San Jose, CA
After care: No

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the principal of Union Middle School, I would like to thank the community members who have shared their thoughts within this forum. Union Middle School recently received a 2008 Caring School Climate Award, was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 2009 and also in 2013, was named a National Forum s School To Watch, and selected as a CalSTAT Leadership Site in 2010, 2011 & 2012. Union Middle School is also visited by hundreds of California Educators each year wanting to learn about the great things happening in our classrooms and on our campus. Additionally, our most recent API was recorded at 938, thanks to the great work of our staff, dedication of our community, and the great student scholars attending our school. If you have any questions about Union Middle School, please do not hesitate to contact me. We will be glad to answer your questions and assist you with any and all of your concerns. Go Tigers!
April 18, 2014

Posted May 19, 2015
Union Middle School is an outstanding school. It possesses outstanding teachers, has an administration beyond compare, a Principal actively engaged in making the school that maximizes its students potential, has an active home and school club, and possesses great students, engaged in their own learning, interested in their school, and ready to learn. Struggling students receive outstanding support from the teachers, assistants, staff and administration. My own child, the second to attend UMS and who has struggled with a learning disability since Pre-K, has moved from well below grade level in reading and math to at grade level in just his first year at UMS. He has gone from being afraid that he cannot keep up to knowing that he can. Finally, I have had several opportunities to discuss problems with the current principal. In each instance, I was amazed at the thoughtfulness, helpfulness and genuine concern displayed. I believe that anyone who has something to discuss concerning their child's education, school experience, interpersonal issue or any other problem, will be listened to and taken with the utmost seriousness and sincerity.
4 people found this helpful

Posted May 17, 2015
Our family has been involved with Union Middle school for six years, and we re looking forward to three more years of education there. We re so thankful for all the hard work the entire staff and Principal put into the school. The Principal makes great connections with the students and they respect and appreciate him. Our family is thankful for the positive impact UMS has had on our children s lives, we re very encouraged they like their Principal and Vice Principal. The staff is a gem and we appreciate all their hard work with the students. We see the Principal, Vice Principal, teaching and administrative staff as stellar community leaders; representing solid character while providing a very strong educational foundation for high school.
3 people found this helpful

Union Middle School 1

Posted May 09, 2015
Teachers here are very uninspiring. They aren't there to teach, they're there to supervise. Students are handed an assignment and they figure out how to complete it on their own. As for learned curriculum, students read a printed-out powerpoint or a textbook all by themselves. If they have a question that the teacher can't answer, the teacher shrugs it off and leaves the student to their own resources. Also, I'm going to specifically target the ELA Department. In 6th grade, the way students are taught to write is very rigid, structured, and it doesn't offer any room for creativity and flow. 7th grade - well, they don't teach anything remotely RELATED to English! They observe rotting french fries, party like Victorians, and create videos. But never, ever are they taught to write. And yet they are TESTED on writing skills at the end of each quarter! Overall, I'm shocked at what Union Middle School considers education. It doesn't prepare students for their future, and really, everything students do at school they could do at home, by themselves. I would be very careful if you plan on attending this school.

Posted January 25, 2015
Staff and administration really put students first. Our principal even directs traffic if necessary for their safety. Academics are taught with self-reliance, school and peer community focus. Co-curricular activities are many from drama to sports to weekly clubs covering many interests. You cannot find a better educational value!

Posted November 14, 2014
My children have attended Union Middle for all three years. I am so grateful that they were lucky enough to have Union as their middle school experience. First, Todd Feinberg, the principal, is the epitome of a great administrator. He is incredibly passionate, responsive, energetic, and truly enjoys his job and the students he is responsible for. He is completely approachable on the students' end and also for parents. His door is always open for any concerns or issues, for students and parents alike. He is constantly striving to make Union Middle the best environment possible for his students. The teachers are also incredibly passionate about teaching and are always working hard to be up to date in terms of technology available to use in the classroom, or honing their teaching skills through conferences, etc. My kids feel completely safe on campus and have often marveled at how bullying really is a non-issue at their school. Any behavior issues with students are dealt with immediately and effectively. Recently being named a California Distinguished School illustrates how well the administration and teachers are doing in terms of making this school a top school for students.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 30, 2014
I am surprised that not many parents have written reviews for this wonderful school. Our child is currently in the 7th grade and we moved into Union School District from another closeby school district so he did not know too many other students when entering 6th grade last year. The principal is very approachable, quick to respond to e-mails, wonderful staff that e-mails me back even on weekends - let's just say I was blown away when we started last year. All his teachers that he had were on the most part excellent. Looking forward to another great school year!

Posted August 13, 2014
my school is awesome, everyone i know loves it, our principle is great and all staff are helpful and really nice and amazing

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted April 18, 2014

Union Middle School 4

Posted September 16, 2013
Having never been to public school myself, I was really concerned about the learning environment and quality of education that my children would receive. Needless to say, I was very surprised and pleased! The administration, students, and teachers work very closely together. In terms of appropriate behavior, this is a no-nonsense school. Roles, responsibilities, and results are clearly explained. If a student behaves inappropriately, there are consequences . When new 6th graders go through orientation, they are paired with a WOW leader. Being the "new kid on campus" can be frightening at best. The WOW leader gives them a helping hand so the kids are not left to flounder on their own. WOW leaders are also there to help in school activities like dances. In terms of education, my kids receive both challenging advanced classes and a wide variety of electives. An area of concern for me is the disproportionate amount of "special funding" that the special ed kids get relative to the general student body. They are offered resources that are not available to the rest of the students, even though its a public school.

Posted September 11, 2013
If you are looking for a school with a strong focus on educating the whole child, then look no further than Union Middle School. Not only are the teachers and academics excellent, but the extracurricular activities offered are exceptional, as well. UMS continues to improve annually its STAR test scores and has embraced the upcoming changes in core curriculum standards and teaching. Parent involvement is high and fosters a strong partnership with the administration. The common goal is to provide the best education and resources for the students and to nurture them both academically and socially.

Union Middle School
2130 Los Gatos-Almaden Road, San Jose, CA  95124
Last modified Union Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top