Orchard Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 836 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 7, 2014

Part I: In all fairness to this school.I think most of the 1 star reviews 3 yrs ago are from the same upset individual who written all of the internet. We started at this school with a mind set of all the bad reviews you have been reading all over the internet. We tried everything to not attend this school by transferring to Milpitas for 1 yr and then came back because Milpitas was full. I was very negative at first about this school until I gotten to know the teachers and gotten more involve with classroom and the school. I think this school has lost of potentials and all administrators have all intensions to change/ improve this school.The core problem falls in the lack of parent involvements. It is often full house during any school events while it is always the same very few parents that shows to any task oriented mtgs or committees including the PTA. So 1 parent volunteer would end up doing what normally would be assigned to 5 people.You also have school teachers and staffs often doing tasks that would normally be fulfilled by the PTA and/or parent volunteers. I also work full time and is a one person with 2 children at night .So I make and/ steel time to help so can you.

Posted March 6, 2014

School lacks the educational commitment from teachers that really want to teach. Our teacher just stamps an excellent on homework, child doesn't know if they undertand the concept. it would be great to focus on what they are learning rather than their effort.

Posted January 29, 2014

This school is very well kept. So far happy with the interaction between the kids and parents seem involved. Hope to see the quality of education continue to rise and test scores improve at this school. Hopefully it will be reflected in the new API scores.

Posted May 28, 2013

OMG, The principal and D.O. office are NEVER available. What happened to Principal Livingstone? He was awesome. Time will tell what happens from here with the new Principal.

Posted February 6, 2012

Having problems paying for my children lunches. Dropped my children off at 8:00. Cafeteria was closed, went to the District Office and it was closed. The School Office was the only one open to help me. Not a good feeling school starts at 8:15 you would think both of theese should be open to help parents.

Posted May 11, 2011

I would rate this school as one of the worse schools I've ever encountered, it is required that my daughter attend this school because of the way they zoned the school district. The principal has changed twice with the current principal being extremely incompetent, uninvolved, and unaware of what is going on at the school the majority of the time. The children have no manners, bad language and seem to have no structure or morals that are taught in their home. The teachers however I can honestly say are superb. I will be sending my child to private school next year.

Posted April 26, 2011

My kid and we love this school. Now looking at the significant progress and increasing API targets, I am proud to say that my son is going to one of the upgoing and competitive schools in Bay area. Great School, Teachers, Staff and Management. They are introducing innovative ways and constantly seeking out & implementing new approaches to boost their API scores every year. Sure to hit 900 API soon! Go Orchard Go!!!!!!

Posted April 5, 2011

My kid goes to this school and the school's staff has been really innovative in introducing new ways to improve their test scores every year. We see dramatic improvement year by year. All Teachers are very nice and they listen to the parents and kids issues and get them addressed appropriately. Just now I read below in one of the reviews, I too believe that school's API growth rate is going to hit 900 within 2 yrs. Also from my below review this is my suggestion, If we see any issues with any of the other kid's bad behavior and which you might think might impact your kid, do not hesitate to communicate the same with the staff, they are friendly and they will get it addressed ASAP. It might be the kid's issue and not the school, teachers or admin staff and all the staff are very friendly to get any minor issue addressed quickly.

Posted March 28, 2011

This school is not a very good school lots of kids with no manners.Students justsay bad words and affect the little 1st and 2nd graders.I've heard a 1st grader saying inappropriate words which the 8th graders say. Not a very good school but there are very nice teachers.

Posted March 22, 2011

This school is growing great. I am proud to see the amazing growth in Test Scores & Stats growing every year. I am living in this school district from 5 yrs and every year its growth rate is amazing. I am sure this school's API growth rate is going to hit 900 within 2 yrs. Good luck to the school and the management. With all the management's and teacher's hardwork, hitting this above mentioned API rate should be easy to happen.

Posted January 19, 2011

I so do not agree with anything that was said below. The staff there has always been helpful and great to work with. Not sure what this person is talking about Oakland moving into the area. I find this very offensive, my children atened Orchard School from Kinder to 8th grade, with no problems. Orchard school is not a racial school it is very diverse. As a parent you can not leave it all up to the school, you need to know what is going on with your child at every moment. Be involed with them in their schol work and know what they are doing after school. My children never feared going to school, they never wanted to miss school. They kepted in touch with some staff members who made a lasting impression on them. I think the peson who wrote this has some other issues going on and should look into the mirror and fix those problems first before attacking Orchard School. As a parent take some responsibility for your child's education. Orchard is a great school and this is a great community. Please I encourage you if you live in Orchard District bring your children here you will not regret your decision.

Posted September 13, 2010

My daughter attended Kindergarten at Orchard and just started 1st grade this year. Her Kindergarten teacher was WONDERFUL! Very patient and caring. The kids learned sight words and had weekly spelling tests during the second half of the school year. I was very pleased with my daughter's progress. She loves going to school! Her first grade teacher seems nice. We will hear more about her teaching plans this week during their open house.

Posted August 29, 2010

Orchard School is not a school that I wanted my children to attend. Since it is the only school in our district and they will not let you transfer we are stuck for a bit. The office staff are not friendly, to busy in a person's business, and are not educated as to what is going on. The school itself does not have a school nurse and calls you to determine if your child is sick. The teachers that I have encountered barely speak english and the school is floating under the radar. The Board of Education should shut this school down!

Posted May 21, 2010

This school is the worst school I've ever been to.My daughter tried to buy her cap and gown from the office. She asked them whether or not she could buy the tassel separately and they said "yes" it would be $5.And when my daughter came back with the money they said that they wouldn't let her buy the tassel separately. My daughter tried to explain that the staff told her it was ok but they denies ever saying anything about it. I am utterly outraged! The office staff should all be fired.

Posted January 6, 2010

Orchard School has gone in a new direction with the new leadership of the Principle Mr. Livingstone. He seems like a very nice man and working on bringing up the schools test scores. His office staff is very freindly and helpfull. The teachers have very positive attitudes towards the students and parents. Orchard School is looking very good. Love the solar pannels that should really help out with the school budget. God Bless the new school board.

Posted June 10, 2009

I am very dissapointed at how much disorder there is with the office staff. I have called on several to find out about the functions going on at the school just to find out they 'dont know when it's going to be' on several occassions. Mr Yee seems like a nice man but when push comes to shove and you really need him to participate his mind seems to be elsewhere even though he's sitting right in front of me as a parent. Three times in a row. Worst of all the rule about parents reporting to the office before entering the school makes a wonderful sign on many windows. I have yet to see this be enforced. At any given moment there are plenty of adults & I assume other parents walking around my childrens school! This strips away any security I feel about the safety of kids at school.

Posted July 25, 2008

I think the school has the potential to be great! The Principal & staff don't seem to be consistant with the consiquiences & this definitly has an effect on the students. I believe the staff are underpaid & do not have the proper supplies to teach to the best of their ability. Though I must agree with 1 of the parents, Mr. Yee, the principal does meet & greet every morning, though he is not esily accesible. He always seems, 'too busy.'. However a wonderful man, as well as Mr.Peoples, a great man! My hats off to him for wearing so many hats. He not only has an a big open heart, he has open eyes to watch our childrens every move, an open mind to deal with conflicts & remeber every students name & open arms to comfort them until we the parent can get there. He makes Orchard!

Posted June 11, 2007

We have been at Orchard for 4 years now hoping that the promise of 'getting better' happens. I am very disappointed. I am moving my children across town for next fall. There are no set rules that the staff goes by. I do like the pricipal and Mr. Peoples, they really care about the kids.

Posted May 29, 2007

Orchard school has been real good to my two Children, They seem to love their school a great deal, we wish there could be more extracurricular activity oppertunity sent home to know what is actully offered. The level of parent involvement will improve a great deal if there was more time in advance given to those parents who work. I would love to involve myself as well if I was given the oppertunity as a working Mother. And My heart goes out to Mr. Peebles, He is one great Teacher and is an inspiration to me and my Children. He truely cares about the students.

Posted April 10, 2006

The nice thing about this school is that the principle greets the children and parents every morning at the school entrance. This shows that the principle cares about the school and the children. The teacher quality is ok. The school is on the track of getting better.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students55%

Parent education - not a high school graduate47%
Parent education - high school graduate88%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)74%
Parent education - declined to state68%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

• Todd Livingstone
Fax number
  • (408) 944-0394

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now