San Jose, CA

Posted September 18, 2013
What a relief to find a warm & welcoming community like St. Leo's! We grew up in the Midwest with parents for public school teachers, so we really wanted to try to make the public schools here work, but too many horror stories from our neighborhood parents meant it had to be private for us. We visited numerous schools (eight in all), but none compared to St. Leo s. My son just started the Pre-K and in the short amount of time he has been there we have already seen a huge growth in his language development, socialization & overall knowledge. Yes, the uniforms and rules can be a little overwhelming at first, but everything is there for a reason & the staff is so helpful to new parents starting out. Plus, the community of involved parents is second to none- unlike other places where volunteering is a chore you really feel like people WANT to be there. We are so happy we made the decision to go to St. Leo's & look forward to many more years of learning & growing in this exceptional community.

St. Leo the Great School 1

Posted May 09, 2013
Why is the teacher review full of incomplete sentences? Quality of teaching...learning by example....My experience as a divorced parent that did not chose this school is one of shutting out. Previous teachers were never contacted. Teachers were not co-operative in helping my child get help. (3 D's and an F and "he's doing fine" per the administration and teachers) My child was held back a grade, never before a problem. But the teachers were unaware my child was repeating the grade they were teaching. I have learned to lower my expectations. When I asked for financial aid I was given outdated paperwork, kind of like the school. Has anyone of significance ever graduated from there? Belt checks, rote memorization of prayers without meaning (pretty funny when my child could say the school prayer in Spanish, but only knew the sounds and couldn't differentiate one word from another). Save your money and go public! Just be involved. Don't be a fake!

Posted February 11, 2013
St. Leo's is an excellent school because of its diverse community, brilliant education system and understanding staff. This co-ed school not educates it's students but fully engulfs them in an exciting life as a young Catholic. It's diverse community provides excellent preparation for highschool and beyond. Last but not least St. Leo's understanding and compassionate staff is willing to help any struggling student to make a better world.

Posted February 09, 2013
This is a great school in our San Jose community! I have had two daughters attend and graduate from St. Leo's who are more than wonderful students academically and socially. I have found the staff and administration staff extremely friendly over the years, helpful, and always make the children priority.

Posted February 09, 2013
St Leo the Great School is undergoing a transformation. The "new" principal has been there several years and the school has embraced technology better than most of the other schools we've visited. Gone is the computer lab on the 2nd floor, and now kids have access to their computers in their classroom. Kindergarten has tablets where they learn their small motor skills. Elementary kids all have Google Chrome Books and parents can have access to all their work and grades online from the web. The middle school kids are actually issued laptop bags and take them from class to class. There are 4 main buildings. The Parish. The gym, which was recently remodeled. The main school, which is getting new windows and maybe even AC. The school is a 2 story building with the lower grades downstairs and 4th-8th upstairs. The 4th building is the old convent at the corner of the lot. It is used as a math room (chapel), the science lab (upstairs bedrooms) and the extended after school care and homework club (patio and kitchen). PreK-8th 270 students $7.5k Tuition

Posted February 09, 2013
I had two of my girls go to St Leos for 9 years each. I love the fact that the girls went from year to year with the same group of kids. They were like an extended family. Both girls had their pick of any of the high schools they wanted to attend. If you want a small group, family type education for your child, this is the school.

Posted September 30, 2012
We are happy to be at St Leos! The families were very welcoming. The teachers are wonderful role models. They are unique because they have more male teachers than any of the other schools we looked at (4th grade, 6th grade, science, 2 math, athletic director, IT tech guy and a vice principal who also teaches). Mrs Moody gives a solid Catholic religious footing. The principal Marie Bordeleau isn't a control freak. She hires top notch staff, works hard to support them and is quick to get rid of under performers. She communicates with parents twice a week in her newsletters. The school uses 1:1 Google Chromebooks and has an amazing technology program that has kids using the latest tech tools to pull together their projects. Your kid can login from home and have access to all his classwork. Group collaboration work is the norm. Lindsay Hilliard is the Spanish teacher who also coordinates one of the best after school enrichment programs: chess, writing, theatre, odyssey of the mind, robotics, etc. The kids are very active. On watching how the kids interact they are very kind to one another and polite to parents. The student body is diverse and reflects Silicon Valley.

Posted November 16, 2011
I am so proud to be part of the St. Leo Community - it provides an incredible education with high standards and well develop technology program, and holds students to high behavioral expectations. I joined the school community in 2009 and have never regretted it. . . .the students, families and teachers are welcoming, dedicated, talented, and make each other better people. It is so great to see a wide variety of opportunities for the kids - from sports to band, drama, art, creative writing and so much more . . .the school is warm, welcoming, well organized, maintains high standards and prepares the kids for high school. It is just amazing!

Posted June 12, 2011
We have been at St. Leo's for 3 years. We came in during the administration change and we have been quite happy with the new administration. The principal is youthful, innovative, and is always thinking of the "big picture" for the school community. She has helped create a wonderful foundation for the school. Some families have had difficulty with some of the changes, as the status quo has been disrupted, but the changes are positive ones. The school has finally started utilizing technology in the way it is meant to be used, which has been so helpful to the children for learning purposes. The new website and communication via web with parents and students is fantastic. The only thing that we struggle with is that the Church itself is a little more on the conservative side than most other Catholic churches in the area.

Posted September 07, 2010
We love St Leo the Great! The new administration has created such a wonderful foundation for the school. There have been many changes in the last two years, all for the best. The school has really jumped into the 21st century with the computers in the class rooms, the Environmental education, the Science lab, Spanish twice a week and so much more. Also the communication to parents and students with the website, emails from principal and newsletters to keep us all in the loop. We love the community traditions and overall family feeling. I can't imaging sending my kids any where else, they love it even more that I do.

St. Leo the Great School
1051 West San Fernando Street, San Jose, CA  95126
Last modified St. Leo the Great School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Leo the Great School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top