San Jose, CA
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the principal of Union Middle School, I would like to thank the community members who have shared their thoughts within this forum. Union Middle School recently received a 2008 Caring School Climate Award, was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 2009 and also in 2013, was named a National Forum s School To Watch, and selected as a CalSTAT Leadership Site in 2010, 2011 & 2012. Union Middle School is also visited by hundreds of California Educators each year wanting to learn about the great things happening in our classrooms and on our campus. Additionally, our most recent API was recorded at 938, thanks to the great work of our staff, dedication of our community, and the great student scholars attending our school. If you have any questions about Union Middle School, please do not hesitate to contact me. We will be glad to answer your questions and assist you with any and all of your concerns. Go Tigers!
April 18, 2014

Posted November 14, 2014
My children have attended Union Middle for all three years. I am so grateful that they were lucky enough to have Union as their middle school experience. First, Todd Feinberg, the principal, is the epitome of a great administrator. He is incredibly passionate, responsive, energetic, and truly enjoys his job and the students he is responsible for. He is completely approachable on the students' end and also for parents. His door is always open for any concerns or issues, for students and parents alike. He is constantly striving to make Union Middle the best environment possible for his students. The teachers are also incredibly passionate about teaching and are always working hard to be up to date in terms of technology available to use in the classroom, or honing their teaching skills through conferences, etc. My kids feel completely safe on campus and have often marveled at how bullying really is a non-issue at their school. Any behavior issues with students are dealt with immediately and effectively. Recently being named a California Distinguished School illustrates how well the administration and teachers are doing in terms of making this school a top school for students.

Posted August 30, 2014
I am surprised that not many parents have written reviews for this wonderful school. Our child is currently in the 7th grade and we moved into Union School District from another closeby school district so he did not know too many other students when entering 6th grade last year. The principal is very approachable, quick to respond to e-mails, wonderful staff that e-mails me back even on weekends - let's just say I was blown away when we started last year. All his teachers that he had were on the most part excellent. Looking forward to another great school year!

Posted August 13, 2014
my school is awesome, everyone i know loves it, our principle is great and all staff are helpful and really nice and amazing

Union Middle School 4

Posted September 16, 2013
Having never been to public school myself, I was really concerned about the learning environment and quality of education that my children would receive. Needless to say, I was very surprised and pleased! The administration, students, and teachers work very closely together. In terms of appropriate behavior, this is a no-nonsense school. Roles, responsibilities, and results are clearly explained. If a student behaves inappropriately, there are consequences . When new 6th graders go through orientation, they are paired with a WOW leader. Being the "new kid on campus" can be frightening at best. The WOW leader gives them a helping hand so the kids are not left to flounder on their own. WOW leaders are also there to help in school activities like dances. In terms of education, my kids receive both challenging advanced classes and a wide variety of electives. An area of concern for me is the disproportionate amount of "special funding" that the special ed kids get relative to the general student body. They are offered resources that are not available to the rest of the students, even though its a public school.

Posted September 11, 2013
If you are looking for a school with a strong focus on educating the whole child, then look no further than Union Middle School. Not only are the teachers and academics excellent, but the extracurricular activities offered are exceptional, as well. UMS continues to improve annually its STAR test scores and has embraced the upcoming changes in core curriculum standards and teaching. Parent involvement is high and fosters a strong partnership with the administration. The common goal is to provide the best education and resources for the students and to nurture them both academically and socially.

Posted September 09, 2013
My children currently attend UMS. My biggest concern when they started middle school was 'will they feel safe?" Will they feel physically, socially and academically 'safe'? The answer at UMS is a resounding YES! From day one of 6th grade they have been made to feel that they are in a place that values them. The whole them. UMS has outstanding tests scores thanks to the amazing teachers and resources that the school provides. But there is so much more to their happiness and feelings of success than good grades. Mr. Feinberg treats every student (and parent) with respect and the kids think he is the best principal ever! They are happy to see him every day. They, and I, know that the school has a 'zero tolerance' for bullies and that they will be physically safe when they are at UMS. I could not ask for a better Middle School experience for my children. With society changing fast and children growing up younger and younger it is a relief to know my kids are in a school that is dedicated to their success: academically, socially, and physically.

Posted September 17, 2012
Union is an exceptional education community. The teachers are enthusiastic, well-trained and prepared. They work together at all levels for the benefit of the students. As a 6th grader, my daughter was supported and encouraged to challenge herself academically and socially. There are numerous opportunities to develop artistically, athletically and academically. The leadership is responsive, friendly and genuinely caring about the students. The parents are involved in mPower guidance, music and sports boosters, Art Vista education and more. I know my children will be prepared for the rigors of high school and college starting here. A better education than our previous private school.

Posted May 26, 2010
Energetic principal, hardworking and committed teachers, friendly office staff, excellent music program what more can one ask for?

Posted May 25, 2010
Awesome school! Awesome staff! Mr. Burmeister has done an outstanding job of improving the academics at this school and has really taken a hands on approach to helping the children who struggle. I have had two children go through this school and am on my third. I never worry when I drop my son off. I know he'll get the guidance and education he needs.

Union Middle School 0

Posted February 24, 2010
I love this middle school - I have a granddaughter at Union Middle - it is her first year and she is a honor student. In myn opinion this is a great school.

Union Middle School
2130 Los Gatos-Almaden Road, San Jose, CA  95124
Last modified Union Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top