San Jose, CA

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted April 13, 2015
My son is a 4th grader at Allen. We have been very happy with his teachers and education. He has not only grown academically but socially as well. He likes the friends he has made and I like the community of parents, teachers and staff.

Posted April 13, 2015
We have been at Allen at Steinbeck for going on 5 years now and think it is a wonderful school. The teachers, principal, and staff work tirelessly and really care about the success of all their students in academics and happiness in life. I think there is a high core of parent involvement, leadership is strong, teacher quality is high, curriculum is challenging, the arts are appreciated, and diversity is embraced. Any situation with misconduct among students is taken care of in a caring, yet professional manner. Discipline is not ignored, but they tend to take a positive approach with it (caring for the child first and finding the reason behind the misconduct). My children are very happy at Allen at Steinbeck.

Allen at Steinbeck School 1

Posted February 08, 2015
This is a horrible school. You had better think about twice to send your kids. If it is possible, avoid this school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 23, 2014
I had the fortunate experience to be a part of this school. We were adopting a little girl who had some severe social issues and if it were not for the Teachers and the Staff we could not have made it through the transition. They have the most incredible people working here! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US You are a true blessing! I wish there were more stars to give.

Allen at Steinbeck School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
I was saddended to read one parent's assessment (9/12/12) of Allen. I attended this year's orientation/back to school night and may even be one of the individuals referred to. My wife and I have volunteered countless hours at the school and have a different view. Allen is filled with great kids, caring parents and quality teachers. We feel the student diversity is one of the schools greatest assets. I encourage these parents to volunteer and spend some time at the school. Hopefully they will see firsthand the well rounded quality education their student is receiving and all the opportunities Allen does offer.

Posted September 13, 2012
I have children currently enrolled in this school and they love it! My children have enjoyed every teacher they have had and the staff knows everyone by name. It is disturbing that another parent at this school is judging other parents and children because of their socio-economic class or appearance. They should take the time and introduce themselves to our "volunteer" run ABC Reading Program that teaches children the 41 assets they need to succeed. The PTA does a fantastic job getting out a Weekly Bulletin via the school's Yahoo Group. There are many before, during and after school activities that are available for all age levels. Volunteer opportunities are around every corner for programs like ABC Reading, Los Dichos, Science Vista and Art Vista to name a few. Back to School Night was fantastic! My husband and I enjoyed going to our kids classes in a relaxed and fun environment. We wouldn't change a thing. You should never judge a book by its cover!!

Posted September 13, 2012
We have been at this school for 5 years now. We're very satisfied with the staff and the opportunities afforded the students here. We have a child who successfully transitioned to high school thanks to this school. There are quite a few extracurricular activities available. Right now we have Band, Choir, Fit for Fun, Open Gym for basketball, Ballet Folklorico, Tennis, Mad Science, Young Rembrandts, and I think I saw a flyer for Chess. Later in the year we have Drama, Junior Achievement, Basketball, co-ed Baseball, Soccer, Football. I'm probably missing something. We are big fans of the Middle school here. Students are not another number here. They visit high schools and Universities to prepare for their educational future. They participate in leadership activities with other schools in the district. They are trained as peer leaders for recess activities with the elementary grades. There are middle school dances and a week long overnight trip (Yosemite in past years) in addition to field trips out on the SF Bay and after school hikes. We are very pleased with this school.

Posted February 09, 2012
i would just like to say that this school is amazing!! From the custodians to the principal and everyone in between it is full of top notch people. Aside from being a very aesthetic school it also has an amazing environment. It harbors a very family like atmosphere that makes you want to be involved as much as possible. The teachers that my son has had so far have been to good to describe. I wouldn't want my kids(next year they will both be here) to go anywhere else and lucky for my wife and I (and our kids) they won't have to until high school!

Posted August 16, 2011
I am thankful that Allen at Steinbeck is my Neighborhood K-8 School. Allen is a warm, friendly, inviting, exciting, learning institution where the kids are accepted for who they are and encouraged to be their best. Ms. Waller and her team strive for positive change and are open to learning about how they can better prepare themselves as educators to give our kids the best school experience possible.

Posted August 15, 2011
My children have attended Allen at Steinbeck since it began in Fall of 2005. I feel so privelaged to have been able to be a part of the growth of such a great place to the learn! My children have thrived in our neighborhood school with stellar teachers, supportive administration and a community that is not only diverse, but feels like home. We had a choice to attend other schools, but I'm glad we stuck with our home school. My children have befriended kids from all over the world and experienced a quality of education I could never have given them elsewhere. Though it has a large population, don't let it fool you - if you are there to support your child, he/she will recieve a personalized and top notch education!

Allen at Steinbeck School
820 Steinbeck Drive, San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Allen at Steinbeck School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Allen at Steinbeck School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 79 reviews. Top