August Boeger Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted September 13, 2014

August Boeger Middle School has new leadership, Principal Mia Cruz and Student Advisor Andrew Donati are new administrators at AB. The staff at ABMS are working with national known consultant Edwin Javius to improve equity for students and their educational focus. AB offers AVID, Leadership, Art, Band, Honors Classes, Sports, and Clubs. AB works with the Silcon Valley Education Foundation supports AB as they implement Common Core Math, accelerated Math and Elevate. The school has a computer lab, think client carts, chromebook cart, laptop cart and i-pad carts. Please give a call and come to visit AB!

Posted March 12, 2014

I was nervous about coming here in 6th grade because i had heard many bad things about boeger but im now in 8th grade and i have made so many great friends. The teachers are awesome and they help us when we need it. Most of the time they stay in the classrooms during brunch so that if we need help, we can go ask them for it. Its true that there are a handful of students that refuse to pay attention and cause trouble but every school has that. I honestly think its a good school but thats just my opinion. Parents please don't judge the school unless you actually know what happens on campus. The events held there are all formed by the leadership class that is in fact run by students and they always meet their deadlines without flaws. The school isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We have yard duties always around the campus checking on the students and keeping us out of trouble. Sincerely, a current august boeger 8th grade student

Posted June 9, 2013

You may hear many bad rumors and such about this school, such as high gang activity, sex, drugs, bullying. Hardly any of this is true. Almost everyone at this school is very nice. I was very nervous on my first day of 6th grade, and now I'm in 8th grade and I absolutely do not want to leave. Of course there will be the students that get involved with the wrong type of thing. but what kind of public school doesn't have that? That is a choice made on the students' part, no teachers are encouraging any students to do this. Overall, I like Boeger more than I expected to. All the teachers I've had are great, and they have helped prepare me for high school. Sincerely, a student.

Posted April 12, 2013

The principal is not connected. Each time I have seen her she seems disappointed she has to be there. The VP is awesome!!! Students are not disciplined and it is the norm to hear students cussing and yelling out inappropriate comments across campus. The teachers are awesome. I am not sure why the stay. No consequences for inappropriate behavior.

Posted July 4, 2012

Many of the things the people may say seems true, but it is not. Would you like to know why? Well my experience at August Boeger was not as terrible as most people would think. Students were really nice if you got to know them, staff was hard at work outside the classroom and of course inside as well. The leadership class there works hard because they make the dances, do anti-bully weeks, do the lunch time activities, and put on a carnival at the end of the year! That class is run by the students and they get things done on time and without a flaw. The teachers make sure the students are disciplined and ready to learn. The school always has yard duties to patrol the school to make sure the students are following directions, and if not they either get detention or get sent to the office. Some of the academic programs we have are rocket club, science bowl, and some others, in which the school takes pride in for doing so well in it. We have many after school sports programs like cross country, volleyball, basketball, track and field etc. August Boeger always get really far in these sports, this year cross country got second, boys basketball made it to the playoffs.This isagreatschool.

Posted March 9, 2012

This school, sadly, needs an entire administrative overhaul. It appears that the staff has their head in the sand to the realities of the school- gangs, drugs, sex, violence, etc. For a school on the East Side of San Jose, the discipline is sad and negligible to say the least. Many of the students are apathetic to learning and just do as they feel on campus knowing the lack of consequences and follow through. Teachers are burnt out trying to manage problem behaviors with minimal support, thus the instruction is suffering. If you have a student who truly wants to learn, you should consider an alternative placement. I fear for my son's well-being at school and lack of knowledge and competence of staff to handle it. The state should really take a good hard look at this school.

Posted January 10, 2012

Maybe you should hear this from an actual student, not just a parent, since we're the people that spend all day on the campus. I picked three stars, because they focus on stopping bullying, which I think is good for alot of kids, unlike LeyVa, with a bunch of people snapping at you., but at the same time, I think teachers should take out their time and help other kids after school and give the kids who misbehave more than just warnings. But, overall, I love it. :)

Posted April 17, 2011

This school is definitely below average and needs to be re-organized. There are too many students (almost 1,000 total in 6th, 7th and 8th grade). The school should be broken up into two schools....one with the students that want to learn and one with the students that don't care who need to be motivated. It is not fair that the students that want to learn have to suffer and be bullied by the ones who don't care to be in school. This school is barely tolerable, but has some very good and caring teachers who can only do so much under the circumstances.

Posted October 14, 2010

August Boeger Middle School, is a better school than my son's last middle school. The teachers actually care for the students and stay after school and in on recess to help the children out. Their education system is right target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 14, 2010

Reading the March 24th 2010 posting that refers to some of the teachers at August Boeger as not qualified "Dog Catchers" makes me feel nothing but disgust for the venom that is being spewed by that parent. A parent that says any positive reviews regarding this school must be "bogus" yet asks us to believe their obviously biased point of view. - Does the school need to improve? Yes of course, as all schools do. Does this school deserve this mean spirited review? No, I see so much effort being put forth by many parents and staff with hope in their hearts not hate.

Posted September 14, 2010

I'm a student at August Boeger . I was looking at this site because my mom was looking up the API scores for my school. I'm in the 7th grade this year so last year was my 1st year at August Boeger. I read the reviews and they made me mad. I really like my school. I love the Principal and Vice - Principal. I feel like I can talk to them. I'm also so happy our councilor is back at school. Lastly, I live on one of the roads that surrounds the school but unlike the "teacher" I know how to spell. The "teacher" wrote "surrend road" . What's up with that?

Posted June 9, 2010

August Boeger should not be categorized as a Junior High but more like a prep school for Juvenile Hall. They treat their students like prisoners. I tried to get a transfer for my child and the school refused to let him go. My child is not at all accustomed to the way these students behave and what actually takes place on campus. Because the transfer was refused, we are selling our home and relocating back to the Evergreen district. You should not have to fear sending your child to school every day as I have experienced this past school year. I recommend "YOUNOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD".

Posted May 5, 2010

My child is struggling in math. When I asked the principal for intervention (help) for my child, I was told no. I was told that only the top performing kids are getting extra help because this will have a direct impact on STAR test scores.

Posted April 25, 2010

Sadly, there is no vision for this school. There is also no leadership. Communication does not exist. Parents are excluded rather than included. English language learners are frequently used as the scape goat for the poor performance on STAR testing. I do not see things improving at this school given the surrend road the school is on. Without a vision my people perish applies here as well. It is my desire to see that a vision is developed for the school and new leadership arises.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 30, 2010

I am a parent. My son has been attending this school for two years. I will not let him attend 8th grade here. I have not received quality participation from his teachers. I have asked for specific follow-up in order to keep my son on track. The teachers do not follow through, they do nothing to help him improve, only provide the information that he is not doing well. I asked to be contacted by email or phone or text or smoke signals..anything if he is not turning in his work, but get nothing. No communication what so ever. I left the principal a message a week ago and still have not received a response.

Posted March 24, 2010

There is a lack of leadership at this school. Communication leaves a lot to be desired. Test scores continue to deteriorate and now the principal thinks test scores can be improved by having a 'Mega Rally.' What ever happened to common sense teaching to standards?

Posted March 24, 2010

Obviously these reviews are bogus. They are incorrect and reflect an extremely fictious view of the school. I am one of the parents at this school and I can say that there is NO leadership and some of the teachers would not qualify as dog catchers. The lack of communication is absolutely pathetic and parental involvement is not appreciated nor wanted. This school probably has one of the worst leadership in this valley, but it is funny how the other reviews just seem so positive...I wonder if the principal and/or the teachers are the ones putting in these reviews....The only electives these kids have is band, leadership and art, NOT photograpy, ceramics, or chorus. And next year we will not have any electives at this point. Meanwhile they are spending money to get a parcel tax to get more money which they dont deserve.

Posted March 22, 2010

i think agust boeger is a great school this is my first year at these school and the core classes are realy great teacherss are doing a realy great job to get all the students reading levels up
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 13, 2006

Administration works with the diverse group of lower income children well. They have managed to improve overall test scores and send teachers to work better with the mandatory standards and No Child Left Behind bill. There is a well run after-school program where children can be safe, do homework and have fun. Teachers have found ways to instruct children of all abilities to meet the rigid, standards that have not taken enough factors into consideration. I think this school is doing the best they can with what they have and I feel with a little involvement in their child's education all parents can have successful futures for their children. Principal is always trying to find ways to improve the school, and is looking to add Music and Art programs.

Posted February 9, 2006

School is not very good. Low level of parent involvement, poor academics, and limited athletics programs. Too many ESL students distract from normal classroom learning.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

213 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students40%

Parent education - high school graduate33%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)60%
Parent education - college graduate72%
Parent education - declined to state13%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%
Femalesn/a
Males0%
Hispanic or Latino0%
Economically disadvantaged0%
Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disability0%
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
English learner0%
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Band
  • Instrumental music lessons

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Instrumental music lessons

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now