484 students|Campbell Union

Bad
Good

Posted February 02, 2015
As another reviewer noted, if your child does NOT already speak Spanish, prepare for Spanish teachers who aren't willing to care much. My son has been attending Sherman Oaks for two years. Our experience with the English teachers has been great, but with the Spanish teachers, horrible. We are not native Spanish speakers and we have little guidance from the school as to what type of at home curriculum will help. Our son finds learning Spanish difficult and loses focus. The advice we are getting now is not how to help him engage and learn, but to reconsider dual immersion. I was under the impression this school's mission was to teach non Spanish speakers Spanish, but it certainly does not feel that way. If you are thinking of having your child attend Sherman Oaks to learn Spanish as a second language, expect little help from the Spanish speaking faculty and really think about how much time you have to be a 2nd teacher at home, as this will hands down be required. I don't mean helping with homework, that is just being a parent. I really mean committing an inordinate amount of time to being a Spanish teacher. We will be leaving the school and hiring a private Spanish tutor.

Sherman Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted January 23, 2015
My child started Kindergarten at Sherman Oaks this past fall. The school is in quite a period of transition (new principal, moving to 90/10 immersion model), yet I have found the school amazing so far! The PTC is great, and welcomes new parents lovingly. I already feel like part of a community. My son is a native English speaker, and had almost NO exposure to Spanish prior to Sherman Oaks. In his first few months, he has become very comfortable hearing and understanding Spanish. He is not yet comfortable speaking it, but I know that will take some time. Overall, I am extremely happy with our experience at the school so far.

Posted May 03, 2013
my children are currently in Sherman oaks elementary charter, this was a great school up to last year,with a great principal who new each child and parent by their name, she gave her heart and Saul to this school but unfortunately she had to leave. now we have the worse principal who is emotionless, cold and unfriendly. the teachers, staff and students don't like her. I'm thinking of moving my children to a different school next year since the atmosphere in the school is unbearable. think twice before you put your child there.

Posted April 20, 2013
My son has been attending Sherman Oaks for four years now. Our experience has be horrible and a nightmare. If your child do NOT Speak Spanish your child will be bullied and out cased by the Principal, Spanish teachers and students. If you are thinking of having your child attend Sherman Oaks to learn Spanish as a second language. You will get NO help by the Spanish teachers or especially the Principal. However, I do believe that the PTC is great at Sherman Oaks. They do there best to better the school. If it wasn't for the PTC the school would be much worst due to the principal's lack of genuine interest in the children that attend Sherman Oaks.

Posted August 22, 2012
My oldest son attended Sherman Oaks Community Charter School for Kindergarten during the 2011-2012 school year. If not for unemployment and a financial need to relocate, he would still be attending for 1st grade. I was more than satisfied with his team of teachers for English (Mrs. Laver) and Spanish (Maestra Bettencourt). They always made themselves available, when requested, and maintained open lines of communication by providing either verbal reports and/or email as to my son. Mr. Jerome is an added positive factor. He thoroughly engages the students and provides discipline in a positive, non-threatening manner. They flock to him like the pied piper. I met with the principal once regarding an incident between my son and his friend; it was addressed and handled appropriately. As for the PTC, I actively participated at events and attended meetings. While there was always a dozen parents that remained consistently involved at every event/meeting, there were a dozen more that were behind the scenes providing their support. With the last election at the end of the school year, PTC will have even more of a presence. Sherman Oaks is a quality school and supportive community. I miss it!

Posted December 06, 2011
Sherman Oaks has proven itself to be one excellent school. Even in the worst budget times, the school tries to have students participate in multicultural and learning activities. Twice a year the children present their science or social science projects at exhibition night (bilingually). The exhibitions include writing, artwork, research and technology. They also learn about various multicultural events and participate in them each year. The teachers at this school work extremely hard; coordinating curriculum as a dual immersion language team is not easy, and they do it with enthusiasm. All of my son's teachers made themselves available almost daily for after school or before school homework help, and they are have always been willing to talk to parents who have questions or concerns. If you analyze the test scores at this school, they show that all groups of children are making great progress. Parents do participate at Sherman Oaks, it is just that many of us work. I have always had to do take home work or help at events, because I work full time. Other parents make sure to bring potluck dishes or prepare homework packets. There are always lots of parents at school events.

Sherman Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted December 05, 2011
Sherman Oaks is a wonderful school with amazing teachers. My children love going there and I feel very comfortable with the school and the direction it is taking. Nothing is ever perfect and there will always be something that strikes a person the wrong way but the good definitely out way the bad. "Be the change you want to see" is the only advise I can give to those who are unhappy at the school.

Sherman Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted December 04, 2011
I have three children at this school. Most (maybe 18 of 22) teachers are good. PTC is horrible. Parents do not like to participate. Principal situation there is horrible. Not one in the time I have been there has been positive. The current one yells at the kids. Dual immersion is so important...it is too bad the environment is not up to par. Other great immersion schools in the area. I suggest you look to them first.

Posted June 23, 2010
Im very proud of my son, he is now a bilingual little boy. Spanish is the primary language of approximately 330 million people around the world. It is a second language for nearly 50 million people. In a world that is rapidly growing smaller, thanks to technology and a global economy, the value of being able to communicate in Spanish should not be underestimated. Further, access to a rich world of art, literature, history and music becomes available through one's knowledge of Spanish. Children receiving an early bilingual education at Sherman Oaks Elementry have a unique advantage. In addition to the developmental and educational benefits of learning Spanish early on, they are better prepared to thrive in and appreciate a multi-cultural environment at any age.

Sherman Oaks Elementary School

Posted March 27, 2008
This school offers a strong curriculum for students in both English and Spanish. Kindergarterners are taught in an emersion program that allows them to embrace learning a new language while teaching new skills in both English and Spanish. The children are given homework and books in both languages to encourage additional learning at home.

Sherman Oaks Elementary School
1800 Fruitdale Avenue, San Jose, CA  95128-4970
Last modified Sherman Oaks Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.