No rating

Almaden Country School

Private | K-8 | 406 students

Living in San Jose

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $823,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted February 10, 2012

I went to visit this school, but apparently if you have an accent they say, "There is no room at this school for YOUR child". They refuse to even let us visit the school even though we are looking for admission for later. Questions they ask try to probe how much money you make: "Where do you take your kids on vacation, etc."

Posted January 2, 2012

My son attended a different pre-school last year. Each morning he would ask if he had school. If he heard "yes," he would moan woefully and drag himself out of bed. This same kid now pops out of bed in the morning, and is consistently VERY excited to be going to class. That includes today after a not so good nights sleep. Thanks goes to his fabulous teachers. My daughter has a love of learning that is joyful to watch. She LOVES to read and grabs books off of shelves. She enjoys math and talks highly of the fun she has in class solving problems. Tonight, she ate her dinner quickly so she could read me a book. As she read it, she was laughing at the story and picking up the humor and nuance of the characters and situations. Her love of learning is the product of the ACS teachers who have touched her life these past three years. There are jobs, professions and callings. When I see how excited my kids are to attend ACS, interact with parents and students who are thrilled to be with ACS, get to see the dedication of the staff, I know my kids, and all the students of ACS, are lucky enough to be surrounded by people answering their calling. That is awesome and inspiring.

Posted September 14, 2011

Our 5th grade and 2nd grade daughters are in their 4th year at ACS and every day they go to school happy then come home happy. Maybe it's the unique experiences they have in drama, science, French, music, art or PE. Maybe it is because their teachers are warm, loving and highly motivating. Or, even though excelling is the norm, they and their friends feel safe, free to be young, curious and joyful each day. We feel fortunate to be a part of a community at ACS where all of these reasons are a reality for our girls. They are part of a community of diverse individuals who are respectful, creative, collaborative and effective members. The same qualities are found in the families at ACS, so with that, we are all happy at the end of the day. Would highly recommend ACS.

Posted July 30, 2011

My boys are entering the ACS middle school now but have been attending since they were in the preschool program. I am extremely pleased with the school's approach to academics. Although plenty rigorous, the children are learning how to learn (not just study to the test) and doing so with enthusiasm. It is also core to the school's philosophy to nurture the children's emotional and social development. The community is diverse but made up of like-minded families that appreciates letting children be children for as long as they can, especially in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Silicon Valley. Finally, it is the accomplished, poised and eager graduates that signaled to my husband and I that this place was one that we wanted our children to grow in.

Posted July 21, 2011

Our daughter just finished her first year in Kindergarten at Almaden Country School and we couldn't have had a better year. We chose ACS for the small class sizes, enrichment programs, and qualified staff, but we ended up with so much more. ACS is a school that feels like home away from home. Her teacher was nurturing, creative beyond belief, and had exceptional communication with the parents. It is important to note that the kinder teachers were unified as a grade level and clearly work well together as a team. This is a fantastic quality and shows the strength of the staff. With strong academics, wonderful enrichment programs, a warm and caring staff, and the emphasis on character building among students that permeates the campus, we feel beyond blessed to be at this school. We cannot recommend ACS highly enough and plan on sending all three of our children here.

Posted July 2, 2011

Our son is a recent graduate of Almaden Country School and we were very sad to see his 8th grade year come to an end. ACS provided our son with so many amazing experiences and opportunities. The relationships he built with peers and teachers will be lasting and are only some of the many gifts he was fortunate to receive at this amazing school. ACS provides an unparalleled environment for learning and an equally unparalleled staff of passionate and caring teachers that make learning interesting and exciting. ACS is a family of caring individuals who together provide a unique, refreshing, and memorable experience for every student.

Posted July 1, 2011

We have two boys in ACS, entering 5th and 2nd grade. They have been with ACS from Kindergarten. When our oldest son was still in diapers we intentionally moved to a neighborhood that had great public elementary schools. However, when it came time to choose an elementary school, we looked at both our public school system and all of the local private schools. Almaden Country School really stood out amongst some great choices. People ask me why ACS? Its two things, ACS is what well-rounded education should be. Arts, music, drama, science, foreign language and PE coupled with the three R s , all taught by very passionate and uniquely qualified teachers. Secondly, ACS teaches the children to be great human beings. They learn team work by building robots together and other projects. They learn community and a sense of tradition by school outings that promote working together to create something larger than the one child alone. I have also found that this strong community of parents and teachers sometimes helps you in turn to be a better parent as well. ACS is a great school and a great community, would definitely recommend.

Posted June 3, 2011

both of my older children went here - and it was the foundation for a great educaction for them - both academically and socially. My daughter went from there to Presentation high and then UC Berkeley, my son went from there to Bellarmine...both talk to this day fondly of their days at ACS: their friends, the teachers, and the classes. We have recommended it to many....

Posted April 8, 2011

Love this school. The teachers are the best around. Children learn when they like school, feel safe and confident. Almaden Country provides that and more. Children are taught to think in a critical fashion rather than memorizing facts and we need critical thinkers! The students that graduate from this school are accepted to all the top high schools. That says something.

Posted March 28, 2011

We have both of our children enrolled at Almaden Country School and we couldn't be happier. We picked Almaden because we believe children need to be in an environment that focuses on the whole child, not just on reading and math or teaching to the test. Almaden focuses on a love of learning that is geared specifically to each child's type of intelligence. We love this school!

Posted March 11, 2011

As a preschool teacher in a progressive program, choosing an elementary school for my own son was an adventure! From the beginning, every interaction I have had with the administration at ACS has been extremely positive and supportive. We are now 2/3 of the way through our first year here at ACS (my son is in K), and he has loved his experience here so far, blossoming both socially and academically. When I had initially investigated ACS, I was curious as to the practical implementation of supporting each child's unique gifts in the elementary classroom. I have seen amazing work on the part of my son's teacher to accomplish this, and have seen my son supported and encouraged, in a developmentally appropriate way. On a particular piece of work, the children were asked to choose their level of challenge. I was so pleased to hear/see how the children are involved in the process of learning, not simply viewed as pails to be filled. I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making this learning meaningful, engaging and inspiring for the children. This is the kind of school experience that teaches lessons greater than those contained in workbooks.

Posted February 27, 2011

Report it We have two daughters at Almaden Country School (Begindergarten + 2nd grade) and we are constantly impressed by every aspect of the school. From the strong academics to the incredible enrichment programs, this school offers a warm, caring environment where kids get to be kids. The teachers are passionate, the parents involved and the kids thriving; what more could a parent want?

Posted February 13, 2011

Excellence! Child centered. Respect for all. Strong Family Community. Focuses on the whole person. Supportive teachers and administration. Hands on work, group discussions, rigorous academics, and makes learning fun.

Posted February 11, 2011

We are extremely happy to have found Almaden Country School for our two children. We love that they get Art, PE, Foreign Language, Music, Science and Drama included in their weekly class schedule - all taught by specialist teachers. We love that the class sizes are small and that our children recieve the attention they need and deserve. We love the wonderful sense of community on campus where parents, teachers and administrators all know my children by name and always have a story to share with me about them. We love that the Middle School children are SO polite and courteous to the younger kids in the school as well as to the parents around campus. It speaks volume to the character building that ACS strives so hard to instill in them. ACS is not an overly rigorous academic only school - and is therefore not for everyone. But for us, we wanted our children to enjoy childhood, and to enjoy the process of learning how to learn. We believe this will prepare them for their future to a much greater extent than being pushed to excel beyond their grade and maturity level. So for us, its the perfect place for our kids.

Posted August 5, 2010

All three of my children attended ACS. My oldest daughter recently graduated and unfortunately, we moved out of the area. With school starting again in our new town, the thing I miss the most is ACS - the sure knowledge that my children are safe, that they are loved by their teachers and ALL of the staff and they truly enjoyed learning.

Posted March 22, 2010

My wife and I sent our 4 children from pre-K through 8th grade. We thoroughly looked at several schools in the South Bay and we were taken in by the family at ACS. Our children were very well prepared and are now attending the finest high schools and universities

Posted March 19, 2010

Wonderful! My son went from hating preschool to loving school and learning! The love of learning is a lifetime gift that ACS does very well!

Posted December 14, 2009

As my child prepares for high school, I'm sad she has to move on, but excited for her because I know she is ready and well prepared. She will be moving on from a school family that really cared about her - challenged her, supported her, expected a lot from her, and loved her. Can you ask more from a school than it successful educate your child and instill a love of learning that will hopefully last a lifetime? ACS offers a rich academic program that includes enrichments such as music, drama, art, PE, languages, and science. Their philosophy is developmental - which means rote learning is not the norm. The learning is deeper and the pace is geared towards the way children learn vs the way public schools are forced to educate. The result is an amazing group of 8th graders who are ready for the challenges ahead.

Posted November 30, 2009

Almaden Country School is warm and welcoming. The teachers are nurturing, open- minded and enthusiastic, which reflects in the classroom. My daughter started ACS in 5th grade and the transition was phenomenal. She had no problem making new friends and she adjusted right away. Having two classes in each grade is important because it gives the child more friend options. Yet, the school is small enough to be personal and offer individual attention. The curriculum is creative. There are lots of projects, hands on experiments, a great science lab, drama & music. It is an all around enriching experience

Posted July 27, 2009

My daughter will be returning to ACS as a kindergartner and we were thrilled to have her attend JR-K this past year. She thrived in the small environment and the JR-K teacher, Mrs. Semichy, knew each student's unique needs and some of the best ways to handle them. In addition, all of the parents were very involved throughout the year and became a tight-knit community. I look forward to seeing my children continue to develop as individuals in this warm and nurturing community.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • "Demonstration School" for Legacy Foundation's High Performance Schools program
  • Accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:00 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • High parent involvement: almaden country school recognizes the most important aspect of a child's education - parental involvement. the school has a very active parent service auxiliary (psa). the mission of the psa is to build a sense of community for the parents and children of almaden country school through financial support, professional resources and social activities.
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council