Merritt Trace Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in San Jose

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted January 31, 2011

My family has been at Trace for 4 years and my 2 very different children are both happy and thriving there. I love the proximity (it's my neighborhood school) and I have found the staff to be dedicated, caring, and professional. Despite its large size, Trace has a safe, community feel to me.

Posted January 28, 2011

We have been attending Trace for 3 years, and we really liked it in the beginning, but it has gone down hill recently. The school is so focused on meeting the minimum standards and making their AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) numbers as set by No Child Left Behind, that they have lost sight of their responsibility to teach all the children. The district and the administration have been only modesty committed to making changes and many parents seem frustrated and ready to go somewhere else.

Posted January 9, 2011

We sent our child here for a brief period of time and were very disappointed. The staff was disorganized and didn't seem to care about the students. The teacher was overwhelmed and wasn't effective in inspiring the class. If you want your child to merely get CA state mandated worksheets and minimal encouragement, then this is the school for you.

Posted November 12, 2010

Good school, but I think the PIE program is good and bad. I feel like some of the parents involved are bit of control freaks and seem like they take over for the teacher. They should take every opportunity when parents want to help and pitch-in, not just let the PIE parents do everything. So I go directly to the teacher now and ask if she needs help, I don't bother with the PIE parents cause they're control freaks. Other than the PIE parents, the school is great, i love the fact that it's very musically driven.

Posted October 22, 2010

My sons kindergarten teacher,Ms Mena is awesome! She is energetic, funny yet strict and all the kids and parents love her. She welcomes parents in the classroom and is always available to listen to your concerns. I am so happy that my son has Ms Mena as his first school experience. In addition, the parent participation program (PIE) and their arts program are top notch!

Posted May 20, 2010

Our child had a wonderful kindergarten year. The newish school has large rooms with in-class bathrooms so that they don't have to to travel to the bathroom. The teacher, Mrs Viau, is just AWESOME! We are in the Parent Involvement Education (PIE) program, and we found that we could meet the 40hour/year commitment just barely, because we both work. We were really grateful to the parents who worked everyday in the classroom. Mrs Viau really knew how to manage the parents.

Posted May 3, 2010

Trace school has great teachers and the whole staff .The principal and the vice principal knows ,just about all the students.

Posted March 27, 2009

My son is in special education and he attends a SDC at trace. I feel their emphasis on music and drama takes away time that should be spent on working on his IEP goals. He had to memorize a song a few months back that he had to recite in front of his class and it was just a nightmare. He actually came home crying. My husband and are are looking into moving him into another SDC.

Posted February 8, 2009

Trace Elementary is an amazing school! We are so happy there- the parent involvement program is what brought us here, but the fantastic staff, academic excellence and many programs are what keep us! All of the families are very welcoming, and we couldn't ask for a better education for our children. I am excited about the new construction- it is going to be wonderful to have our kids in state of the art classrooms as well as using a new theater. We have a very unique opportunity at Trace- we have outstanding music, drama and art programs that most schools aren't fortunate enough to have, and we also have an award-winning Parent Involvement in Education (PIE) program that encourages parent involvement for the entire school. It's no wonder that there has been a wait list to get into our school! We wouldn't choose anywhere else...

Posted January 17, 2009

The principals is very weak, we need to find a replacement. The new building is a mess still under constuction but using the class rooms.

Posted July 23, 2008

Trace has come far in such a short period of time. When I first started looking at schools 4 years ago, I would have never considered it; it was the rumors I was hearing about the PIE program that pulled me in for a second look. The PIE program has exceeded all of my expectations making this an exciting and fulfilling experience for both my child and our family. I seriously considered private alternatives, but am elated with my decision to 'try' Trace.

Posted June 26, 2008

My daughter has been going to Trace since first grade and she and I both love it!! Excellent teachers

Posted August 13, 2007

I have two children enrolled in this school. I think that parents owed a lot of credit to the dedicated and highly qualified teachers who have been willing to help the PIE program succeed. Within the last two years the focus has been on testing more than in the academic success of the students, and we lost about 50% of the qualified and experienced teachers. I would like to see an inclusive PIE program rather than an exclusive one.

Posted May 14, 2007

Teachers are highly skilled. Great performing arts and music, just not enough of it in the upper grades.

Posted March 28, 2007

I had my child registered in a local private school, but I later decided to try Trace for a year. Within the first year, I was totally sold. The teachers are dedicated professionals with a passion for children. My child has grown leaps and bounds. He has developed an ear for music, which has been stimulated by Trace's rare audio, visual and performing arts curriculum. This past year he sang in the choir and began taking cello lessons. He's now able to read music and play by touch. I've also developed a respect for the administration at Trace. Principal Erin Green can be seen daily talking to the children. She knows most by name. Considering the size of the school, that is amazingly telling! I've also been told that she sits down with EACH child to go over last year's test results and to set this year's goals. Now that is service!

Posted March 9, 2007

Trace is a great place for kids! Not only do they have a fantastic arts program, students have great opportunities in sports, academics and now a GATE Program! I love my school and my child is motivated. Trace is the best kept secret in the Rose Garden!

Posted November 27, 2006

I have a second grader at Trace. I have a lot of complaints about the school management and school sysytem in general. The traffic is dangerous in front of the school. The field needs maitanance badly. The teachers are not up to par, them seemt o be underpaid and unhappy there. Very low funds I guess. They are always trying to sell you stuff.

Posted September 20, 2006

This is my childs second year at Trace and although I have personally had many reservations regarding the school environment, my child is positivly thriving. The teachers have always been very willing to work with me regarding my childs academic progress and listen and help solve any questions that have arisen. This year the school now has more than 100 families that are participating in the PIE program, so that means that more than 100 families have to participate on a regualar basis and undergo different 'training' sessions periodically. Principal Green has done and continues to provide excellent supervision and discipline for the children at Trace. This is definately a school that needs to be considered when researching a school for your child. Last year being the 'transition' year was challenging, but this year there is very much a different feel to the school!

Posted September 3, 2006

Hi, I've had two children at Trace and highly recommend it. 2005-06 was a transitional year with the consolidation of Cory and Trace and we made it through just fine. With strong, yet fair leadership from Principal Green, students raised test scores, learned to respect one another, and participated in the amazing arts program (one of only ten in California and is not to be missed)! Through our PTO, students went on some great fieldtrips and even had some come to them. This is a school where parents really care in and outside the classroom. A few years ago, Trace had a problem with bullying, however, the zero tolerance programs initiated by our Principal have become the standard, and Trace is a new school. My children felt safe and secure at Trace and were able to excel academically beyond my expectations and make some great friends. Trace is worth a look!

Posted August 31, 2006

I have two kids enrolled at Trace, and have seen that this school has a long way to go to achieve a high status. I agree that the classes that have the PIE program excel far and beyond the other classes. This is the minority of the school population. Why is there no emphasis in the remainder of the classes? The rest of the students are losing out on the special activities that the PIE classes get. It seemed that the school was focused more on achieving a higher API score than teaching the fundamentals. Too many times complaints went unanswered. This school needs to get better teachers that can teach the fundamentals rather than spend all of the class time trying to control their class. So far this year(06-07) it is traveling down the same path. For our kids sake please listen to all the parents inputs and complaints.

This school's

-56

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students32%

• Anacelia Rocha
Fax number
  • (408) 535-2304

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now