San Jose, CA

Posted February 03, 2015
This school seems to have a bad rap, and I simply do not understand why. Three beautiful neighborhoods surround it, but few children from the neighborhoods come here. Puzzling! Many transfer to other schools within San Jose Unified School District - which again is puzzling. SAME standards and curriculum across the board. Terrell teachers and staff are hands down absolutely amazing. There is little to no turn over -- which says A LOT! Terrell offers art, music, chess, Lego club, robotics club, and more! They have a desktop lab, laptop lab, and mobile chrome books = lots of technology. The principal and staff are open to ideas. Our only drawback - the lack of parent involvement - but this is not a reflection of the staff. And the parents that are involved are hands down incredible!!! If parents in the neighborhood sent their own children to the school, it will only improve the neighborhood school AND property values. Seems like a no brainer to me.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 17, 2014
I think it is completely irresponsible for for the last reviewer to only give one star when they don't even have their own child attending Terrell. My son just started this year. His teacher is wonderful and the principal seems really involved with the students and parents. My son is excelling here and I'm really happy with the quality of education he is currently receiving.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 16, 2014
Wow, looking at how the staff and school is rated compare to other elementary is terrible. I have a nephew going here and it seems that staff and poor leadership of the principal is a concern. To query this school and local housing to purchase, you can see how low of a score it's getting and have my child attend... I would be ashamed. Only thing about Terrell is about the parents that strives to make it better. This make you realize where our tax dollars are going.

Posted June 11, 2013
My child and I didnt have a good experience at Terrell. I felt like the school only focus on my child's behavior rather than academically. Everyday is always something he did. The teacher doesnt know how to handle the student, they often called and interrupted me at work rather than trying to solve it. I finally had it and I pulled my son out of that school. We are now happy.

Posted August 09, 2012
My son has been attending this school for 4yrs now and we are grateful for the teachers he's had so far!! Keep up the good work!!
2 people found this helpful

Terrell Elementary School 2

Posted October 07, 2011
During recent student recognition ceremony of proficient and advanced students, fourth grade teacher Marisa Rapinchuk and principal Lynn Hyssop "forgot" to give award certificate to a student. Teacher gave it next day only, after student showed the results of the tests to her. Extremely "professional" and "encouraging".

Terrell Elementary School 3

Posted June 08, 2010
My daughter just finished Kindergarten at Terrell. Despite the negative impact of reduced school funding and much larger class sizes in the lower grades (30 kids per Kindergarten class!), this school has made the best of the situation. I felt that parents in my daughter's class really stepped up to the plate to volunteer in the classroom to help with the larger class size. Also, I feel the new principal keeps all parents informed and really believes in the school and improving all aspects of it. I believe this is an "up and coming" school, fighting to improve school climate and test scores despite difficult economic times. I gave Terrell an "average" score because I feel that it is currently an "average" school but has the potential to be much more.

Posted October 30, 2009

Terrell Elementary School 3

Posted September 26, 2009
The staff is truly caring and great. Unfortunately, the district has made so many cuts it will hurt our school. We have lost our life lab this year due to money. We don't offer any of the activities posted on this site like karate, newspaper, languages taught, etc. The 30 to 1 ratio in kindergarten is a nightmare. It really could be a great school with more participation and funding.

Posted December 16, 2008

Terrell Elementary School
3925 Pearl Avenue, San Jose, CA  95136
Last modified Terrell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Terrell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top