San Jose, CA

Posted April 16, 2015
As a parent, I have been very satisfied by this school. I have been impressed with my child's teachers and the administration. As for behavior mentioned in a previous post, I met with the principal and also have gathered my own opinions and it appears that there are very few issues. The school uses a positive approach to recognizing the excellent behavior the majority of the students exhibit. After all, consequences really don't change behavior. I like how the teachers and the principal are working together to continue to develop strategies and provide supports for both behavioral and academic needs for some students and enrichment opportunities for all students. The PTA is a great support for the school - 100% membership for 6 years I think. You can't go wrong with Los Alamitos!

Los Alamitos Elementary School 3

Posted February 08, 2015
The school has excellent teachers and a great sense of community, however, there is little, if anything, being done about behavior issues in the classrooms and on the playground. The minimal consequences the school does have in place do little to discourage repeated bad behavior and unfortunately it's beginning to feel like the bad behavior is overpowering the good. Oftentimes, teachers have so many trouble makers in their class that they're spending a great deal of their time just trying to get these kids to listen or do their work, which makes it hard for the teacher to focus on the kids who are there to do their job and learn. Additionally, there are way too many kids on the playground and in the cafeteria at lunch--there's plenty of outdoor seating, yet for whatever reason they stuff so many kids in this tiny, stinky and obscenely LOUD cafeteria. Bullying is on the rise--kids continue being hurt by the same kids and it's been going on for years, yet nothing has been or is being done to address the issue. The leadership is really lacking...the principal needs to step up and start addressing these problems sooner rather than later!

Los Alamitos Elementary School 3

Posted August 29, 2014
I like that the parents and teachers are involved with the students and that this is in a good area but then with a strong PTA and everything why are the playgrounds in disrepair? Students are rushed out after 15 or so minutes of eating lunch. There have been some students that have done what is outlined as reason for suspension (it never happens) and when my child came home with a black eye I had no idea what happened but the school did and I guess didn't feel it was important to tell me. There was also an incident when a child (unsupervised ) fell on one of the playgrounds and was seriously injured but no one knew and I'm not sure how long they had to wait for help or anything. Everyday kids are playing and hanging out where they shouldn't be and with no adult supervision. Safety is another thing that I don't feel this school takes seriously as gates stay open/ unlocked and anyone can just wander on campus without a visitor badge or being questioned. It's almost as if they have the "that'll never happen to me" syndrome. Too bad the district no longer allows you to choose your school but instead you go to your neighborhood school and in this case we just have to settle.

Posted February 25, 2014
Absolutely fabulous well rounded experience for both my children. Great sense of community, very inclusive, with 100% PTA enrollment for I don't know how many years in a row now! :) I think that alone speaks volumes. It is hard to create this environment anywhere else. The Moms and Dads really get involved and prioritize their children's education. The teachers and Mr Rousseau go above and beyond to create an enriching and nurturing environment. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Posted January 17, 2014
We debated a lot before sending our child to this neighborhood school. Let me tell you, we are very happy to have made the right decision . The school's motto & the dedication of the teachers & off-course the principal is amazing. Great parent involvement , strong PTA . Bottom line we have made the right choice for our child.

Posted January 01, 2012
Los Alamitos Elementary School is a good public school. Teachers do their best with the limitations set by the local and state funding. Parent involvement is awesome, people in this neighborhood really care. Cons: I am not a big fan of the combo classes. Classes are a bit over crowded.

Posted May 07, 2011
Los Alamitos is a really good school. All the kids there are friendly and the teachers are all really nice. There are a few cliques that think they're all that, but mostly everyone's nice there. The people who work in the office are really nice too, so I recommend going to Los Alamitos Elementary School.

Posted April 02, 2011
It's true what you continue to read, the parents are heavily involved with students and staff. It is a great school but certainly not without flaws. With Kinders now joining the school for a full day, lunchtime can be tricky and even chaotic in a small cafeteria which runs in shifts. The school's annual walk-a-thon raises well over $100K yet, field trips have been compromised due to budget cuts.

Posted September 02, 2010
We are very happy with this school! The staff, teachers, parents and parent involvement are amazing. They are all very supportive. Great PTA, 100% membership from the parents last year!

Posted May 03, 2010
Los Alamitos has been a wonderful school for my first grader. I have seen him blossom with the nuturing, caring and academically bright teachers he has had so for for Kindergarten and First grade. His confidence is growing, his academics are top notch and everyone is very supportive. We moved to Almaden for the school system and we are not disappointed in the least!

Los Alamitos Elementary School
6130 Silberman Avenue, San Jose, CA  95120
Last modified Los Alamitos Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Los Alamitos Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 98 reviews. Top