San Jose, CA

Posted May 17, 2015
My son attended Allen at Steinbeck for transitional kindergarten for the school year 2014-2015. I could not describe how unsatisfactory I found the school for him without pointing you to a short story by Ursula Le Guin titled The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. The staff is convinced that how they approach students with disruptive behaviors is appropriate and necessary. When my wife called me crying that our 5 year old boy was lost and that I needed to come help search for him along with the police I knew I had made a mistake agreeing to the school's proposal to keep him safe and address his behaviors. Listening to mall security (two blocks from the school) tell me that if I had not been there to get my son they would have called Child Protective Services because they could not release the boy to the school's assistant principal provided a moment of clarity. Absent the school staff's impassioned arguments that what they were doing was right I could see I had a responsibility to my son that trumped their concerns for budget, precedence, or their professional experience. We chose to leave the school district at the end of the school year and see what else is out there.

Posted May 08, 2015
I am not sure how this school can get 4 stars. Check the API of 760 and the GreatSchool Rating of 4. The school no longer uses API in fear that it is even lower. The first, if you are in 4th grade, you should know your multiplication already. The majority of the kids (including higher grades) here does not. It is also parents' responsibility to teach your kids, not just the teachers. But the parents won't know what to do, if the kids don't come back home with the homework or results of the tests. They have no pride in their program and do not feel the responsibility for these many kids and their future. It is a shame. These teachers can move on to make living, while these kids won't have any chance to make it. Why would we do this to our kids? First, get the book back into the school system. Stop relying on the computer alone. It is disorganized. Keep it organized and clean. Remember 5S? Second, assign homework and enforce it with parents. Don't worry if the parents complain about the homework. Don't heed to the parents who want to slack off. It is their responsibility to teach their kids. Third, get the parents involved more.

Posted May 05, 2015
We have been at Allen at Steinbeck almost 4 years. We have two children attending and have had a wonderful experience! The teachers and staff are caring, kind, knowledgeable and friendly. They take a great deal of pride in what they do. We also have a very active PTA that helps bring together our families and teachers and creates a strong sense of community through the programs they provide. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted April 20, 2015
I am a staff member at Allen at Steinbeck School. I have worked and volunteered in a variety of school in the area and I find Allen at Steinbeck to be one of the top. The staff members are knowledgeable, dedicated, hardworking and caring individuals. Not only is the quality of academic instruction high, but there are a variety of enrichment programs offered to the students. There is a lot of parent involvement at the school with a very active PTA, which sponsors and organizes many family/community events. I am happy to be working at a school where parents and staff have a common goal, and work together to offer the students quality academic instruction as well as enrichment opportunities.

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted April 13, 2015
My son is a 4th grader at Allen. We have been very happy with his teachers and education. He has not only grown academically but socially as well. He likes the friends he has made and I like the community of parents, teachers and staff.

Posted April 13, 2015
We have been at Allen at Steinbeck for going on 5 years now and think it is a wonderful school. The teachers, principal, and staff work tirelessly and really care about the success of all their students in academics and happiness in life. I think there is a high core of parent involvement, leadership is strong, teacher quality is high, curriculum is challenging, the arts are appreciated, and diversity is embraced. Any situation with misconduct among students is taken care of in a caring, yet professional manner. Discipline is not ignored, but they tend to take a positive approach with it (caring for the child first and finding the reason behind the misconduct). My children are very happy at Allen at Steinbeck.

Posted February 08, 2015
This is a horrible school. You had better think about twice to send your kids. If it is possible, avoid this school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 23, 2014
I had the fortunate experience to be a part of this school. We were adopting a little girl who had some severe social issues and if it were not for the Teachers and the Staff we could not have made it through the transition. They have the most incredible people working here! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US You are a true blessing! I wish there were more stars to give.

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
I was saddended to read one parent's assessment (9/12/12) of Allen. I attended this year's orientation/back to school night and may even be one of the individuals referred to. My wife and I have volunteered countless hours at the school and have a different view. Allen is filled with great kids, caring parents and quality teachers. We feel the student diversity is one of the schools greatest assets. I encourage these parents to volunteer and spend some time at the school. Hopefully they will see firsthand the well rounded quality education their student is receiving and all the opportunities Allen does offer.

Posted September 13, 2012
I have children currently enrolled in this school and they love it! My children have enjoyed every teacher they have had and the staff knows everyone by name. It is disturbing that another parent at this school is judging other parents and children because of their socio-economic class or appearance. They should take the time and introduce themselves to our "volunteer" run ABC Reading Program that teaches children the 41 assets they need to succeed. The PTA does a fantastic job getting out a Weekly Bulletin via the school's Yahoo Group. There are many before, during and after school activities that are available for all age levels. Volunteer opportunities are around every corner for programs like ABC Reading, Los Dichos, Science Vista and Art Vista to name a few. Back to School Night was fantastic! My husband and I enjoyed going to our kids classes in a relaxed and fun environment. We wouldn't change a thing. You should never judge a book by its cover!!

Allen at Steinbeck School
820 Steinbeck Drive, San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Allen at Steinbeck School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Allen at Steinbeck School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 84 reviews. Top