Guadalupe Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2014
I'm so upset with this school. My family is a low sugar family. This school feeds more sweets to my kids than I have ever fed to my kids for their entire lives! I made gluten free sugar free (with stevia and erythritol) cupcakes for my daughter's birthday yet she came home crying because kids teased her about them! I emailed the new principal about changing birthday policy to non food items only. She replied that it is a policy change that can only be done at the district level and that's it. She had no intention to go out of way for it (despite there are many obese kids in this school). I also emailed the principal about another issue between students and she bounced email to the teacher and did not want to deal with it at all! Some teachers are very hard working and very good at communicating with parents. Some are totally the opposite! We just started at a new school district that has strict non food birthday policy. I'm very happy with where my kids are right now.

Posted August 28, 2014
I've read the older reviews of this school and completely disagree with the parents who say the teachers and principal are just focused on test scores. Year after year, my children have had caring, dedicated teachers who have taken the time to help my children with learning throughout the year. This is the greatest school ever! Every time I think of something I wish they had, I find out it is already in the works. The principal is on top of trends that need to be addressed and the teachers are the most dedicated group of people I have ever encountered. Sour grapes and unique situations may explain the negative comments made in the past. My kids have had an amazing experience here. I am so glad we live in this area.

Guadalupe Elementary School 3

Posted April 04, 2013
Like many parents at Guadalupe we moved into this area to send our children to a high scoring API etc... 5 star, 10 out 10 school accepting nothing less. I have first & second grade children. We were very excited to start the year. The PTA was amazing starting the year by handing out envelopes of cash to the teachers to purchase what the district did not cover, art & music programs were in place and upcoming projects & events had tenured heads of committees. What a dream, purchased our gold membership with the tens of thousands we were now saving on private schools and off to a good start. The school was clean, organized and class sizes were 25 in each class, plenty of parent involvement taking care of the light work, library, yard duty, walkers club etc... There were many club opportunities and if the right ones were not there it seemed easy enough to bring them in. PE was a bit of an issue with the district cutting it out but I never heard a complaint about there kids not doing organized jumping jacks and the money was there to bring someone in if decided by the PTA. Why 3 stars? Education, that is why our kids are there. Not to study for Star & API testing but applied education.

Posted September 05, 2012
We are so happy with this school. Our children have thrived here! Incredibly hard working teachers and staff. Parent participation is high, another key factor in a successful school.

Guadalupe Elementary School 4

Posted August 02, 2012
The principal is focused mainly on STAR test scores so the teachers teach the student how to test well on the STAR test vs learn how to think and learn the concepts based on the principal's direction.. There is a strong parent involvement and the Home & School Club is strong supporting the arts, technology and PE. Most of the teachers are great thou there are a couple weaker ones. Overall I am pleased with my child's education but wish that the principal concentrated on the whole child's education vs testing well.

Posted July 25, 2012
My experience with the school; its teachers, principal and fellow parents has been positive. I have a child that has difficulty with focusing and unfortunately a public school may not be the best place for them. However, I have worked with the school and will continue to work with the school on making sure my child has the best learning experiene they can get. This has not nor will not happen with out perseverence and communication on my part and the school's part. The school has excellent educators from the top down and not everyone will agree with or like them but that may be a personal problem. I don't like canned spinach but that's not the can's fault.

Guadalupe Elementary School 2

Posted July 19, 2012
Great test scores! Unfortunately this is the only thing this school cares about. Parent involvement is good, but teacher and principal knowledge, accountability and communication is lacking. Principal and school is not focused on educating the child, only worried about achieving high marks to pat themselves on the back. Some administrators are rude. Not what you want for your kids/family. :( disappointed!

Guadalupe Elementary School 1

Posted July 19, 2012
The administration and teachers focus less on the success of the student but rather the test scores of a select few. If a student struggles the first resolution to this problem is to highlight a students potential to do better and refuse to test the child. Unfortunate as tax dollars a paid to ensure a fair education and access to be successful. Guadalupe definitely falls short. The principal is one sided and fails to provide resolutions to issues but would rather assign someone else to deal with them.

Guadalupe Elementary School 4

Posted September 01, 2011
Excellent parent involvement. Most of the teachers are great and have the students best interest in mind. Although there are a couple that will only work well with the brightest students. The new principal has many new ideas, but doesn't always seem open to input.

Guadalupe Elementary School 2

Posted September 17, 2010
Hopefully the new principal at this school will create a more egalitarian atmosphere. Some very good teachers, although quality varies--we ended up with a couple of bad apples. The parents are involved and that is part of the strength of this school. That said, among many parents, it is all about social status and teachers tend to defer to more popular parents. Many parents at the school admit (though not overtly) that there is a cliquish crowd and if you don't fit it, those parents will look right through you. Also, if your child struggles with any developmental/educational needs or if they are highly gifted, their needs will not be met. Unfortunately this school's mission feels like it's all about the Academic Performance Index.

Guadalupe Elementary School
6044 Vera Cruz Drive, San Jose, CA  95120
Last modified Guadalupe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Guadalupe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top