Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 4

Posted December 18, 2014
I am a student. Our principal of 2.5 years resigned today, but left last week. I thought about this whole thing makes more sense that he is he actually an alien from outer space and the mother ship came to take him back. I hope he and his outer space aliens like us earthings.

Posted August 07, 2014
I have 3 kids here in 1st, 3rd and 5th. They all like Dilworth very much. They used to go to Sedgwick. Since CUSD offers the choice a year ago, so we decide to send them over. It is true that many kids go to after school programs since both of parents are working or just due to Asia culture to put more pressures on kid. My K student was obviously behind at the beginning cause most of kids seem know already. I don't feel anything bad regarding getting more peer pressures from other students. It's good to them. We like all of the 3 teachers we had last year. My kids like the principal as well. One of them even likes to speak with him when possible. He is very nice to listen and answer those silly questions from a curious boy. We didn't volunteer a lot but when we have time, it is a very nice experience and opportunity to see how your kid fits in the school when helping correct their spellings or go on a field trip. There are some special need students at Dilworth as well. I think this is very good. We are living in a relatively rich community. We can teach kids to help people with needs and care for the community. Overall, we like Dilworth very much! It's a good community.

Posted September 01, 2013
My daughter has been a student at Dilworth for 3 years and I am very happy with teachers/classmates. This is a neighborhood school and since enrollment has been declining they opened the boundary this year (2013-2014) to allow additional students. This has solved the problem of low enrollment (numbers had been decreasing) which had led to many combo classes in the past. The teachers we have had so far have been truly wonderful - and the kids here come from households were education is very valued. The school is also committed to helping those who need it, the teachers give out their Email/phone, and the new principal seems very engaged in helping the staff get what they need. In my view it would be hard for a child to fall through the cracks unless the child/parent are not working with the teacher. My daughter had a rough start in kindergarten since we had chosen not to "teach" reading prior to K, but working with her teacher she caught on quickly and was at level by Spring. To me the main downside is the pressure some of the parents put on their kids at a very early age and the competitiveness even in early grades.

Posted August 21, 2013
First I'd like to note that I was disturbed by one of the previous commenters who thinks he has exclusive rights to Dilworth since he's paying the high property prices of this area...I think it's a great thing that Dilworth has opened up to other non-neighborhood students. Hello, isn't public education supposed to educate our kids regardless of their economic background?? If you don't like that, go to private school, but don't think you deserve exclusivity because you bought a house here. Rant over. We've been happy with Dilworth; our son is happy and loves his teachers. He gets the help he needs with his speech. Overall, it's a friendly, caring school.
3 people found this helpful

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 3

Posted July 30, 2013
There is a new principal this past school year. He does not act and look like a principal. He reminds me of the men in the movie "Men in Black". Dilworth needs strong leadership and as a kid I do not see it at all. The new school principal needs to show us improvement or students will go on a strike student .

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 2

Posted June 27, 2013
Dilworth is bad because it needs a a lot of improvements.1, barely any of the teachers are nice.Only 4 teachers I like in this school. Especially that some teachers are really rude. Teachers have a favorite kid in there class most of the time , and it isn't fair. Some wave off questions and accuse kids of things they didn't do. And the principal now is very snobbish and he talks to kids way different than he talks to parents (which I dislike) and always dresses in a buisness suit and tie like he's going to an office, not a school. He is also not very involved. I can tell some of the staff members dislike him. 2, the schools maintanince is bad. The bathrooms smell terrible and people write and carve things inside (which are mainly bad words) and the tanbark that they put on the playground can really hurt someone. One of the teachers got hurt because of this and so many students have too. There are cigarettes on the ground and no one bothers to put it in an ashtray.Three, most teachers only teach what they are supposed to, and have no styles of teaching or tell the students whats happening around the community and teach boring things and have no experience in other jobs. ~ 4th grader

Posted May 09, 2013
I am not sure why people, when asked for a school review, write about how the families around the area live nearby are like sardines. I am not sure how it matters to this content. This school is nice, there are really dedicated teachers who care about the children. My kids go here and they love it. Teachers are very friendly, answer emails when you have questions, stop by to talk to you when you have questions, provide you feedback when needed.

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 3

Posted May 04, 2013
I agree with the parent below me. This school loves kids that can learn on their own and does not require much attention. There are many of these kinds of children attending this school and about 30% of these students get private tutoring. The teachers/staff love this kind of students. Why? This makes their job so much easier on them. If you have kid(s) that are the ideal type, then this school is for them. This school is more like 95% Asian. My neighbor had moved their grandchildren to Devargas several years back where there is way more diversity, but low API. You cannot have it all, so take your pick of diversity with low API or no diversity and high API.

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 1

Posted May 01, 2013
I gave it a try few years back and it didn't work for my kid. If your kid is independent and doesn't require attention then this school will workout.

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School 4

Posted April 30, 2013
This school along with Collins, Regnart, Lincoln, & Garden Gate is pretty much the same. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. As many parents already know California is still very much behind other states. I know the state of California set the standard of what to be taught at each grade level, but it is so slow. Kids are like sponges and my child is bore to death.

Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School
1101 Strayer Drive, San Jose, CA  95129
Last modified Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nelson S. Dilworth Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top