Tom Matsumoto Elementary School 1

Posted September 04, 2014
principle sherman is rude and should have been a policeman instead of a principle, everyone at this school is asian or indian and its really disappointing in the lack of diversity the pick up and drop off situation is a disaster, don't come here unless you live walking distance because you will be waiting in a mile long line , this is an elitist school so the api scores are that because the parents are either tutor providing and/or one parent is home full time household my kids teacher was very nice very concerned although i don't believe she was a parent i did not like that i believe that only a parent can empathize with other parents concerning a child's learning, principal sherman will videotape you upon dropping or picking up your child there is no parking to park you car and take you child to school, you will have to arrive 30 minutes early in order to bring you child to school with out waiting in a 180 car pile up the street crossgaurds are inept and do not know what they are doing and they take matters into their own hands such as knock on your window to let you know what you are doing wrong or jump in front of your car to not let you pass by and they will harass. aviod this

Tom Matsumoto Elementary School 3

Posted September 09, 2013
The teaching here is pretty nice, though some of the teachers do just throw homework at the kids. But the most pathetic thing is the office staff! They are so RUDE! Once I went to the office after school waiting for my parent. I started doing my homework and the secretary just started yelling at me. I just said " I can do my homework!"(I had talked to my mom on the phone and she said she would be there to pick me up. So she called up my teacher and my teacher told her and she just scowled at me and sat down! Very rude people!

Tom Matsumoto Elementary School 3

Posted May 27, 2013
The teachers makes 20% effort and the remaining 80% is students plus their parents. Don't be fooled by the high api scores.Some teachers don't do anything other than gossip and shop online while sitting in the class. The district is negotiating the contract so the teachers are bitter, working to the contract, come around 7:45 and leave at 2:30 Pm.Some teachers can be actually seen talking on their cell phone , standing in the shade while they are on yard duty !! There are some teachers who are sincere towards their work but its like a drop in a bucket! Their API is higher because parents are made to teach and supplement through tons of homework !

Posted May 16, 2013
Excellent school. The teachers care so much about the kids and go the extra mile to ensure that each child is accommodated. Top notch education always looking for way to keep the parents involved in our kid's success. They communicate very well. We receive updates each week via a individualized breakdown on each assignment and test/quiz grade. They are on top of their grading and never let anything fall behind. Weekly newsletter points out important dates and items specific to child's class. This school from k-6 are really involved with each student and their success. Even with a school of this size all of the teachers and staff know every student and have a singular focus towards offering a 1st class experience for all. Many parents are involved in the school through PTA and other organizations that help to shape the future of the school to meet everyone's needs. Very welcoming for new families and encourage involvement from the beginning to make this the best elementary school in the South Bay!

Tom Matsumoto Elementary School 2

Posted May 08, 2013
Teaching is so horrible! Too many drama as what my child said to me! Also, some lunch lady cannot give my son lunch because of "low balance of money"! How are they going to eat? They're going to starve!

Tom Matsumoto Elementary School 2

Posted April 17, 2012
The teaching here is ridiculous! You better have a stay at home mom or dad. The teachers just throws the homework at students even if he/she doesnt' understand. Not all kids learn at the same rate. Some might understand quickly and some might have a difficult time. Shouldn't every child understand the material that is being taught in school? Not get sent home with materials and have you as a parent teaches them. What if your family have both working parents? Not every household has a stay at home mom/dad. On top of that providing a roof and food for your family, you have to come home and teach your kids. Another concerns is the amount of homework given to students. Enough is enough! Do not overload the students just because some parents feel the work isn't enough for their child. You do not boost the amount of homework just because some parents thinks that their child have too much free time at home. Like I said, every student learns at their own rate. This schools only pushes students to pass the STAR test for a higher ratings. That means ALOT OF STRESS for the STUDENTS AND PARENTS! If your child doesn't do well, its the parents fault! They do not care!

Posted February 13, 2012
When we were shopping for a house in 1997, we looked at Cupertino and Fremont and Evergreen. We chose Evergreen because we thought the area has a good mix of all races and the schools were just perfect: not too competitive but not too easy. However, Evergreen schools these days no longer have a good mix of student population. More Asian, especially Indian and Chinese have moved in. These two groups make up about 70% of the student population at Matsumoto. The school is focusing on academic performance, just like other schools in Cupertino or Fremont. Matsumoto school's API is getting higher and higher every year. The students have a heavy load of homework. Teachers routinely give homework on the weekend. I kids should be able to have fun on the weekend. Weekend should be reserved for church, for music, for sport, for birthday parties,... NOT for doing homework. I hope Matsumoto teachers and the principal realize that the kids and the parents do not want homework on the weekend.

Posted October 05, 2011
Aside from having a high API score, parents at Matsumoto are very happy with the leadership of the current principal, Mr. Sherman. Students having excellent academic performance is wonderful but what really matters is the genuine concern and care Mr. Sherman gives to all the students. My child is now in middle school but I still have nephews and nieces who attend Matsumoto. My nephew has challenges, school does not come easy for him, but with Mr. Sherman and his team's support, my nephew is doing very well! Mr. Sherman genuinely only wants what is best for all the students. As a parent, he has always shown warmth and goes an extra mile for whoever needs help. Thank you Mr. Sherman! Keep up the great work! Our community is so lucky to have you!

Posted June 10, 2009

Posted March 30, 2009

Tom Matsumoto Elementary School
4121 Mackin Woods Lane, San Jose, CA  95135
Last modified Tom Matsumoto Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tom Matsumoto Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews.