PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Accomplished small diverse community experience. Curriculum has continued to improve and become more challenging to both my children. Looking forward to the proposed STEM program to be implemented.

We have only been at St. Leo a couple of months, but my 2nd grader could not be happier. Where in his previous elementary school, he was on a level 3 SST and headed toward special ed testing, he is now bringing home 100%'s on his spelling tests. Mrs. Ewell and Mrs Boitano are an absolute joy and a wonderful example for my son. The families are warm and inclusive and have made us feel right at home.

Amount of homework: Neutral

There's a lot of homework and a great tracking tool for parents but it's not used consistently by all the teachers.

We recently moved to the Rose Garden Neighborhood after having lived in Los Gatos and Saratoga since my husband and I were children. Our daughter attended elementary schools in both towns and we were quite pleased with the level of academics, however, we longed for a more "whole child" experience for out daughter. We began looking into the Catholic schools in our neighborhood and then started asking our Catholic friends from Los Gatos and Saratoga, who were very familiar with the Catholic schools in the Diocese, for recommendations. They unanimously told us that our daughter should attend St. Leo's because of it's outstanding reputation that reached beyond it's boundaries. When we toured the school, we found it to be warm and inviting. The girls in my daughter's class reached out to her before school even began and encouraged her to join the volleyball team. We are delighted at how respectful, age appropriate, and well mannered all of the children are. Overall, it was refreshing to find a demeanor of innocence in these middle schoolers. My daughter has been the beneficiary of the "whole child" approach and it has grown her in ways that could not have happened at the other schools. She especially loves that faith, confidence and leadership are three of the elements that are encouraged. This year (8th grade) she has chosen coding as her elective. St. Leo's is a breath of fresh air and it is a humble yet academically challenging school. It has a diverse population and grants a healthy number of scholarships to deserving families. It is a school that community minded parents and Silicon Valley leaders are enthusiastically drawn to. Of the graduating class of 2015, 100% of St. Leo's 8th grade students were accepted into the private high schools of their choice. It's a very exciting time at the school. The principal, Mrs. Cosentino, is an outstanding visionary. She is passionate about children and works tirelessly to make St. Leo's the best it can be. A STEM lab will be making it's debut soon, the first school in the Diocese to get one, and leading edge technology solutions is a high priority with this administration. My only complaint is that we don't have more years to enjoy this wonderful school. we will continue supporting St. Leo's as alumni for many years to come. We whole heartedly recommend St. Leo the Great School.

What a relief to find a warm & welcoming community like St. Leo's! We grew up in the Midwest with parents for public school teachers, so we really wanted to try to make the public schools here work, but too many horror stories from our neighborhood parents meant it had to be private for us. We visited numerous schools (eight in all), but none compared to St. Leo s. My son just started the Pre-K and in the short amount of time he has been there we have already seen a huge growth in his language development, socialization & overall knowledge. Yes, the uniforms and rules can be a little overwhelming at first, but everything is there for a reason & the staff is so helpful to new parents starting out. Plus, the community of involved parents is second to none- unlike other places where volunteering is a chore you really feel like people WANT to be there. We are so happy we made the decision to go to St. Leo's & look forward to many more years of learning & growing in this exceptional community.

Why is the teacher review full of incomplete sentences? Quality of teaching...learning by example....My experience as a divorced parent that did not chose this school is one of shutting out. Previous teachers were never contacted. Teachers were not co-operative in helping my child get help. (3 D's and an F and "he's doing fine" per the administration and teachers) My child was held back a grade, never before a problem. But the teachers were unaware my child was repeating the grade they were teaching. I have learned to lower my expectations. When I asked for financial aid I was given outdated paperwork, kind of like the school. Has anyone of significance ever graduated from there? Belt checks, rote memorization of prayers without meaning (pretty funny when my child could say the school prayer in Spanish, but only knew the sounds and couldn't differentiate one word from another). Save your money and go public! Just be involved. Don't be a fake!

St. Leo's is an excellent school because of its diverse community, brilliant education system and understanding staff. This co-ed school not educates it's students but fully engulfs them in an exciting life as a young Catholic. It's diverse community provides excellent preparation for highschool and beyond. Last but not least St. Leo's understanding and compassionate staff is willing to help any struggling student to make a better world.

This is a great school in our San Jose community! I have had two daughters attend and graduate from St. Leo's who are more than wonderful students academically and socially. I have found the staff and administration staff extremely friendly over the years, helpful, and always make the children priority.

St Leo the Great School is undergoing a transformation. The "new" principal has been there several years and the school has embraced technology better than most of the other schools we've visited. Gone is the computer lab on the 2nd floor, and now kids have access to their computers in their classroom. Kindergarten has tablets where they learn their small motor skills. Elementary kids all have Google Chrome Books and parents can have access to all their work and grades online from the web. The middle school kids are actually issued laptop bags and take them from class to class. There are 4 main buildings. The Parish. The gym, which was recently remodeled. The main school, which is getting new windows and maybe even AC. The school is a 2 story building with the lower grades downstairs and 4th-8th upstairs. The 4th building is the old convent at the corner of the lot. It is used as a math room (chapel), the science lab (upstairs bedrooms) and the extended after school care and homework club (patio and kitchen). PreK-8th 270 students $7.5k Tuition

I had two of my girls go to St Leos for 9 years each. I love the fact that the girls went from year to year with the same group of kids. They were like an extended family. Both girls had their pick of any of the high schools they wanted to attend. If you want a small group, family type education for your child, this is the school.

Last modified St. Leo the Great Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8