems with his self esteem. My son had a medical condition and the kids bullied him about it. When they finally met with my son they offered him a class on how to deal with bullies. There was NO consequences for the bullies. Both of my sons were physically assaulted. The principal at the time was completely incompetent. I was so upset and had to contact the superintendent to deal with this issue. They finally (near the end of the year) brought in a behavior specialists who finally started suspending the kids who were physically assaulting other kids. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Blackford Elementary School
1970 Willow Street, San Jose, CA  95125
Last modified Blackford Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blackford Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top