San Jose, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted August 12, 2014
Im a student at taylor school (6th grade) over all the school is great and they have nice teachers. Its jsut that the food there is a bit unappetizing and they can work to make the bathrooms less smelly.

Taylor (Bertha) Elementary School 1

Posted June 22, 2014
The principal appears to only be here to build her resume so that she can move on to to bigger and better things, and godspeed to her. The followthrough and communication coming out of this place is laughable. Problems that start at the district level are magnified here by the school's poor management and the teachers' apathy.

Taylor (Bertha) Elementary School 2

Posted April 09, 2014
All though the principal is great, I am very dissapointed with teachers. Noone cares to teach children right from wrong. One kid steals lunch from another, and when other children complain to teacher, the answer they get is "I didn't see it, so I won't do anything about it"...REALLY? Teacher doesn't check kid's homework and let's them grade their own work, or gives a few kids in the classroom candy to check other kid's work. How is that possbile? After submitting a semester of daily summaries, where you can clearly see child's impovement in penmanship and content, teacher returns work back with a sticky note, on which it says C- and states that there are dates of mising work. Not one summary is marked. This is the WORST teacher I have dealt with, and I wasn't happy with previous year's teachers. Principal should really find decent teachers. Bullying is rampant, and bullies get away with it all the time. Looking to transfer my child in to another school.

Posted August 23, 2013
I love teaching at Taylor School. It has a wonderful sense of community and strong parent involvement. I love keeping backpacks outside the classrooms. It helps keep classrooms tidy and safe for students to work and move around. My students' lunches are only stored outside when the weather is mild or cool, otherwise we bring them inside. I love Taylor so much my child attends here also! I am confident he will learn to be a strong, kind, intelligent young man who will love to learn because of his experience at Taylor.

Posted August 22, 2013
My son likes Taylor school very much. I like the teaching method and curriculum which is apt for the kids. Academic wise, i'm satisfied. There are couple of things I want to make a note of. Just because Taylor school building is old, it has the dungeon smell once you get into the building. My son got allergies which he didn't have it before. These kids are spending six hours a day in this same environment which can develop their allergies which can lead to asthma. The next one is, the kids are placing their backpacks along with their lunch boxes outside the building. The lunch has been kept outside for 3.5 hours under the sun. This can spoil their food. Poor kids, they have to eat this lunch anyways without even realizing it. I hope, the management should take some action to prevent the kids from getting sick/diseases.

Posted July 22, 2013
Taylor school is a wonderful place for children to learn and grow. The staff and students continually collaborate with the intention of doing what's best for the students. Filled with gratitude for this community.

Posted July 10, 2013
School is undergoing a change in PTA board with continued focus on community and parent involvement. All teachers I have interacted with have been kind and open to discussing my questions. My child can't wait till school is back in session.

Posted May 31, 2013
This is a great school and would like to stay in this district, because it is one of the better neighborhoods in San Jose. My oldest was here last year and currently my youngest go to this wonderful school. So far the teachers I've met are very nice and also I can tell they are good at what they do. My sister has had a bad experience with the school secretary,but I think the secretary is a bit grumpy at times I admit. That's the least of my worries because everything else is good so far. I really do hope we stay in this area for a while. Also, the principal is wonderful!

Posted September 19, 2012
Such a great school, tons of parent involvement. My kindergarten loves it. So glad we have Taylor as our home school.

Posted June 29, 2012
My son was in Kindergarten this past year. When comparing to other elementary schools in this district, this school deserves 4 stars but overall I would give it a 3. The API score is great but there is a lack of parental involvement in the kindergarten and little communication between the parents and teachers. All of the parents who are involved are in the upper grades and they are really just the same parents who do everything. I was hoping for more of a community that we could be a part of but that probably won't happen here. All of the midweek school events were poorly attended which left me disappointed. As for the curriculum, it was okay but my son became bored very quickly.

Taylor (Bertha) Elementary School
410 Sautner Dr., San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Taylor (Bertha) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Taylor (Bertha) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top