San Jose, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 16, 2014
Almaden Country School is a magical safe place where kids get be kids. They become organized, thoughtful, and caring people ready to go out and make a difference in the world. My high school freshman was well prepared by ACS middle school and feels confident in himself both socially and academically. Taking on new challenges is easier with the foundation that he built at Almaden Country School under the guidance of the wonderful teachers and administration.

Posted August 17, 2014
After moving from a Midwestern city with friends & family nearby, we were looking for a school with a sense of community. Almaden Country School is an exceptional learning community which prepares students to be responsible & engaged citizens. The school fosters critical thinking, respect and mentoring as evident in a school-wide big buddy program where older students are paired with younger students. Even though our oldest graduated after 9 years at ACS he has fond memories of this program & still visits his little buddies. The ACS faculty and administration consider parents as partners in the development and character building so important in these early formative years. The teachers are passionate educators who truly love to teach. Opinions matter, whether you re a parent or a student. When my son wanted to start a club, he had the latitude to do so. We re also continuously impressed with the academic curriculum and experiential aspect of both core and elective classes, as well as field trips and weeklong Middle School trips. In the last few years, ACS Athletics has developed into an excellent program. It s a great pre-cursor to high school athletic competition.

Posted April 08, 2014
With 4 children and through a span of 18 years, Almaden Country School has truly been able to find the gift in each one of our children. It amazes me how the community has been able to balance investing in new teaching techniques and harvesting the benefits of its core strengths. Always a strong Visual and Performing Arts school, I am really excited about how ACS is encouraging creativity in the science, math and tech fields through App Fairs, a Makers elective in addition to what goes on everyday in the classroom.

Posted April 01, 2014
This is the best school in the world. I am a seventh grader right now and everyone is super nice and kind. There is no discrimination and I love the teachers so much. The electives are wonderful and the teachers are very caring towards the students!

Posted March 01, 2014
My wife and I looked at many different schools for our son, not sure if we would find the right fit or even if we should pursue public or private. There are too few times in life where there s a single right decision, but we knew when we met the people and students of Almaden Country School that this was exactly the right place. Many schools could use similar language about developing the unique talents in each student and fostering a love of learning but ACS makes that real. We love ACS. We love the strength of the academics balanced with the focus on developing confident, flexible, curious, engaged individuals who think outside themselves. We love the tradition of each grade putting on a play each year. We ve found friends with similar values in the other parents, while also appreciating a vibrant culture with a good exchange of ideas that leads to a constantly improving ACS. The teachers are absolutely dedicated to the kids and constantly becoming better at what they do. Simply, we re really happy. Our son is, too.

Posted February 22, 2014
We are so happy we sent our children to Almaden Country School. Both of our children started their ACS years in preschool and graduated from eighth grade. ACS provided an educational experience that challenged and supported our two very different children, meeting their individual needs every step of the way. The curriculum is excellent and our children were well prepared for the private high schools they are now attending. The enrichment programs like drama and the middle school electives helped them develop their confidence, creativity and knowledge of the world. Our years at Almaden Country School were filled with learning and laughter. ACS has left an impression on both the mind and the heart.

Posted February 19, 2014
I have been part of the Almaden Country School community for over 2 years. I could not be more pleased with the teachers' dedication (and preparation), the administration's responsiveness, the student-teacher ratio, and the school's overall philosophy. The parents are friendly, supportive, and caring. When I joined the school, I immediately felt like a welcome member of the community. I especially like the school-wide events; they are relevant, inclusive, and help bring the school together. When I am in the classrooms, I notice that the children are eager, articulate, and clearly enjoy learning. One of the aspects I appreciate most about the Almaden is that the administration is forward-thinking (Ole's written pieces in the local media are thought provoking) and child-centered. One can tell just by talking with them that they truly care about the students and their development. I am so happy that our family joined ACS. It is an amazing school.

Posted February 17, 2014
I am a parent of an Almaden Country School (ACS) alumnus that began at in the 4-year old program and attended through Middle School. My daughter was accepted into her first choice West Catholic high school, recently graduated with honors from a prestigious university, captained a Division I sports team and is now a supervisor in Europe for Tesla Motors. She is confident, self-aware, empathetic and hard working. I firmly believe ACS provided a critical foundation for her and many of her classmates who are on a similarly successful trajectory. Test scores are important and ACS students do extremely well on standardized tests. But as we know well, the workplace of the 21st century will be characterized by constant change. It is impossible to know what technical skills will be the most valuable. In preparing the children, ACS focuses on the key ingredients for a successful knowledge worker in an ever changing environment: teamwork, creativity, ethics, resilience, curiosity and time management. ACS is a unique school that places the child at the center of every important decision. The culture encourages family involvement in a strong, caring community of learners.

Posted January 07, 2014
Almaden Country School has surpassed all our expectations. When we relocated our family from the UK, we researched many schools. Almaden Country School matched the educational standards and environment we were looking for. We wanted a soft landing for our children then aged 13 and 11, who were leaving a school they had attended since age 5. Traditional subjects are coupled with electives such as speech & debate, issues and choices, community service and musical drama. The teaching staff are diverse, approachable and very positive. My son graduated with many friends and is well equipped for Bellarmine and my daughter continues to thrive with a passion for both science and the arts. This school develops individuals who are confident and challenged, ready for the future.

Posted November 08, 2013
Of course we feel that Almaden Country School is an amazing school for our children. We have been at ACS for nine years now. The community is welcoming and provides a nurturing environment where the students and faculty thrive. But you can't help and wonder if it is it enough. Are our children learning the skills they need to get into a great high school of their choice? Once there, are they able to keep up with their peers? After recently attending open houses at St Francis HS and Presentation HS, the answers were apparent. Almaden Country School graduates have a presence. They are not only attending these top high schools; they are leaders there. It was reassuring to speak with the ACS alum at both schools. They continue to thrive with confidence and ease. It is not a coincidence that these great kids are doing so well, especially when they refer to their ACS experience as a contributing factor to their success. I could go on and on about the fabulous programs at ACS which have truly enriched our children, but there is great comfort knowing that ACS is preparing them for their long educational journey which lies ahead of them!

Almaden Country School