San Jose, CA
Students enrolled: 1,148

Posted November 20, 2014
My son graduated from John Muir and he loved the school, made a lot of friends, no issues with kids, teachers are nice and knowledgeable. If you are just evaluating the school, do yourself a favor, go to the school, talk to the wonderful principal Gloria Marchant, she is amazing! Very approachable, knows kids by name, passionate about kids and giving them the education they deserve. School has a lot of hispanic students, but they are hard working, good students.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 13, 2014
Best school ever . you get along with EVERYONE at school the staff is just great and welcoming 5 out of 5 !

Posted May 30, 2014
I was so worried about sending our youngest to this school after moving to CA from AZ. But I have to say, I'm so impressed with the teachers and academics. The teachers really get to know the students individually and care about their success. It's been a great 3 years. So glad we decided on John Muir.

Posted February 13, 2014
Don't believe this school is bad bullies bully other people right in front of teachers and the kids in some classes are extremely disruptive
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 06, 2014
This is my last year at Muir and I have loved it here! The teachers are wonderful and try their hardest to teach us. Some people say that the school is terrible because some of the kids are "bad", but I never really had that problem. I recommend to incoming 6th graders that they should choose their friends wisely; they will change who you will become. I would recommend parents to help your son/daughter in their new school to help them adjust by making sure that they are doing their homework or by checking their grades every so often. There are a few things that I wish they would bring back or start at Muir such as the Drafting/Junior Engineering Class or make a band class to go with our Digital Music class. Overall, it is a wonderful school and you will really enjoy it here.

Posted January 11, 2014
I'm a 6th grader at this school and I love it some people say bad language but I bet everyone does. All my teachers help me and support me.

Posted September 22, 2013
Can some other parents please provide feedback on the 6th grade math class? What is going on? The teacher doesn't reply to our emails. Instead of following the excellent book, the teacher prints out poorly hand-written homework assignments with few examples. Is this due to the new "Core" program? Further, the method being taught is too basic and conceptual, with limited practical application. Our son, who excelled in math at Hacienda Science is quickly learning to hate the subject as 'taught' at John Muir. The online portal shows he's received mostly 95+ on most tests, but has zeroes 'mystery' assignments that were not handed in. He just started there a few weeks ago, and I'm already considering a private school where he'll use a book, online resources, structured assignments, and qualified instruction necessary for success. We would have a hard time affording it, but math is too important a subject to allow some teacher or school district to "wing it" by ignoring the book and creating their own lesson plans hand-written in magic marker.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 19, 2013
Thank god that there are other public charter schools in our area. Too many rude kids come to this school just to fool around. The school always said they had good kids and not being helpful at all.

John Muir Middle School 3

Posted June 08, 2013
It's an okay school but there's a lot of violence, drugs, drama, ect. People are mostly based on their race.

John Muir Middle School 2

Posted May 30, 2013
The teachers are nice, but the students sure aren't. I'm a sixth grader at this school and so far I've hated it. I get bullied and made fun of almost every day. And it's not just me, either. I see a lot of other students get teased and bullied at my school. The staff might try to deny it, but I know they know what's going on. I see teachers witness kids getting bullied, and they don't even try to stop it! John Muir is a good school for the most part, but they should really do something about all this bullying that's been going on lately.

John Muir Middle School
1260 Branham Lane, San Jose, CA  95118
Last modified John Muir Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top