Posted March 14, 2014
I've been quite pleased with the quality of the teachers and overall leadership of the school. I have noticed a disconnected in the principal leadership as others have suggested. But what I see as a bigger problem is some very disconnected parenting. People are busy and have jobs, they need to in order to stay in this area, but only a small percentage of parents actually volunteer and contribute to the school. The vast majority rarely set foot on school grounds, dropping their kids at the curb as they race off, ignoring the right turn only sign on the way out as they turn left. While probably not an isolation, the sheer volume of necessary daily goods stacked on the lost and found cart is a sign that some parents just don't care. That worries me. I've also found that while its wonderful that a lot of parents grew up in this area and are long-time friends, there is certainly an atmosphere of exclusivity that wrongly alienates a lot of good people. This cliquey behavior sets a bad precedent for the children who otherwise have no concept of class and superiority. Overall, the locals could be more welcoming to newcomers in the community and all parents could be more involved.

Posted November 08, 2013
This is an amazing school. I attended a principal coffee today and it was informative and well organized. The focus was on Common Core standards and there is a clear plan in place in terms of teacher training at the school site. In addition there are great programs and a friendly climate.

Posted September 02, 2013
I have been a part of this school community for almost 5 years. We value the experience that our children are receiving at Carlton. The teachers, principal and office staff are completely approachable and truly care about our children's well being and academic success.. Carlton also has a wonderful community. Parent volunteers spend hours at the school to help enrich Carlton's programs. I cannot say enough about our experience at Carlton so far. We could not be more pleased.

Posted May 27, 2013
This is the second school which my son has been in (after a move from Campbell) and I am extremely pleased. I cannot say enough good things, from the outstanding teachers to the great administration. My son has never done better, nor liked school so much as he does now. The administration seems to be very progressive in their methods with high focus on results. I would recommend this school to any who are sincerely interested in their children receiving the best possible education and development.

Posted May 20, 2013
I have been an involved parent at Carlton for 7 years now. I have also taught elementary school for over 16 years. Yes, our school has a newer principal with a different leadership style. In my 16 years of education I have had 5 principals. Each one of them brought something new to our school. It is sometimes hard for parents and teachers to adjust to the changes and it takes time to be open minded about the new ideas. I believe Carlton still has a tremendous staff that is being led by a good leader. When I have had a concern or an opinion, I have always felt I could express these feeling to the principal. In the end, I am pleased that my children are learning, happy and have had wonderful teachers.

Posted May 17, 2013
I must totally agree with the previous reviewer regarding the new principal. I'd like to see the district solicit in-depth feedback from parents and teachers, and take necessary action before the wonderful culture and quality of this school is lost.

Carlton Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2013
It's important to remember that Carlton Avenue school has been under new leadership since August 2011. The school has an actively involved parent community. Most teachers are top-notch. So the very good test scores and other positive attributes of the school mostly reflect legacy programs and leadership, and not the current reigning leader. I would like to see the Union School district solicit in-depth feedback from parents and teachers specifically regarding the current leadership at Carlton Avenue School. It has been two years in this top-level role. Word around the community and from our family's personal experience suggests that the current leadership is failing; it seems essential to investigate further and see where there is room for improvement. The general district survey does not allow for comments and does not get specific enough to provide the district with any helpful insight. On a side note, there are bright spots: The ever-smiling and helpful front office administrative assistant and the PE coach are two wonderful and caring individuals.

Posted May 03, 2013
The community is great and the school works well for most students. I have noticed that students that are below grade level receive extra help and students that are above grade level are pushed. However there are many students that are just average and trying to get extra help for a student that is average or struggling in one subject is impossible. The teachers focus on that they are meeting the academic level, but I believe we should be helping these kids achieve as well. If you have a student that behaves well and gets okay grades the school lets them be mediocre.

Posted September 17, 2012
Although we enrolled in 4th grade, we were thrilled with the superb educational opportunities from this, our local public, school. The teachers were far more educated about teaching the whole child. My "out of the box" son is appreciated instead of benched every day. The administration is unified and consistent. All staff is great at communication. Our previous private school could not and would not provide advanced curriculum and Carlton had many programs already in place. I wish my daughter had benefitted from this school. In addition to the staff, the parents and school community is welcoming and full of parent involvement. Carlton is a fantastic educational community!

Posted September 07, 2012
My children attended Carlton from Kinder through 5. They, and I, LOVED their experience there! Carlton, and the Principal, foster a safe, nurturing environment where all students are encouraged to grow to their full potential. My son is well above grade level in all subjects but was offered many advanced and excelerated options so was never bored. The school is a 'Bully Free Zone' and takes that very seriously with Monthly Anti-Bullying classes for each grade level as well as lots of playground supervision. There is tutoring in Math and Reading in all grades as well as before school help for those that are below grade level. I am shocked that anyone would rate Carlton anything less than "Excellent" and can only assume that there was some extreme situation with their child that they didn't like but I never once had any of my questions or concerns disregarded by teachers, staff or the Principal.

Carlton Elementary School
2421 Carlton Avenue, San Jose, CA  95124
Last modified Carlton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carlton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top