Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Administration reaches high test score averages through eliminating any student who will lower the average, whatever it takes--including trumping up false charges. I had two children there, one an average-raiser and the other not. Both had abysmal experiences and I took them out to other public schools where they have thrived. In spite of some teachers that were good and an apparently diverse admin, the diversity climate is very poor too.

My son has been at Booksin since Kindergarten. He's in 3rd grade. Since he started the school has blazed through 3 principals. The only real good year was kinder. His 1st grade teacher was awful. She started at Booksin as a kinder teacher, was moved to 5th grade, and then to 1st, & now back to 5th. They just keep shifting her around to accommodate her tenure. 2nd grade was just OK. The teacher was a good teacher but ended up out on leave. They brought in a sub & with a month left of school swapped her out for his first 2nd grade teacher. My son struggled because of the different teaching approaches & lack of real direction. He's now in 3rd grade & tested at a low 2nd grade level. He struggles with his work. His 3rd grade teacher is new to the school & subpar. There is little direction on homework & if our son is showing signs of struggle there is no extra help for him w/ the exception of what he gets at home. This school is far from being "distinguished" as it's been rated amongst other schools in California. The yard duties are borderline abusive to the children (that is not an exaggeration) & the only thing that matters to this school is "image."

Very disappointed with Booksin this year. Current principal is more concerned with sweeping issues under the rug than dealing with teachers and parents with problem students. Can only hope for a change next year. Will take up issues with Superintendent and Police.

Booksin is a superlative public school due to the excellent teachers and the wonderful parent community which supports them! This is our 10th year and last year at Booksin and we are sad to move on, but the school has provide strong academic preparation and a great sense of community. Standout teachers include Mrs. Medina and Ms. Trefero - kudos to them for their hard work and ability to instill a love of learning in our kids!

We recently moved to Willow Glen and my kid was coming from a highly regarded and expensive private school before coming to Booksin. The teacher this year at Booksin, Miss Trefero, is as good as any at the private school. She's really helped to relieve my worries about the class size. And Ms.Atlas, the principal, is just great. She's on top of things, knows the public school and education system, and seems very, very dedicated to her job. So far so good!

This school is wonderful! My child is in kinder so this is only our first year but it has been amazing. The parent involvement is nothing like I have seen before! The principal is new & seems to have the children's best interests in mind. Nearly every morning, I see her walking around campus & talking to the students. There are so many great programs offered, as the previous post states. Cornerstone was one of my favorites. I have no real complaints about Booksin. Our first year there has been a great experience!

We have attended Booksin for 6 years now and I must express how happy we have been with the qualified teachers and the outpouring of parent volunteers. Booksin has an Art Vista program, Accelerated Reading program, Cornerstone Reading and talented parents who want to see the children strive in an academic environment. Booksin puts homework responsibility on both the children and their parents. You will be held accountable if your child does not take education seriously. We love Booksin Elementary and are sad this is our last year.

My son has been attending Booksin for 2 years now and I can t say enough good things about this school. The administration, teachers and kids together form a very strong community and a wonderful environment for the kids to learn and grow. The teachers are great and the parent involvement is outstanding. There are a number of extra programs like cornerstone, art vista and mastery reading that the kids benefit greatly from. The after-school Y-care program is also great. We will be moving from to the East Bay next year and will greatly miss Booskin.

Booksin continues to be fundamentally sound place for our kids to get an education. We all wish it had more for gifted students, and frankly we supplement our kids with some schooling at the Russian School of Mathematics. The teachers care, they help our kids get some more advanced work to do, they have great fundamentals programs for math and reading, and have done some nice things with the science fair efforts to make this an exceptional example of what a public educational system can do.

This school has great parent participation at every level from the classroom, to arts and afterschool events. We have three children in this school and are very happy here.

Last modified Booksin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.