Willow Glen High School

Public | 9-12 | 1548 students

Posted August 28, 2013

" if child has learning problems they do npot look at IP." Submitted by a parent As a student who has had an IEP and now a 504, I have been contacted each year for a meeting. If I talk to my teachers, they will help meet my needs in anyway the document allows. I have never had an issue with my 504 at Willow Glen High.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 14, 2013

I reviewed this school when my daughter was a sophomore. Now she is a junior at University. She took some AP classes at WGHS and was a good student but I did worry and wonder whether she was really being prepared for college. You don't really know until they get there. So, now I know. I would say that she was well prepared in terms of language arts and science - because of the AP classes, perhaps? She got short-changed on the math. She's been short-changed in math since middle-school. I believe this is probably because teachers are not paid enough to attract enough good mathematicians to the profession. Perhaps, also, because of the persistent prejudice against girls in math. I don't blame the school or anyone in particular. My daughter is finally in calculus and doing okay-it's been a long haul. All in all, I'd say WGHS is a good school - as good as they can be under all the circumstances. One of the biggest plusses is the small, but very active group of parents who are so involved in the extracurricular activities. With the terrible funding of public schools parents have to be involved. You especially have to stay connected to your kid - that is where the rubber meets the road.

Posted August 25, 2012

There can be "NO TOLERANCE" when it comes to the safety of our children... NONE.... The world is crazy and if the threat was real, the casulites would be unmentionable.. but thank God it wasnt.The staff and administrators are big on pushing "NO TOLREANCE" on our kids and force feeding these idealogies. But when the shoe is on the other foot, incidents gets sweeped under the rug, no communcaition, 2nd and even 4th hands reports, no organizations, and no leaderships.... Where was the Sports Director, and all these other administrators? Why wasnt the football program canceled... MONEY or did the safe with a "NO TOLREANCE" take the back seat to money. What a disgrace from a school that lives in a glass house.

Posted April 28, 2011

Not ready to rate yet, my daughter is coming into WGHS as a junior coming from private school. I am actually impressed with the smaller feel of the school. She is recommended to take AP classes to stay challenged and that is something we did not have at our past school unless you were an A++ student. So I am looking for great things of my daughter. It is our neighborhood school and I feel good about it since I pay taxes on it! Willow Glen High School was one of the best High schools around in the 1970's they had metal shop, great athletics, home economic classes,sewing, they had a car fix it program where did these go?

Posted July 17, 2010

I have to give this school some credit - for a public school in a mediocre district it's pretty good. I have problems with the public school system so I have lots of gripes BUT I'll start by saying that my kid likes this school; that is saying quite a lot. She's an honor student but not interested in the whole sports/govenment/spirit thing but still feels like she's part of a big family. I know some of the teachers and they are real humans who are very committed to the kids and the kids feel it. They work like dogs. The college and careers counseling is outstanding. The administration is approachable-you can work with them. Don't expect perfection but as these things go the school is not bad. Remember this is a big government institution - adjust your expectations accordingly.

Posted August 31, 2009

In response to the person who posted on August 29, I would say that the Principal is actually extremely accessible and responsive to parent requests. I can imagine that she is overloaded with beginning-of-the-school-year requests, so I would counsel patience and persistence in contacting her. As for Auto and Metal Shop, those are available through CCOC (Central Country Occupational Center), and many WG students take advantage of those and other classes such as Veterinary Technology. They can even take a bus from the WGHS campus to and from CCOC. And I know for a fact that they work very hard to help students with learning problems. I'm sorry that you've had these experiences, but I would encourage you to try again. We have a Senior and a Freshman and have been thoroughly pleased with their experiences.

Posted August 29, 2009

principal is hard to reach. electives there are none no auto shop or metel shop to teach student to work with there hands if child has learning problems they do npot look at IP.

Posted May 1, 2009

My daughter is a Senior and is vey happy at WGH. I would agree with some of the comments made by other parents about team spirit a strong point at WGH. I would also like to mention Mr. Gallegos. I have had the opportunity to speak with him on a couple of occassions, and I believe he is doing a great job. Lastly, communication between parents and teacher could be better. Sincerely, CH

Posted November 16, 2008

I like this school for my teen. but feel that the communication between teacher & parent is poor. Its difficult to get in touch with the teachers. Not too crazy how the school deals with discipline. But may not be the schools fault...could be the district in itself, and their policies.Not in the best interest of the child. Overall, for 2 yrs I have been pretty pleased WG.

Posted August 6, 2008

Excellent School, need more good parent to support so rating can go up more higher then usual

Posted June 14, 2008

I have been a parent at WGHS for three years and have three more to go. The programs are outstanding, the feeling of family is strong and the administration is very focused on the kids. You can see the teachers becoming a stronger team every year. The kids are very devoted to this school and are being accepted at the whos who of colleges. What else can you ask for?

Posted April 23, 2008

I think that this school has potential, but there are many improvments that can be made. Overall this school has very good teachers with certification above and beyond. Students have the capability of interacting with fellow students and having a 4.0 GPA if they try their best. There is also quite a bit of school spirit shown, which is outstanding. GO RAMS!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 7, 2007

Willow Glen High School tends to get a bad rep from people who don't go to the school and don't really understand the school at all. In actuality, it's a great school! My kids go here and when talking to parents from other schools, they usually end up jealous of the great programs offered at the school, the great teachers--and the most AP classes in the district, the parent involvement and the camaraderie the kids feel. Time and time again you hear kids say they feel like family at Willow Glen High School. Don't listen to the nay-sayers that don't know the school. Also, gang-presence is less here than at any other school. In 4 years, I've never heard of one gang fight at school. Kids feel safer at WGHS than when they visit any other school. This is the best!

Posted October 5, 2007

My daughter graduated in 2005 from Willow Glen High. I am a huge fan of this school. The teachers are outstanding, the parent participation is wonderful and it's a school that gets support from the surrounding community of Willow Glen. I would choose it again without hesitation. Our family had a great four years.

Posted October 5, 2007

Our daughter graduated from WGHS in '07, and we had nothing but the best of experiences while she was there. 94% of her graduating class was starting college in the fall - the highest class ever to have such an achievement. It's a great school!!

Posted October 5, 2007

Willow Glen excels in it's college prep for students. It has numerous AP and University Express courses to choose from, an excellent college counseling program, and graduation standards that meet or exceed the UC and CSU entry requirements. When comparing experiences with friends from other schools, they have not been nearly as well informed about college prep and don't have anywhere near the number of AP courses. Therefore, their students may not be as able to compete for those spots at impacted colleges. Willow Glen is improving greatly every year, and it's exciting to anticipate more changes that are expected in the near future.

Posted October 5, 2007

WGHS is a great high school offering AP classes, and classes that receive college credit as well as the broad base academic requirements. WGHS is diverese ethnically and financially offering the student body a greater picture of the real world. WGHS has a strong spirited school as well as a very supportive parent group and surrounding neighborhood community. Our son is a recent graduate of the school, and is part of the 94% of graduating students going to college. Overall it has been and continues to be a great school in our neighborhood.

Posted October 2, 2007

I am an alumni of WGHS and I can say that I was proud going to that school back in the 70's and i'm proud to have both of my kids attending WGHS today..there was a period of time when this school didn't meet the expecatatons of other high schools in the area and neighborhood kids were not coming here but the extreme dedication by this administration, teachers, parents and students turned that around..Over the past 5 years this school has reached new academic levels, parent involvement, and leadership..It is great to be able to say that WGHS is back on the map and this is the high school kids want to go to-there is even a waiting list to get in..Not only are the neighborhood kids coming back but so are those who once graduated here and now are teachers..It's just fantastic..Thumbs up to Willow Glen High School.

Posted October 2, 2007

Many of the teachers are alumni so they have a vesed intrest. They are more then willing to help any student who bothers to seek out help. They also have a great homework center.

Posted September 30, 2007

I strongly disagree with the person who reported that the school does not keep parents informed. We got phone messages at least once a month, regular mailings to our home, and e-mails about every day from the parent volunteer who sends regular updates to everyone on her e-mail list (which was extremely easy to join). Our daughter is a senior and has attended since halfway through her freshman year. We have liked her teachers, and the administration has always been very responsive to all our needs. I was amazed, when I looked at the yearbook, at how much there is for kids to be involved in -- more than they could ever imagine. WGHS has just undergone some admin changes, but the new folks look to be great replacements for those who left.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

407 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

410 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

408 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

369 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

373 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students13%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)59%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate93%
Parent education - declined to state50%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students35%

Parent education - college graduate63%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate75%
Parent education - declined to state45%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)

• Kaia Hamilton
Fax number
  • (408) 535-2353

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Individually guided instruction

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2001 Cottle Avenue