Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)

I'm very sad to say the school is a mess. Please, SJUSD, send us a new principal to fix things. We'd welcome Mrs. Samuels back with open arms!

I agree with the other parents re: principal. She is rarely around & very hard to reach. It took several weeks for her to respond to my emails requesting a meeting to discuss my child. With 29 students, my sons teacher is overwhelmed & disorganized at best. Her classroom is cluttered, uninspired & messy. In fact, the entire campus looks shoddy with litter strewn about. Each day on our way into the classroom we pick up several wrappers & discarded trash. Overall the school feels very institutional, lacking any personal feeling or specialness.

The principal is going to run the school into the ground. She is a horrible 'leader' and has alienated both staff and parents. She doesn't care anything about the kids - either academically or socially. She is combative and unprofessional in dealing with parents and is NEVER even seen out on the school grounds

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My child's current teacher is the worst he has had. Compared to other classes in the same grade level, they are behind in math and science. In addition, the homework he gets is the same as he got in the previous grade and even at that the teacher seems to have trouble explaining things in a clear way. She doesn't seem to understand the subject matter and often tells kids in her class to get help from the parents.

Under the current principal, the school has really gone downhill. She is rarely on campus and she obviously doesn't care about the students. It was telling that after almost two years since becoming principal, I heard several kids ask who she was. In contrast, the prior principal was well known to all of the kids and respected as an authority figure. Pictures of her drinking wine during a "girls night" with a couple of the moms she knows well were posted to facebook a year ago. These pictures have been circulated and seen by the kids. This is not the kind of example a elementary school principal should set in my opinion.

2 stars only because the new principle is not supportive at all! The teachers and the administration are nice and is willing to help the parents/students, but the principle is not.

My kids absolutely love(d) Simonds. The teachers are caring and attentive, and the administration is willing to address any problems that arise and try to resolve them hands-on. The introduction of common core standards is a new change that the teachers and staff are doing their best to embrace for the kids. Overall, I am very happy with the school.

We also transferred here and WOW we are extremely pleased with what we have found here. My child transitioned here easily and loves her new school and its offerings, especially that's she's learning keyboard and has a fabulous teacher. We look forward to our years here and being involved. Go Simonds!

As a transfer parent we love this school. The kids are enjoying the teachers and activities. Great principal and staff.

My child loving going to school here and the staff is excellent. They are always willing to listen and address any concerns I have.

Last modified Simonds Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.