Primary Plus Elementary School

Private | K-8

Living in San Jose

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $516,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,410.

Sweep tile

Posted November 23, 2004

I have heard nothing but good things about the Primary Plus Elementary program. Our daughter has been in the infant/preschool program since she was 4 months old and we plan on enrolling her for Kindergarten. The program is academically challenging but at the same time gives the children valuable social skills. I am confident that she will succeed next year and on through 8th grade with them! The onsite dance classes and annual recital performance is fantastic, too!

Posted October 26, 2004

Our child has ADHD, SIDS and dyslexia. We wanted a familiy oriented school that would be understanding of our son's special needs. Mrs. Rodriguez, the new principal, as well as other individuals met our son, reviewed available documentation and felt that Primary Plus would provide a positive, healthy experience for our son. Academically, Primary Plus SAT test scores are in the 80% - 90%+ range. Mrs. Rodriquez made it feasible for our son to get the afterschool tutoring he needs. He loves his tutor. He is making new friends, having fun, and most importantly, we've cut his meds by 60%. His summer school teachers, his current teacher, and tutor are great. They make themselves available to me for updates on his academics, behavior, attention, transitions and other matters we need to monitor. We appreciate the monthly Parents Night Out and the year-round school/day care coverage. They also offer healthy, affordable lunches.

Posted October 19, 2004

This school is a wonderful blend of academic and enrichment activities for children. I am very pleased with the academic offerings at the school and greatly appreciate the extra enrichment possibilites in the dance and sports. I highly recommend the total program.

Posted October 19, 2004

My child has been at Primary Plus for 6 years, having started as an infant. I am delighted with the progress that he has made. He is a good student, but more important than that he is truly interested in learning. He is open to new ideas and has learned to think of alternatives to problems. We feel that the skills he has learned at this program will add to his success in future education.

Posted October 19, 2004

My daughter attends Primary Plus for their full day program. Our family is pleased with her academic development and thrilled that she is able to take part in valuable enrichment activities as a part of her total school experience. She is enrolled in dance, a computer class and is a member of a sports team all as part of her school day. We feel that these activities will lead to her future development. We find the staff to be warm and caring.

Posted October 18, 2004

My son has entered his 5th year at Primary Plus and I feel he has an excellent foundation and is far exceeding the level of education he would have received from the public system. He not only has a strong grasp of academic basics but he has also acheived excellent social skills. Through the use of projects and verbal reports he has developed strong leadership abilities. The school is staffed with teachers who genuinely care about the children and provide a well rounded program. The staff always keep the parents informed on a formal and informal basis regarding their childrens progress. My son enjoys school!

Posted August 16, 2004

There are quite a few teachers that have been here for 10+ years. Most extracurricular activities have a high charge, however, they all funnel into an end of the year dance held at the Center of Performing Arts which is an activity the kids/school look forward to. The kids are well looked after and the smaller class size (~22) offer the individual attention hoped for in the public schools. The downside of this is that at times the kids are 'coddled' and may have difficulty in adapting to a public school. In regards to a 'PTA' type of organization, it is as normal...a few parents doing the majority of the volunteering for the good of the kids/school.

Posted April 26, 2004

This isn't what I consider one of those 'intense college prep gradeschools'. We didn't want that for our kids. This school does very well in national testing rankings, and more importantly, our girls are learning at a good rate. Plus they're happy there. We are very pleased and sometimes amazed with the progress they've made. Most notably in reading and math. Overall we are happy with the teachers. Our girls wouldn't be going there if the classroom environment wasn't notably better than what we found at the public schools. The kids learn a healthy respect for the adults and other kids there. And there are lots of activities.

Posted April 15, 2004

I must disagree with the other evaluations. If they are so terrible why would 1 mother have all 3 of her children in the school and a total cost in exxcess of 30K a yr. My son has done extremely well in the school. I had some concerns however I feel the teachers have been quite helpful in showing him his potential. While I don't always agree with their ways of handling behavior problems. They do. They impress respect which now a days no kid has enough of.

Posted February 10, 2004

I have three children currently enrolled. My oldest has had some very good teachers but needed some help with math. We had to hire a tutor to correct the problems that she had learned. My son is struggling and we've had to hire a tutor. He is progressing but it is uncertain if he will pass. I think that math basics need to be focused on more and while class size is small, my kids still have developed bad habits that I don't think they should have. The teachers care and are good teachers but they don't focus on the basics like adding, subtracting, multiplication, division, and how to correctly write letters and numbers.

Posted November 13, 2003

Teachers and principal could care less about the child that doesn't fit into the 'box'. There is a 'turn and look the other way' policy at this school. Teachers have been caught subjecting students to their opinions and bad temperaments. Not worth the money you spend.

Posted November 13, 2003

American Indian/Alaska Native 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab