Willow Glen Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $619,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,590.

Posted May 13, 2014

I drive the neighborhood kids to school. All the kids hang out with different groups of kids. Yet, all of them love Wg. They are all going to be in 8th grade soon and have all had a great experience. They offer all kinds of sports, dances every month, a bunch of clubs, a lot of electives. There administrators are strong. I have been a teacher for 20 years and the teachers are great. They have classes for the gifted and children with special needs. There are parents involved. Yet, most kids at this age, in my experience as a junior high teacher, don't want their parents involved. They want their space. I am happy we sent my son here and we didn't put him in private school. We made the right choice to send him to WG.

Posted May 1, 2014

Going from Booksin to WGMS was like going from Beverly Hills to East LA. Sorry, I know none of the local parents want to hear that, but its the truth. I agree with the last reviewer that the assignments are "dumbed down"...some of the assignments were literally 4th grade level when my child was in 7th grade! If we had an issue with a teacher, all we got was a shrug from the administration, and the bad behavior noted by the last reviewer is literally ingrained in the school culture. Parent participation is very minimal and not encouraged by the school. If I had it to do over again, I would have moved before putting my children here. Just a bad experience all around.

Posted April 29, 2014

After a bad 6th grade experiences, we are pulling our daughter out of WGMS. Coming from Booksin, our expectations were high and WGMS was a disappointment. Here are the reasons we are leaving: 1) The curriculum is sub-par. Our daughter read more books, wrote many more papers, and did more special projects in 5th then 6th. In all subjects except for math, the curriculum was easier then 5th (dumbed down and shallow). Homework was a waste of time. (She outgrew crossword puzzles and coloring in 3rd grade.) 2) She had only two strong teachers in 6th (Math and PE) and the rest were poor or mediocre. Boring, unorganized, unresponsive, uncaring, strict and the opposite of inspirational. 3) The new (non-Booksin) kids she met were mostly mean and poorly behaved. She saw kids bullied, shunned and ignored routinely, mean comments and swear words spewed daily and teachers disrespected. Also, about half the kids could care less about learning. They didn t turn in their homework or participate in class and regularly became nuisances and distractions to the kids who actually wanted to learn something. 4) Parent participation is minimal and parents are not welcome in class. I hope they improve.

Posted December 8, 2013

Outstanding school community and academic experience. WGMS has improved each year. The administration is balanced and caring. The academics are great at the advanced levels. Parental involvement the last 5 years has resulted in an explosion in arts, sports, and leadership.

Posted September 25, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this school. Bullying is a HUGE issue. Get that fixed ASAP! In my 7th grade year, I was bullied excessively. It was to a point where I felt everyone hated me, and the staff barely did anything about it. They let the other kids off with a warning and a lecture, but that did nothing. Other than my bullying issue, the academics are OKAY. Teachers need to be a bit more willing to help the students. I would someday like to send my kids to this school because it IS a neighborhood school. However, if the school hasn't solved the issues on bullying and/or tolerance, I'm not sending them here.

Posted July 17, 2013

Willow Glen Middle schools staff and administration in caring. There offer a lot of electives, sports, clubs and activities. Two of the best schools in San Jose Unified feed into WG. Most of them go to the middle school. They have challenging classes for the gifted. Many of the teachers and police officers who live in WG send their children to the school. I am a middle school teacher in Santa Clara for 20 years and all middle school have bullying unfortunately. Yet, WG staff nabs it in the butt right away. They just have to be informed like any staff. They have an excellent Principal and VP which makes the school run well. My children and myself have been in the private and public school system as students and we love Willow Glen Middle School. I went to WG and we made the right decision putting our sons into Schallenberger and WG.

Posted April 12, 2013

The administrators here do not communicate will with each other. I have requested meetings for my son's teachers and the principals they notified the other parent but did not notify me at all. The meeting was held without me. I met with the one teacher and reached out to her but she was not helpful to me at all. However another teacher was very kind and did provide the help I asked for and helped my student out a lot. I have struggled for two years with this school and feel they communicate with the other parent and exclude me. I cannot even get mail from the school or district even though they have my address and I have requested the DO to add my address. They have yet to do this. I suppose if your child does well in school and does not struggle the school is appropriate. However, I have had very little support.

Posted June 13, 2012

My daughter just completed her 6th grade year at WGMS and I have been impressed on so many levels. I work in education and feel I have a good understanding of what's important in a school (it's not just the API score - what is often referred to as the Affluent Parent Index) and this school has it! The communication is excellent, curriculum is targeted to state standards with lots of project based learning, teachers are kind and caring, discipline is good and bullying is NOT tolerated. This is a public, city school so it's not like Challenger or Valley Christian where you can kick anyone out. This is an environment of learning but also social learning, being with a diverse group - that's life. Additionally, extra-curricular activities are amazing - more choices than most middle schools in the county.

Posted June 2, 2011

They didn't include my son in his graduating year yearbook. All we got was a "sorry" and a refund. Besides that, it has been an ok school. Changing principals a lot.

Posted May 30, 2011

ilove willow glen middle school im currently a student there all the teachers are nice the administration this year is strict and this year is going very good if you do not do your homework assignments they give you f's . so look at this middle school best middle school ever so i dont agree with the 2nd to last comment that is so not true SO LOOK AT THIS SCHOOL EVEN IF YOU COME FROM BOOKSIN OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL.!

Posted May 3, 2011

I completely disagree with the previous posts regarding WGMS. This is a supportive, neighborhood school where bullying is not tolerated. PBIS, Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports is a system created to create a positive environment for all students on campus. This school challenged my child to obtain all A's in 6 semesters allowing her to sign the Golden Book. With 3 full years of science, she left middle school scoring advanced on the CST state test in math, science and language arts. Choose WGMS for the programs, stay because of the positive community involvement.

Posted March 24, 2011

I agree with the last two reviews wholeheartedly. My child was not just bullied when she was in 6th grade there, she was grabbed by a girl in a crowd of girls surrounding her. The discipline was not there. I had to go back and forth and still nothing came of it. It IS the parent's responsibilty to instill tolerance and confidence, but why should the kids who possess these qualities have to fear school because other parents do not? Is school not supposed to be a safe place for children to learn and grow? It is appalling to hear that some parents excuse the school for being unsafe. My child did receive attention and nurturing from her teachers. There was no true preparation for high school and when she went on to high school, she said she felt like she was tossed into the ocean with no life raft. Academic preparation is important, but it is also important to give the 8th graders a more accurate portrayal of what demands high school has on homework, personal accountability, lack of teacher support and expectations from administration.

Posted March 23, 2011

This school has rampant bullying issues. The problem has existed there so long that the student culture is broken and needs a major "reset". I would definitely NOT recommend sending your 5th grader to this middle school, especially if you are coming from a really nice, neighborhood elementary school, such as Booksin Elementary. You will be horrified and your student will be abused. The contrast is that sharp. Aside from the barbarous culture, our child tells us that most students in his classes don't bother turning in homework and still get 'C' grades in their classes. The teachers seem to "look the other way" at classroom discipline problems. In two words: Look elsewhere.

Posted March 23, 2011

I have to say that I had absolutely no issues with sending my 6th grader to WGMS, and I have not regretted it one bit. My son has had a great experience thus far, and has adapted to the culture well. His teachers appear responsive and he has been involved in leadership and school sports. I have heard of none of my child's friends complaining of bullying, as they all are used to diverse environments. It is the parents' responsibility to teach tolerance and instill confidence so the student optimizes his/her educational opptys. I have another child going to WGMS next fall, and have no problem recommending the school to others, My son plays sports with kids from Booksin, Schallenberger, and Willow Glen Elem, and I have heard none of them say a negative word about the school.

Posted June 6, 2010

great for training us to study for tests. My favorite teacher here at WGMS has been Ms. Garcia. She goes above and beyond in everything she does. She set up her classroom with amazing lights in her classroom with vases of flowers on desks and snacks for all to enjoy while we did the poetry slam, inpiring students to enjoy and appretiate poetry. The poetry slam was after we finished our poerty anthologies. We wrote about 15 poems about one subject (examples: lyric poems, elegies, sonnets, concretes, etc.). I also had an amazing social studies teacher who showed great videos and DVDs in relation to the subject. I was amazed to see all the citizens who perished during the civil war. That class inspired me to collect many of the state quarters - I now have the full collection. Thanks Willow Glen for all the great life lessons I have learned!

Posted March 15, 2010

The cheerleaders at willow glen middle are absolutely not racist and have become positive role models. Willow Glen Middle has so much to offer it's students. Teachers really do make an effort to offer extra help to their students.

Posted December 17, 2009

I think this school is amazing it teaches you al lot principal malina is the best and so is mrs.Saldana I think kids looking for a school to go to should go to WGMS

Posted October 6, 2009

Willow Glen Middle School has provided excelent and creative opportunities for my child to grow and learn; and the teachers seem to really care about the kids.

Posted February 27, 2009

Willow Glen has a handful of teachers that are really excellent, but too many teachers teach at an excruciatingly slow pace. If your an overachiever or or excell in academics, I warn you that the only advanced classes this school are those in math. However, willow glen is an overall good school. There are a multitude of different, engaging electives and a good sports program. There is a small problem with swearing and bad behavior among the student body, but there are almost no violence issues. I can't understand why any student would not feel 'safe' at this school.

Posted December 6, 2008

This is a great school. Recent changes in district policy have made this a 'neighborhood school' that now draws on highly-ranked elementary schools Booksin and Schallenberger. Watch for rapid growth in test scores. Lots of parent involvement and committed teachers. I am very happy with this school, have sent my daughter and will send my son.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students69%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)67%
Parent education - college graduate79%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate93%
Parent education - declined to state36%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students4%
Parent education - not a high school graduate6%
Parent education - high school graduate8%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)n/a
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music