Blackford Elementary School 3

Posted March 12, 2014
I could write a much longer review, but I wanted to address the comments regarding bullying at this time. My son was being "bullied" (though I hate to use that term, because I think its way over used) at the beginning of the year. A boy was being physical with him, daily. I wasn't satisfied with the response from the Yard Duty, so I went to the administration (specifically the VP Mrs. Frese) and it was immediately dealt with. Changes were made, and appropriate teachers/yard duty were contacted, by the next day. Starting the very next day, I never heard my son complain about this issue again (and yes I asked often :) I certainly don't think the school is perfect, but I think bullying is something they do work hard to stop. They offer rewards for children who go so many weeks without referrals, they encourage the students, and they take immediate action. Kids don't always listen the first time, but it doesn't mean action isn't being taken. If you are concerned about the school, go for a tour, meet the principal and Vice Principal, attend a PTA meeting (or ELAC meeting) and get to know the parents.

Posted March 09, 2014
This last review seems to be outdated. The new and amazing multi-purpose room has been incredible. The kids love it and it has gotten praise throughout the district for it's design and energy efficiency. More major improvements are coming and the beautification project continues. My experience over the last 3 years has been really positive. Yes, there are challenges, as with any school, but the teachers and principle are really dedicated and committed to maximizing this schools potential and changes are happening all the time. Bullying and referrals are way down...just speak to the principle to get the facts. And yes, I agree, as parents we should do our best to stay involved in our child's academic journey any way possible. If you are a concerned parent in any way...please help us make this school better by being constructive and productive. It's our children that suffer with the negativity. As a community, I hope we can work together to continue improvements at Blackford and in our children's experience. I also must say, both of my kids love Blackford!

Posted March 09, 2014
This school has been going through many transitions over the last few years. With the new Cafeteria, upcoming improvements in the grounds, and an incredibly positive parent and teacher community, we are working to make this a neighborhood school. Students are participating in STEAM and incorporating science, engineering and art into the daily routine. At any school you can have a bad experience, but it's how you move forward and help to change the atmosphere where you are. Before knocking the school, come see it and decide for yourself. The best way to support public education is to support your local school. Come see what Blackford has to offer!

Posted February 06, 2014
Not sure how/why my review being deleted over and over, but it was more or less: This school has had some serious sanitation issues, including black mold. The staff is more concerned about painting their lunch room than maintaining clean eating spaces for the kids. The bullying is out-of-control with almost no recourse available to the parents. Just look at the number of reviews citing this My daughter was there for 3 years. The good teachers are repressed and tend to be threaten by the principle to stay in-line or be given their worst duties (whatever that is they don t like). If you plan to have your child there, you will need to stay on top of things: attend PTA and keep a close watch on the facilities. Report bullying to the police and district or you will get nowhere read others reviews below. There is general racism towards whites at this school. The 4 and 5 stars reviews are probably not real. Strongly recommend avoiding this school unless you are impoverished or have no choice. The teachers are scarred to speak out due to past retribution, given the district will barely listen.

Posted January 23, 2014
THE WORST SCHOOL my 3rd grader ever attended for 6 months. Bad Teachers, Bad Substitutes, Bad children, Bad Principal = BAD SCHOOL! STAY AWAY!!!! My daughter was punched in the stomach by a boy in her class and was forced to sit next to him until I found out about it. Worst Principal EVER!

Posted September 05, 2013
We moved to San Jose from another state last year and decided to send our kids to our neighborhood school despite the fact that most of the neighbors send their kids to private school and the test scores were not stellar. It was a very different environment than my kids were used to, partly from the diversity, partly from the change in state education systems, partly from the urban vs. suburban culture change. My daughter had a difficult time with staying at school without crying when I left. The administration went above and beyond their responsibilities to help her, and after a few days she was fine. This school year is proving to be the same, and though the administration has changed, they are still helping her adjust at the beginning of the school day and after a few minutes she calms down and heads to class. You can look at the detailed data on the CDE website but don't overlook the fact that the scores at Blackford are lower in part because of the number of students who are speaking English as a second language. It is slow progress but we are improving.

Posted April 12, 2013
When my son was in 5th grade he dealt with horrible BULLYING. He still has severe problems with his self esteem. My son had a medical condition and the kids bullied him about it. When they finally met with my son they offered him a class on how to deal with bullies. There was NO consequences for the bullies. Both of my sons were physically assaulted. The principal at the time was completely incompetent. I was so upset and had to contact the superintendent to deal with this issue. They finally (near the end of the year) brought in a behavior specialists who finally started suspending the kids who were physically assaulting other kids. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Blackford Elementary School 2

Posted March 02, 2013
Not sure how my last review was deleted but it was. My son has been going to Blackford for 3 years and bullying and under staffing has always been a problem every year. My son has been bullied every year and it is difficult to find a yard duty teacher sometimes. During his kindergarten year the lunch room was understaffed and things would get out of control. I have always been an active parent and have volunteered for countless hours. Some people want to defend Blackford no matter what but the truth is things need tremendous improvement and there is too much bullying going on.

Posted February 12, 2013
I am sorry if being at the school every single day for an entire year to help in the lunch room while it was understaffed is not being involved enough for you.

Posted February 12, 2013
Thank you parent below...for your response to my inquiry about the school. I did go on a tour with the principal...she was great, personable, patient, very kind and was preceived well by all students at the school. You can tell she's very much involved with each student and wants to make Blackford a stand out school. I appreciated all the time she spend with me and open way she answered my concerns to what I've read/heard. My views have definitely changed after my visit...I will take Blackford into consideration now when registering my daughter for kinder. The students seemed very happy on our visit and eager to show Mrs. Middlebrook their progress. I am a hands on parent and would love to have that capability to be involved in the school as well. It's great to know it's encouraged by all there. Thanks again.

Blackford Elementary School
1970 Willow Street, San Jose, CA  95125
Last modified Blackford Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blackford Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top