San Jose, CA

Lowell Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2014
i cannot believe my child was denied what all the other kids ate for lunch because she had a balance of $4 and only had this balance because the lunch lady was charging her for breakfast which she never ate. i started to keep track of what she owed so this will never happen again and next thing you know she wasnt allowed to take a cookie she didnt finish!!!! if i pay for her food she should be able to take it and eat it later. this lunch lady is reallly rude not only to parents but also towards the children.

Lowell Elementary School 1

Posted August 29, 2013
I sent my child to this school reluctantly. It is in a terrible neighborhood, and is not our neighborhood school, but is the only SJUSD elementary school with the special ed program my child needed. We found the school to be a very large daycare center. Teachers are uninspired, the former principal could not connect with the largely Spanish-speaking parent population, there are no enrichment activities except a mariachi band, and the few parents who do try to make it a better learning environment are fighting an uphill battle. Typical SJUSD urban elementary school. Poor peer influences, low parent involvement, tired teachers, non-responsive administration.

Lowell Elementary School 4

Posted September 10, 2011
I was very leery to send my son to this school. However, I have found that it has an amazing teaching staff and outstanding principle. They have changed this school into a positive learning environment and created a community of school spirit that you don't find in other schools. The staff works VERY hard and because of the low socioeconomic status of the neighborhood, the school is helped out by the community. The staff has worked so hard and the State has taken notice, with Lowell winning The Title 1 Academic Achievement Award 2 years in a row, and also the title of California Distinguished School for the past 2 years. They have raised their API score to 820! That is fantastic for a school where the majority of the families are non-english speaking or ESL. When you are at this school, you feel like the district took only the best teachers and placed them here. They give their heart and soul to this school and these kids. But above all, it is the principle here who has provided the leadership that wins her many accolades among Lowell families and teachers.

Lowell Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2011
I love this school!! It is amazing & it has won Title I Academic Achievement Award TWO years in a row! All I can say is that it has great teachers and a great principal and co-principal! I HIGHLY recommend it!

Posted August 20, 2009
Teachers are great! Very experienced. Principal is a real treasure! But! this year they combined 1st & 2nd graders, and now there are more than 30 students in the class! Is that because 2nd graders are not smart, or 1st graders are cyberchildren? And if you want to volunteer, you will have to face bureaucracy, like filling papers, finger printing. I understand it is for a security of our children, and there should be some limitations and checks, but not fingerprinting! Poor teacher. With 30 and more students she would need some assistance, most parents are too lasy to take care of their own child's education, not to mention volunteering at school.

Posted April 03, 2009
This school has changed for the best in the past couple of years...The teachers are very helpful when it comes to us (parents) know if our child/ren are having any difficulty getting through class...I'm so glad to hear when I get home that my child is excited about what reading level she's in & makes the effort to get more words to help out the school in being THE BEST.

Posted March 24, 2009
This school has a remarkable family attitude. I have 35 years experience and this is one of the best places to work. The Principal is really a spark plug.

Posted March 23, 2009
I think there are great teachers,also they really care for their students and take time to help the students out.

Lowell Elementary School 5

Posted December 09, 2008
This school has changed in the last two years. Off of PI (Performance Improvement) and my boys love their teachers.

Posted October 31, 2007
Its a great school recommended for anyone with bilingual backroud and wants to keep it that way

Lowell Elementary School
625 South Seventh Street, San Jose, CA  95112
Last modified Lowell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lowell Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top