San Jose, CA

Posted July 23, 2014
I had the fortunate experience to be a part of this school. We were adopting a little girl who had some severe social issues and if it were not for the Teachers and the Staff we could not have made it through the transition. They have the most incredible people working here! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US You are a true blessing! I wish there were more stars to give.

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
I was saddended to read one parent's assessment (9/12/12) of Allen. I attended this year's orientation/back to school night and may even be one of the individuals referred to. My wife and I have volunteered countless hours at the school and have a different view. Allen is filled with great kids, caring parents and quality teachers. We feel the student diversity is one of the schools greatest assets. I encourage these parents to volunteer and spend some time at the school. Hopefully they will see firsthand the well rounded quality education their student is receiving and all the opportunities Allen does offer.

Posted September 13, 2012
I have children currently enrolled in this school and they love it! My children have enjoyed every teacher they have had and the staff knows everyone by name. It is disturbing that another parent at this school is judging other parents and children because of their socio-economic class or appearance. They should take the time and introduce themselves to our "volunteer" run ABC Reading Program that teaches children the 41 assets they need to succeed. The PTA does a fantastic job getting out a Weekly Bulletin via the school's Yahoo Group. There are many before, during and after school activities that are available for all age levels. Volunteer opportunities are around every corner for programs like ABC Reading, Los Dichos, Science Vista and Art Vista to name a few. Back to School Night was fantastic! My husband and I enjoyed going to our kids classes in a relaxed and fun environment. We wouldn't change a thing. You should never judge a book by its cover!!

Posted September 13, 2012
We have been at this school for 5 years now. We're very satisfied with the staff and the opportunities afforded the students here. We have a child who successfully transitioned to high school thanks to this school. There are quite a few extracurricular activities available. Right now we have Band, Choir, Fit for Fun, Open Gym for basketball, Ballet Folklorico, Tennis, Mad Science, Young Rembrandts, and I think I saw a flyer for Chess. Later in the year we have Drama, Junior Achievement, Basketball, co-ed Baseball, Soccer, Football. I'm probably missing something. We are big fans of the Middle school here. Students are not another number here. They visit high schools and Universities to prepare for their educational future. They participate in leadership activities with other schools in the district. They are trained as peer leaders for recess activities with the elementary grades. There are middle school dances and a week long overnight trip (Yosemite in past years) in addition to field trips out on the SF Bay and after school hikes. We are very pleased with this school.

Posted February 09, 2012
i would just like to say that this school is amazing!! From the custodians to the principal and everyone in between it is full of top notch people. Aside from being a very aesthetic school it also has an amazing environment. It harbors a very family like atmosphere that makes you want to be involved as much as possible. The teachers that my son has had so far have been to good to describe. I wouldn't want my kids(next year they will both be here) to go anywhere else and lucky for my wife and I (and our kids) they won't have to until high school!

Posted August 16, 2011
I am thankful that Allen at Steinbeck is my Neighborhood K-8 School. Allen is a warm, friendly, inviting, exciting, learning institution where the kids are accepted for who they are and encouraged to be their best. Ms. Waller and her team strive for positive change and are open to learning about how they can better prepare themselves as educators to give our kids the best school experience possible.

Posted August 15, 2011
My children have attended Allen at Steinbeck since it began in Fall of 2005. I feel so privelaged to have been able to be a part of the growth of such a great place to the learn! My children have thrived in our neighborhood school with stellar teachers, supportive administration and a community that is not only diverse, but feels like home. We had a choice to attend other schools, but I'm glad we stuck with our home school. My children have befriended kids from all over the world and experienced a quality of education I could never have given them elsewhere. Though it has a large population, don't let it fool you - if you are there to support your child, he/she will recieve a personalized and top notch education!

Posted August 14, 2011
I have three children within the San Jose Unified School District. Two of my children have promoted from Allen at Steinbeck and have been given a pretty good education base to have them succeed while moving forward. All schools...no matter where you live or attend has it's pros and cons. What separates the experience one may have at ANY school are these questions one has to ask: 1) Are you involved with the school? 2) Are you involved with your child's homework? 3) Are you expectations realistic? of the school and of your child? ...if you are...then you are in the correct frame of mind of knowing that teachers/schools cannot teach YOUR child without your involvement. ...If you are not...then...what can you do to assist in those areas? I know that we don't live in a perfect world. But I know that my children will do alright because the teachers that they have had...cared about their education and want to see them succeed an an individual...my being their parent...just makes sure that I follow through what they are being taught at school and working with that at home. You can't complain if you honestly have done everything you could do help others succeed.

Posted August 13, 2011
Allen at Steinbeck was a positive, warm and enriching place when my child attended school there. He had all great teachers and excelled in all areas. He was more than ready for middle school when he moved to Castillero. I still sub there sometimes and really enjoy seeing the happy students and wonderful staff. The school continues to grow and so do the tests scores. I am so proud to say that my child went to Allen and Steinbeck!

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted August 12, 2011
We have been at A@S since it became A@S. My daughter had great experiences and has the best memories of her time there and had some awesome teachers!! My boys are entering 3rd grade and are thoroughly enjoying 'sharing' some teachers with their sister. We have seen some teachers change levels and really find their niche where they are thriving and so are the kids!!! We're proud to be part of such a great school and are excited about the upcoming school year.

Allen at Steinbeck School
820 Steinbeck Drive, San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Allen at Steinbeck School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Allen at Steinbeck School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top