George V. Leyva Intermediate School

Public | 7-8

Living in San Jose

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $280,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,530.

Posted April 25, 2014

LeyVa Middle School... Home of the Bulldogs! I just want to say all the negative comments that are made about this school are absolutely false. I thought that this school was going to be a living nightmare, but I was wrong. I look at the other middle schools in our district, Chaboya and Quimby Oak, and I say to myself out of all the three middle schools I could've gone to, I'm happy I have the opportunity to go here. The staff are amazing. They never push a problem to the side no matter how small. The students here might not be angels, but we're one big proud family. This school has so much purple and gold spirit. I love you LeyVa! GO BULLDOGS!!!!

Posted March 14, 2013

I am a seventh grader here, and this school is just AWESOME. So many things and activities to do! There are also a lot of electives like Band, Drama, Teacher Assistant, Computer Tech, and a lot more. As far as this year, there is not a lot of trouble at this school. The kids here are so great and really outgoing. There are also sports here like Boys/Girls Wresting, Boys/Girls volleyball, Boys/Girls soccer, Boys/Girls basketball, Cross Country, and Track and Field. I am currently on the girl's soccer team and it is SO fun! The teachers here are great as well. They make sure you're on the right track and they will help pretty much anyone. I love this school and I'm happy I'll be here next year as an eighth grader! :)

Posted June 20, 2012

I just graduated from LeyVa middle school. I think this school is wonderful! There are so many activities available for students! I love how the teachers here are really dedicated to teaching. They would spend whatever time they have to helping students understand the concept. LeyVa has a great after school sports program. Even though they're budget cuts, the school manages to keep all the sports. I personally think that everyone at LeyVa has school pride, whether is wearing your sports uniform, participating in spirit days, or just having a pen that's purple! I came to LeyVa scared and unprepared, but now, I've graduated from this amazing school that has taken me far. I mean, all schools have bullies, and what i love about this school, is that they do something about it. The principals try their best to prevent it from happening. I love LeyVa, it was like my second home! "The Future Begins Here!"

Posted March 28, 2012

I am a parent at LeyVa and I am so impressed with the teachers and administration. They do an amazing job, going out of their way helping students on their lunch hour, after school. The poor comments written are obviously a disgruntled few and not the majority. Ask any student here at LeyVa who are a part of such a spirited school and they will tell you they love being here! Good students will always do well in a great environment and that they do!

Posted March 3, 2012

Wow! I've been a teacher at LeyVa Middle School since 1998. I just can't understand the negative remarks made recently. In my opinion, LeyVa has never been better. There is so much focus on making students succeed here at LeyVa! We have challenging standards based classes. We have after school extended day classes for Language Arts and Math. Many teachers give up their lunch time to work with students. There are after school sports that really focus on being a team member. We have a great leadership class that encourages LeyVa pride and spirit. And the gang issue is at an all time low. We previously had years where gang related students flew their colors and attitude in my face. That is not tolerated here anymore and if it does pop up, the administrators deal with it immediately. Before school, break, lunch, and after school there are teachers, admin., and adults out on the yard through out the entire school on yard duty, so I challenge the remark of LeyVa not being supervised or unsafe....this is simply not true. Anyways, LOVE working here and so do my colleges, otherwise, so many of us would not be hanging around for so many years!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 10, 2012

Well, if I were a parent, I would change your son/daughter's school to Quimby or August Boeger. Here, they were very rude, hung out in stereotype "cliques" insted of being altogether as the administration wants. My friend and I had some trouble dealing with the fact we had to go to LeyVa. You think we're the only people? There's twenty more, just ask. That's pathetic, no child should be afraid to go to school! But, it's true. They intimidate, bully, and show alot of school spirit. Yep, they're bulldogs alright.

Posted January 10, 2012

Haha, where do I begin? If you're thinking of sending your child here, well, see what not just I witnessed. More than ten other students admit they hated this school. Why? -Bullying -Lack of parental/teacher/student communication -Disorderly conduct on the rise. -Academic levels and extra cirriculum are poor. This is actually said from two of my friends' fathers. If you can avoid it, try to stay away.

Posted December 7, 2011

Well where do i begin... Lets start with the gang problems. Seems that they tell these kids no more than 4 in a group yet groups are walking around in the size of 20 students just to intimidate others. Where is the staff? Why are they not stopping this? Are they afraid of the punks in the school or what. Most teachers are very helpful and nice to everyone. My problem is w/the administration. Setting rules and then not following through. Kids spitting at each other because there from different gangs! HELLO... kids are to be safe at school not disrespected by there classmates. Are parents being kept upto date on what is happening to there kids here at Leyva? OR are the parents just as bad? They should be teaching kids how to interact w/each other, same gang or not. Thatsl ife we need to teach them to have respect and empathy for each, dang whos running this place any way? Seems to me the kids are. I must say I am very disapointed in the expectations given to kids and no consiquences is a bad way to run a school full of problems. I graduated from Leyva many years ago, and i find it so sad that my kids were not able to have the same great safe school experience I did

Posted May 30, 2011

I am a very involved older sister of a former student that attended this school. It was a bad experience for him and for me as well, as I interacted with the administration. They would suspend him and other students for the max amount of time for very small offenses, causing them to miss classes and homework in order to get those students "out of their hair". I could not believe how little support and patience they had with the students. I also grew up in the area, and it is not the best school by any means. If you can avoid it, consider sending your child to a different school.

Posted May 29, 2011

Leyva is probably the BEST school to go to. I am an 8th grader about to graduate and have to say my 8th grade year has been the best days i've ever spent. The friends i've met, the amount of spirit this school contains just warms my heart. Even though we have one of the meanest vice principals ever, she is only doing her job to take care of us. However, this school has had a bad reputation because of how some of the students act, but ask yourself what school doesn't have trouble-makers. Some of the trouble-makers have the best attitudes, i have gotten to know them and they're not as bad as you think. (: Another thing i would love to include is the motivation. Everyday, on announcements, we are reminded that each and one of us is special and to always try hard. Some of the teachers you may not like but don't be in gloom, we leyvans will get you through these two years. We will welcome you with open arms and help you out with your struggles. LEYVA YOU KNOW!!

Posted January 10, 2011

This school is the best. end of descussion it is the best school in the whole world. my child's academics went higher and higher. and this school and very protective and safe, unlike chaboya and quimby

Posted June 16, 2010

I just graduated from LeyVa this year. My overall overview is that LeyVa is different from other jr highs because it is more spirited. We always have activies & represent our colors. We are reminded almost everyday in announcements that we are LeyVa bulldogs & that we are the best :] The kids are cool, although, there are a few bad ones here & there. we have a very mean vice prinipal to deal w/ bad kids. the teachers are wonderful, and different. Yes, LeyVa is not the biggest school, but its smallness makes it easiar to know the kids around, because it is so small. during lunch ppl only hang out on one half of the school mostly. It's a really cool chill place, the PE is not hard. yes, if you wana stay away from trouble go somewhere else. LeyVa is alright i guess

Posted May 13, 2010

i am a new 8thgrade student at LeyVa Middle School. I just transferred from QuimbyOakMiddle School & to be honest LeyVa Is wayy better. Everyone was so nice & polite , and igot honors at this school.. And inever got Honor's at Quimby. This school is awersomeee ! Go Bulldogsss;]

Posted April 12, 2010

I attended this school last year and it was awesome! I wish that I can stay here another year. This school is very spirited for its many activities and assemblies. The teachers and students have great potential focusing on education. Overall, you'll get used to George V. Leyva Middle School. Go Bulldogs!=D

Posted March 24, 2010

This school rocks. I am currently a 7th grader here and I love it here. The honors classes I'm in are challenging and my science teacher is awesome. The principal is amazing and the vice principals are kind but strict if you don't listen. I heard horrible rumors about the school and I was scared to go but when I did I fell in love with the school. I am invovled with spirit at LeyVa and I have so much spirit because the school rocks. Especially Band class

Posted March 12, 2010

I'm a student of LeyVa. It's a very good school. The honors classes are very challenging, in a good way. But, sadly, some teachers are completely inadequate to teach. Most of the teachers are very good, but some are a nightmare. Overall, LeyVa is an excellent school with its ups and downs

Posted March 7, 2010

i am currently a 7th grader at LVMS . this is really a great school & i can't wait to graduate ! go c/o 2011 !

Posted December 9, 2009

This is a pretty good school. The honors' teachers were very good, but the normal classes had very disorganized teachers who didn't know too much about their subjects except that which they just read from the book. Overall, this is a good school with a few great teachers

Posted June 16, 2009

im a mother and i have to say this school is a great school..i volenteer for everything they have.pep rallys and everything is awesome i just love it.GO BULLDOGS

Posted March 9, 2009

Leyva middle school is a very good school. The education is very good and they also have very good teachers that are willing to teach these wonderful students.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

431 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students89%
Students with no reported disability89%
English learnern/a
Fluent-English proficient and English only89%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)79%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)63%
Parent education - college graduate76%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate64%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students15%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1865 Monrovia Drive