Posted November 20, 2014
My son currently is a student at Pioneer High. We love the school, academics and sport programs are great, kids are friendly, teachers are knowledgeable and approachable. School has programs to help with tutoring if needed, teachers are trying to accommodate my son's busy travel schedule when he has to travel for his hockey tournaments. Kids are encouraged to get involved with helping in the community.

Pioneer High School 2

Posted October 10, 2014
I went to this school for two years. The students are great. Pioneer has a few good teachers that I would recommend, the rest either have their 10 year or just don't know how to teach. I gave this school 2 stars because their staff are HORIBBLE! if you're lucky enough for the staff to actually follow through on what they say they will then it's done wrong or really late. I have not gone to this school for a year however, I'm still dealing with the mess that they could have fully prevented. My parents bought a house close to pioneer so my sister and I could attend. When we first went to the school the school was great. Since then it has completley declined.

Pioneer High School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
Pioneer high school has a good API score. Teachers are motivated and do a good job teaching. Parking drop off can be a problem in the morning as the drop off lanes get clogged by drivers who park on the Blossom Hill Rd curb infront of the entrance, this makes getting out a problem. Pioneer has a great gym, track, swimming pool, tennis court, baseball and football pitch. My daughter enjoys going to this school and is getting ready for University here.

Pioneer High School 4

Posted May 26, 2013
Our son is at the end of his freshman year. He has Geography, Band, English, Algebra, Biology, normal menu. All the teachers are quite good, especially English and Science. Other schools have elilminated Geography and Health. He gets attention when needed, he knows where his resources are. The coaches are fantastic and the band director is very dedicated. Our son feels part of the school fabric and the multi-cultural aspect of th school is a plus, not a minus. I am a teacher at a local HS in the area with a similar population. Pioneer is a much beter school than where I work at. SJUSD does have too much administrator turnover, partly due to such high expectations. I have been an educator sine 1983 and good administrators are hard to find. Pioneeer is meeting all of our needs, but the schedule is too early for teenagers.

Posted April 28, 2013
Pioneer suffers from the same issues that affect all of San Jose Unified: endless rotation of administrators and staff and a very diverse population. The revolving door results in a lack of continuity and no accountability and a very diverse population is difficult for any school to serve. The principal is new this year, and so far, I have not seen her once. The career counselor is also new and from the three or four interactions I've had with her, appears to be in way over her head. Teachers range from absolutely great to mediocre. On a positive note, my students have access to AP classes, there are lots of sports available, there's a big emphasis on service to the community and they seem happy there. All in all, PHS is okay, but I can't say that there isn't a lot of room for improvement.

Pioneer High School 2

Posted April 06, 2013
A true disappointment! Back in the good old days, this used to be considered a bad school, then it became the one of the jewels of the district. Now with poor leadership, and a school district that feels entitled, it definitely wouldn't be my first choice again for a school.

Posted February 16, 2013
Pioneer is an amazing school and the relationships with the students and teachers are very good. The school has a lot of spirit and a close knit community. Ive never felt more welcome at a school ever. I love pioneer. Go Mustangs!

Posted May 03, 2012
I graduated in 1994 from Pioneer and they were probably the best 4 years of my life - seriously. My friends think I'm crazy for loving high school, but my oldest sibling is 53 and my youngest sibling is 32, with me being 36, & there's 7 of us & we ALL LOVED Pioneer. Our parents were just barely middle class, but now all of my siblings and I have at least one home, or two, and several cars, and kids getting str8 A's in school or have from Ivy League colleges and it's all thanks to Pioneer. Out of 2,000 students 950 were Mexican & I loved it, there was only 1 fight in 4 years of school & everyone got along. There were more than 40 people in my graduating class that had 4.0 (or higher) GPA's & got scholarships to the best schools in the world/country. Maybe the parents complaining about it are the same ones that won't help their kids w/ their work @ night? My H.School teachers changed my life so I hope to retire at age 45 & teach high school so I can make an impact on a 1 child's life. And fyi, it's not the teachers fault there is so much homework, it's the government & the state's - Google it! Pioneer rocks & out of my 500 Facebook friends 250 of them r from PHS.

Posted May 07, 2011
Disappointed. Many problems with bullying, drugs and alcohol among students. Some teaching staff five star while many are one-or less. Many refuse to provide help to students and want students to ask peers for help. Teachers don't provide strategies that work for all students. Administration does not respond to problems in a timely manner if at all. Many problem students who disrupt classes or don't want to do anything. Administration thinks they know your child better than you do. Administration does not like to be challenged by parents who stay on top of things.

Posted May 07, 2011
Pioneer is an okay school. Most of the teachers are pretty good but there are certain teachers who are very rude and disrespectful. The people who attend this shcool are very cliquey and conceded. I have my little group of friends and certain people in my classes whom I talk to but other than that, a lot of students are only focused on one thing: popularity. Pioneer has a lot of clubs and stuff which is good but at the same time, the shcool pushes a little too much and expect too much from students. They have only one language as well.

Pioneer High School
1290 Blossom Hill Road, San Jose, CA  95118
Last modified Pioneer High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top