Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school supports Project Cornerstone, which is an anti-bullying program that helps students develop the assets needed to become fair, empathetic, healthy young adults.

My daughter has been going to Terrell since kindergarten and loves the school. The teachers are wonderful and hard working and the Principal is committed supporting the students and teachers. I have been very pleased with the teachers my daughter has had and I am impressed with her current teacher. (Her Kindergarten and First Grade teachers retired, the others are all still on the staff.) I volunteer in the classroom and am a Project Cornerstone reader for other grades, so I am in the classrooms a great deal and I am impressed with what I have seen in the school. As a previous reviewer has pointed out, the school has art through Art Angels, music through Music for Minors, P.E. for all grades, lots of technology and supports many school clubs and after school programs. Is it perfect? No, no school is, but it's a GREAT school with a many wonderful teachers, staff, children and families!

This school seems to have a bad rap, and I simply do not understand why. Three beautiful neighborhoods surround it, but few children from the neighborhoods come here. Puzzling! Many transfer to other schools within San Jose Unified School District - which again is puzzling. SAME standards and curriculum across the board. Terrell teachers and staff are hands down absolutely amazing. There is little to no turn over -- which says A LOT! Terrell offers art, music, chess, Lego club, robotics club, and more! They have a desktop lab, laptop lab, and mobile chrome books = lots of technology. The principal and staff are open to ideas. Our only drawback - the lack of parent involvement - but this is not a reflection of the staff. And the parents that are involved are hands down incredible!!! If parents in the neighborhood sent their own children to the school, it will only improve the neighborhood school AND property values. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I think it is completely irresponsible for for the last reviewer to only give one star when they don't even have their own child attending Terrell. My son just started this year. His teacher is wonderful and the principal seems really involved with the students and parents. My son is excelling here and I'm really happy with the quality of education he is currently receiving.

Wow, looking at how the staff and school is rated compare to other elementary is terrible. I have a nephew going here and it seems that staff and poor leadership of the principal is a concern. To query this school and local housing to purchase, you can see how low of a score it's getting and have my child attend... I would be ashamed. Only thing about Terrell is about the parents that strives to make it better. This make you realize where our tax dollars are going.

My child and I didnt have a good experience at Terrell. I felt like the school only focus on my child's behavior rather than academically. Everyday is always something he did. The teacher doesnt know how to handle the student, they often called and interrupted me at work rather than trying to solve it. I finally had it and I pulled my son out of that school. We are now happy.

My son has been attending this school for 4yrs now and we are grateful for the teachers he's had so far!! Keep up the good work!!

During recent student recognition ceremony of proficient and advanced students, fourth grade teacher Marisa Rapinchuk and principal Lynn Hyssop "forgot" to give award certificate to a student. Teacher gave it next day only, after student showed the results of the tests to her. Extremely "professional" and "encouraging".

My daughter just finished Kindergarten at Terrell. Despite the negative impact of reduced school funding and much larger class sizes in the lower grades (30 kids per Kindergarten class!), this school has made the best of the situation. I felt that parents in my daughter's class really stepped up to the plate to volunteer in the classroom to help with the larger class size. Also, I feel the new principal keeps all parents informed and really believes in the school and improving all aspects of it. I believe this is an "up and coming" school, fighting to improve school climate and test scores despite difficult economic times. I gave Terrell an "average" score because I feel that it is currently an "average" school but has the potential to be much more.

The staff is truly caring and great. Unfortunately, the district has made so many cuts it will hurt our school. We have lost our life lab this year due to money. We don't offer any of the activities posted on this site like karate, newspaper, languages taught, etc. The 30 to 1 ratio in kindergarten is a nightmare. It really could be a great school with more participation and funding.

Last modified Terrell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.