San Jose, CA

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 05, 2015
For the teachers to be effective, they need to have funding to make copies or give kids textbook. So they can go home to review. This is sad, and more questions you guys ask me, this is making me angry.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 05, 2015
This question is not appropriate, when the homework is simply not given? They have no money to give kids the textbook or copies of homework.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
What determination, when the teachers don't care about the students or are in denial? The redemption can only happen, when the teachers realize that there is something wrong with this school.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
How can you instill a respect, when the teachers don't care and don't know how bad the school is? The teachers mostly are in denial.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 05, 2015
The teachers are in denial. The teachers don't care. And most of all, they have not commitment to the kids and their future. Who loses? The tax payer and the kids.

Posted June 05, 2015
I don't understand why people give 5 start rating. This school does not deserve it. My kids went to this school for a few months, and I had to take them out. First, more than a quarter of the students doesn't even know multiplication by 5th grade. A majority of the students doesn't even know that the first letter of the sentence needs to be capitalized. They don't even know the difference between "of" and "have" or "then" and "than". Try to correct their use of "its" to "it's" is impossible. Some kids come to school hungry. Unfortunately, the school does not offer free dinner, so they scavenge the left overs for their own dinner. I can't believe this is going on in Silicon Valley, where the average salary of high tech workers is approaching $200K a year. You see more kids with mental issues in this school. My kids attended a school with 10 out of 10 rating, so I shouldn't compare. I have an idea for an improvements. 1. Give kids textbooks to take home to review. The school district simply does not have money. Well, have more fund raiser and seek more donation. Do something. 2. Give kids homework, no matter how much their parents complain. 3. The teachers need to care for the kids and need to become more attentive to their shortcomings. 4. The teachers need to keep in touch with their parents. The teachers should have a conference with parents more often, at least once a quarter or every three months. 5. The teachers must not pass the students, if they are failing the minimum. 6. Separate the gifted students from idiots, because some students needs less help or more help than others. Fortunately, the school seems to have a pretty good program for mentally handicapped. But most kids are missing out. They are the ones who will be standing by Home Depot, when they get old. This school is in sad state.

Posted May 17, 2015
My son attended Allen at Steinbeck for transitional kindergarten for the school year 2014-2015. I could not describe how unsatisfactory I found the school for him without pointing you to a short story by Ursula Le Guin titled The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. The staff is convinced that how they approach students with disruptive behaviors is appropriate and necessary. When my wife called me crying that our 5 year old boy was lost and that I needed to come help search for him along with the police I knew I had made a mistake agreeing to the school's proposal to keep him safe and address his behaviors. Listening to mall security (two blocks from the school) tell me that if I had not been there to get my son they would have called Child Protective Services because they could not release the boy to the school's assistant principal provided a moment of clarity. Absent the school staff's impassioned arguments that what they were doing was right I could see I had a responsibility to my son that trumped their concerns for budget, precedence, or their professional experience. We chose to leave the school district at the end of the school year and see what else is out there.

Posted May 08, 2015
I am not sure how this school can get 4 stars. Check the API of 760 and the GreatSchool Rating of 4. The school no longer uses API in fear that it is even lower. The first, if you are in 4th grade, you should know your multiplication already. The majority of the kids (including higher grades) here does not. It is also parents' responsibility to teach your kids, not just the teachers. But the parents won't know what to do, if the kids don't come back home with the homework or results of the tests. They have no pride in their program and do not feel the responsibility for these many kids and their future. It is a shame. These teachers can move on to make living, while these kids won't have any chance to make it. Why would we do this to our kids? First, get the book back into the school system. Stop relying on the computer alone. It is disorganized. Keep it organized and clean. Remember 5S? Second, assign homework and enforce it with parents. Don't worry if the parents complain about the homework. Don't heed to the parents who want to slack off. It is their responsibility to teach their kids. Third, get the parents involved more.

Allen at Steinbeck School 5

Posted May 05, 2015
We have been at Allen at Steinbeck almost 4 years. We have two children attending and have had a wonderful experience! The teachers and staff are caring, kind, knowledgeable and friendly. They take a great deal of pride in what they do. We also have a very active PTA that helps bring together our families and teachers and creates a strong sense of community through the programs they provide. I would highly recommend this school.

Allen at Steinbeck School 5

Posted April 20, 2015
I am a staff member at Allen at Steinbeck School. I have worked and volunteered in a variety of school in the area and I find Allen at Steinbeck to be one of the top. The staff members are knowledgeable, dedicated, hardworking and caring individuals. Not only is the quality of academic instruction high, but there are a variety of enrichment programs offered to the students. There is a lot of parent involvement at the school with a very active PTA, which sponsors and organizes many family/community events. I am happy to be working at a school where parents and staff have a common goal, and work together to offer the students quality academic instruction as well as enrichment opportunities.

820 Steinbeck Drive, San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Allen at Steinbeck School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Allen at Steinbeck School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top