San Jose, CA
Students enrolled: 1,160

Posted February 07, 2015
My daughter is a Freshman at Del Mar. With a student enrollment about half of that of the other high schools in the area there is more support from teachers not overloaded by overflowing classrooms. She is also able to be more involved in the student community, with plenty of lunch time club options and more no-cut sports opportunities. What has us most excited is the school's International Baccalaureate candidacy and the higher caliber of teaching candidates that the program has already brought to the school. We're both looking forward to the years ahead until she graduates.

Posted January 12, 2015
My son is a freshman at Del Mar, and has been so excited to take advantage of the opportunities he's found at Del Mar! He's involved in community service through the Key Club (affiliated with Kiwanis), is active in Model UN, and a couple of other clubs. He has been totally accepted, even though he's a nerdy kid, totally not athletic. He came home from Middle School having seen the presentation about the IB program being established at Del Mar, and he wanted in! He's stayed enthusiastic and motivated, is getting very good grades, and is developing into an awesome member of the community, both at school and in general!

Posted June 20, 2011
Hi, Respected Sir / Madam, I am from India planning to settle in california san jose as my husband is already a doctor at national institute. i have a daughter she is 15 years and she is in class x. how do i get her admission in your school would like to know the procedure.can she get her admission in class xi?i have gone through the net to see the records of the schools in san jose but i found your school good in all around. please help me regarding this factor. Best wishes Lipi Biswas

Del Mar High School 4

Posted January 11, 2011
My daughter attended Del Mar her freshman year and had a great educational experience. The teachers really seemed to care about the individual students and helping them to succeed. The "Small earning communities" idea was very good at helping the teachers learn about the students, enabling kids to stay on track and to meet fellow students. The block schedule was great at alleviating too much homework. The only negative was the student body overall which seemed to have a lot of under motivated kids and parents not involved. Due to a move, my daughter now goes to Leland which is ranked very high academically (I believe through no fault of the teachers who mostly seem interested in the A/P students. ) Spirit is very good and the school is very safe. Pressure to excel is high. .

Del Mar High School 3

Posted December 31, 2008
As of this year, I am no longer a parent of a student at Del Mar. However, I was concerned last year that kids got out of school about 1:30 PM (school started at 8:00 AM). That seems to be to be really short for a normal student day. I am also concerned because most of us parents don't get home until 5:30 PM and I think four hours of unsupervised time for 14 to 16 years olds is asking for trouble. I know too many pregnant girls in my neighborhood.

Posted February 16, 2008
im a senior at Del Mar high school and im really proud to say that Del Mar is now one of the best schools. It is now a distinguished school and its changing the bad reputation that the media gave it in past years. Im proud to say that I have a 4.16 GPA and its all thanks to the great teachers at Del Mar.

Del Mar High School 3

Posted August 09, 2007
To be perfectly honest, I think Del Mar Has a lot of improvements that still need to be done. My son has attended there since his Freshman year and will be a senior this year, He will NOT be returning to Del Mar. His grades started to drop from 9th with a 3.16 GPA and leaving 11th it dropped to a 2.1 with him really struggling to reach that. I don't feel my son is reaching his full potential.The teachers for the most part were responsive, but his safety is a huge concern. Mr Russell Has made some improvements but he really needs to find a lot more funding for sports so parents don't go broke trying to keep sports appealing to the kids! They need sports to keep there heads straight!

Posted July 12, 2007
The only thing really lacking at Del Mar is involvement, from both the parents and the students themselves. Del Mar could be a great school if more students got involved in what Del Mar does have to offer, instead of complaining about what it doesn't. Really, a student's experience at Del Mar is what they make of it, not what the school offers.

Posted July 12, 2007
I have no complaints about my daughter's high school. Del Mar has had extraordinary growth in STAR scores and the teachers seem to be doing a fine job. Principal Jim Russel has brought Del Mar out of the Dark Ages.

Del Mar High School 4

Posted March 28, 2007
I think the most obvious reason that Del Mar High has seen an upswing in attitude and test scores is principal Jim Russell. His leadership and direction is clearly evident. We had huge doubts about sending our 2 children there. Now I'm glad we did. My daughter has been accepted to 5 state colleges and my son will soon transfer to one. Thanks to Jim and the entire DM staff for making this a better school and one that the community can be proud of. John Welch

Del Mar High School
1224 Del Mar Avenue, San Jose, CA  95128
Last modified Del Mar High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Del Mar High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top