Forest Hill Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 578 students

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $620,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted April 14, 2014

We love Forest Hill. The teachers are very involved with the kids. It is a fantastic community. My daughter is happy to go and is learning so much. They do activities in the classroom that make the lessons stick. She is forever telling me how things work. My son can't wait to go into kindergarten. He already knows many of the teachers and staff. I haven't seen a better elementary school. Oh, I also love the big redwood trees in the school yard and the open feel of the campus. A little old, but definitely loved.

Posted January 25, 2012

Our 5th grader has gone to Forest Hill since Kindergarten, and we can honestly say we will miss this school! Even with the new principal, we have had the most satisfying experience with the teachers (who are some of the best role models for the students that we have ever met), staff, families, quality of education, learning environment, and extracurricular programs. It is not our home school, which is unfortunate because our younger child will start Kindergarten this fall, and we are not confident that we will make the cut for Open Enrollment like we did with our older child so many years ago. We were extremely lucky to have been part of this community.

Posted July 24, 2011

My children are excelling in school and it's in great part to Forest Hill teachers committment to excellence. I'm grateful that this school community supports Project Cornerstone (www.projectcornerstone.org) too. I hope my kids will remain there until the end of 5th grade.

Posted January 25, 2011

Top Teachers and PTA does a great job. The kids learn and have a great deal of fun. Many extra activities for the kids.

Posted October 20, 2009

Wonderful teachers, phenomenal parents and awesome students....we could not be prouder to send our child there and be part of the Forest Hill community!

Posted May 23, 2009

My child will be entering fifth grade next year and FHS. This school has an excellent devoted, thoughtful, seasoned professional faculty and staff. I have been consistently pleased with every teacher. Principal Potts is very open to new ideas and great on follow through in addition to being a great communicator (lacking at many public schools). Great community feel with great families and much participation at the annual Country Fair, Holiday Giving Program, After school activities like drama, art, science...This public school maximizes what they have. You will very happy at this school.

Posted May 18, 2009

My son is attending Kindergarten at Miss Hannan class. I am very pleased with the school and his teacher. She is very kind and Nice teacher. He is learning a lot everyday. They have music classes as well. I am also very pleased with Campbell care on site.

Posted March 22, 2009

Just moved to Forest Hill and am very pleased. Excellent school, rigorous academics, great extra-curricular activities. My children receive art and music education, participate in plays and even saw an opera this year! Teachers and leadership are outstanding.

Posted May 28, 2008

#1 Forest Hill/Campbell Care has exceeding my sons and my expectaions on every level, education, safety, leadership. It is a great pleasure for me to have my son to be influenced in such a positive and goal oriented way. On that note-my son also has great pride in attending and is determined in doing well at school. Both Forest Hill and Campbell Care are highly recommended. I am a single parent and wouldn't be able to have such success with keeping my son on track without all of the positive influences he ha had! Respectfully, Ms. A. Tasha Birch

Posted August 31, 2007

We are starting our third year at Forest Hill (my two boys just started 2nd and 1st grade). We are very happy with the quality of the teachers and staff. Forest Hill also has onsite after-school day care which is a godsend -- the ' Campbell Care' program is also quite good - includes clubs for sports, gardening, science.

Posted May 29, 2007

My son has attended Kindergarten here this year. We were considering a private school because I am not impressed with the home school. Fortunately we managed to enrol him through the open enrollment facility of the district and I have been highly impressed with the school. Trish Caldwell has been an excellent teacher, firm but encouraging, and I have nothing but praise for the school. The only downside is that like all California public schools, it struggles with inadequate funding, relying heavily on a very supportive PTA to prop it up. We are moving to Georgia this year, and it is highly evident that State funding is much more generous that it is in California - pretty sad when these children are our future.

Posted September 18, 2006

Forest hill elementary school has been improving year after year. Our children have had great instructors and enjoy the school day. The parental involvement is a big factor in the positive, community environment at this fine school.We highly recommend forest hill.

Posted September 18, 2006

I love forest hill! I have one child in 4th and one in k. My oldest just left for middle school. I cannot be happier with the staff or education at fh. My 4th grader is in resource and gate (go figure) and he has come so far because of the love and dedication of the teachers and principal. He has a audio processing disorder, add and gad(general anxiety disorder). All of his teachers and the principal lani potts has worked very hard to work with him and for him. He has made huge progress only because of their hard work and dedication. With that said, my oldest has no learning issues (just your average kid) and he excelled as well. My kindergartner loves her teacher and is learning so much! Lani potts is warm, open and not only the parents love her, but the kids do as well. A++++++++++++++

Posted May 10, 2006

My daughter entered second grade at Forest Hill this year. We have been very impressed with the school. The other parents are very involved which makes a huge difference. The teachers and staff really care about the children and helping them to learn. There are some rotational classes that present extracurricular activities such as art and science. I would like to see a little more access to music and art programs.

Posted March 14, 2006

I have loved the early elementary program here at Forest Hill. The teachers are knowledgable and nurturing. They teach creatively without being bogged down with district requirements which results in an excellent program.

Posted January 23, 2006

My daughter is in the first grade, and we've been very lucky with both teachers so far. They learn at school both academic programs and the social skills. It looks like there is a strong sense of community there. They have plenty of field trips, nice environment. Both we and our daughter are happy with the school.

Posted June 22, 2005

My child just finished her kindergarten year with great success. Ms. Joice offers a safe, structured environment with clear boundaries - essential for a childs entry into grammar school. PTA is filled with fun, caring parents willing to do what it takes to create a true community at Forest Hill. We are so lucky to have Maria wetzel as our new principal this year. She definitely leads this school with warmth, grace and true leadership. Slowly there are improvements being made to the grounds. Measure H funds have been delayed until 2006 to remodel the front of the school which is unfortunate. But new lovely blue fencing will be added to the entire perimeter of the school this summer for added security. The Kinder playground is small but the children adapt quickly. Great field trips, love the community spirit and events. You will be very pleased with this school I am.

Posted June 8, 2005

I think this school has done a good job with my son until he entered a 4th / 5th grade combo class. Then he had almost no science and little social studies during the year. he didn't even get to do the 5th grade science report that the regular 5th grade class did.

Posted April 2, 2005

I have three children, all of whom attend or have attended Forest Hill. My eldest daughter is now in Middle School at Rolling Hills, and has a 4.0 grade point average and consistently scores in the mid to high 90th percentile on STAR exams. My second daughter is in 5th grade at Forest Hill. She is in GATE, student council, excels in class and consistently scores in the high 90th percentile on STAR exams. My son is in 1st grade, and absolutely loves school and all the teachers he's had so far. I could not ask for better instruction for my children, or more involved and committed teachers than they have had. To say that in every respect the principal, teachers, parent volunteers, and support staff go the extra mile is an understatement. In my opinion, from top to bottom, Forest Hill gets an A+!

Posted April 1, 2005

The FH community is one of the best with great support and caring parents. The quality of the teaching staff is also second to none.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students78%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • James Crawford
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
Fax number
  • (408) 341-7140

Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • by application