Jserra Catholic High School

Private | 9-12 | 1050 students

Living in San Juan...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $375,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,030.

Sweep tile

Posted February 5, 2014

Jserra has a program called the student education resource program (SERP). Each student who qualifies for this program can receive extra time and a quiet environment for test taking. Additionally, a student has the opportunity to have one period per day to review missing assignments and receive extra assistance. What distinguishes jserra from other high schools in this area is that they offer intensive academic therapies for remediation. Jserra offers a specialized curriculum while,still meeting the requirements for many Universities.

Posted July 5, 2013

Two of my children graduated from Jserra and I can not say enough wonderful things about it! The AP classes were taught by teachers who truly cared about each students AP exam. They stayed late at night leading study groups and preparing them, it was really amazing. The AP Euro teacher was so superb, I think almost everyone received a four or five on the exam. All the other teachers were equally caring and compassionate. The student body and parents are a community with different talents, temperaments and convictions. Both of my kids had amazing friends! The school really attracts kind people. I know my two older kids would never both be at top 20 universities if it were not for Jserra.

Posted December 27, 2012

I have one graduate from this school, and two children currently attending JSerra. I knew when I attended back-to-school night for my oldest 6 years ago, that she would get a good education because the teachers seemed enthusiastic and caring. My instincts were correct. Just like life, no school is perfect but my children have received great academic and value-oriented educations. Teachers are very caring and responsive to parents and children's needs.

Posted September 30, 2012

Tons of people are saying that JSerra inflates their grades. I must be stupid then, if I'm failing Geometry. At any rate, the teachers here actually care about their students, unlike a few *other* schools I could mention. I'm not naming names, but most schools out there don't really care. Okay, sure, it's ridiculously expensive and hard times are going on, but it's so completely worth it. Some people just like to hate on schools for no reason, and I really can't understand it. I'm a freshman, and I've only been at JSerra for a few months, but the teachers have already began to help me shape who I am. JSerra is a wonderful school regardless of what others choose to say about it. And for the record, if they were inflating grades, I would have an A+ in every subject, which, sadly, I do not. So, there. JSerra is amazing.

Posted May 3, 2012

I am currently a sophomore at JSerra Catholic High School, and it has been the greatest blessing of my life. It is the best school for a faithful Catholic who prefers a rigorous set of courses, a great athletic program and spiritual guidance. The priests here are the best of the best, and are amazing teachers (I'm upset that they won't be teaching next year, but very happy that they'll still offer spiritual guidance). The rest of the teaching staff is amazing as well, and they thoroughly comprehend their subjects and give great aid. This is a school that I want to get up in the morning to go to, because it's really an all-in-one package with great athletics, rigorous academics, spiritual guidance, and a friendly environment. It's not the school for everybody, but it's the perfect school for a person like me. I have only benefitted from going here, and the only disadvantage is the heavy price tag, but the school does offer plenty of financial aid. I love JSerra! I'd send my kids here.

Posted November 5, 2011

The grade inflation here is insane. I was a former student at JSerra, but I now attend Aliso Niguel in the Capistrano Unified District. JSerra's curriculum, rigor, and academics are much easier compared to my current classes at public school. My public school courses go much more in depth, and tests are weighed much more heavily, especially in mathematics. While I JSerra, I easily maintained a 4.0+, however, since transferring to Aliso, my GPA has dropped significantly. They keep the parents happy by inflating grades and handing out easy A's, and the teachers and students at the school are all aware of this. JSerra graduates, for the most part, attend expensive private colleges like the mother below stated.

Posted July 17, 2011

For students who choose to take the challenge of AP classes, the academics are rigorous but if you're not in the honors/AP classes it is difficult to fail at this school. On parent review accuses the school of giving easy grades which is untrue. We've had our children attending the local public high schools as well as this school and they are no different. Like most schools we've come across in the US, grades are given in the 'normal' classroom more on homework and attendance. You can fail your tests and still pass a class. It is not this school - it is the US education system. This school has many dedicated teachers and an excellent counseling /administrative staff who care about their students and go the extra mile to make sure students needs are being met. You only need to ask! The school also stresses the importance of community and helping others. They strive to help provide financial aid to those students interested in attending who may not have the means. We have been very pleased with this school compared to the local public high schools are others attended.

Posted June 26, 2011

This school has very weak academics. Many teachers are not highly educated in their fields, and it shows in the watered down curriculum. But, they keep the parents happy by handing out easy A's. The sad thing is they are shortchanging students who will not be able to make it in an academically challenging university. Maybe that's why lots of J. Serra grads go on the overpriced, private schools with no serious academic reputations.

Posted January 2, 2011

Wonderful school with great teachers and great standards. A credit to our community and the teaching profession.

Posted April 7, 2010

Bad, doesn't respect diversity and is fundamentalist with harsh discipline standards yet does nothing to protect those who are vulnerable for example special needs students wha are harrassed

Posted February 25, 2010

Two words: grade inflation. How can half of the student body have over a 4.0 GPA? Utterly ridiculous. After transferring my son to a nearby public high school, he found it to be much more rigorous and challenging than the curriculum JSerra had to offer. Waste of money, not worth the big bucks!

Posted November 5, 2009

JSerra is a fantastic school...I had teachers that left at 8pm and were at school the next morning at 5am. All so that we could come to her if we had any problems. The teachers are amazing and people care. I have two families, one being JSerra

Posted August 23, 2009

J Serra has a beautiful campus, amazing food, and outstanding accademics but the best part is the environment

Posted August 20, 2009

This school offers an abundance of extra-curricular activities and sports for its' students. Compared to other nearby high schools however, the cost is much higher than most mainly due to the school being so new and the superb facilities that have been built. As mentioned by another parent, it is located in a rich, well-to-do area of Orange County and although many of the students families many fall into this category, many others do not. The additional fees and constant fundraising wears on those who are unable to pull together more funds to support the school. Additionally although the school 'offers' a large number of AP classes, in reality they are not available. Despite the huge tuition fees, the school will not run any class with less than 10 students. AP classes get dropped as do many honors level classes. On a positive note, most of the teachers are wonderful.

Posted February 6, 2009

This school is amazing. No joke. We had to move out of state and my daughter misses it so much I can't even begin to tell you! The teachers are amazing with their own unique personalities challenging the students to exceed beyond their expectations. It is the right amount of hardness. The school is always updating you on everything - with aeries, with school newsletters, with their automatic phone calls - the parent is never left out. The school has a wide selection of sports (basically every sport you can imagine - from laccrosse to the surf team, which my daughter was on). They also have a wide variety of clubs. The only thing that I would be concerned about, is that its in the heart of Orange County, many rich people=many snobby kids, unfortunatley. My daughter misses JSerra.

Posted December 12, 2008

Jserra is a great school! I am so glad I sent my daughter there.

Posted November 7, 2008

JSerra is an exceptional high school. Class sizes are low and parental involvement is high. Teachers are caring and committed to their students, and make themselves available outside of class as needed by parents and students & return emails promptly. JSerra offers a wide variety of AP and honors classes, extra-curricular activities and superb sports facilities!

Posted September 8, 2008

JSerra Catholic School has been a great school for our son . The whole JSerra atmosphere is fantastic from the teachers, to the administration to the other students- What a great environment to learn and grow as an individual. We made a great choice in sending our son to J Serra!

Posted February 11, 2008

JSerra was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was in the second graduating class and graduated in the top 25%. JSerra has helped me become a better scholar, Catholic, and all around better person. By attending this High School, I was given the opportunity to build lasting relationships. Attending JSerra is definatly the best decision I have ever made.

Posted August 2, 2007

JSerra is a great place to go to school. The curriculum is challenging but teachers are always there to give you extra help. I love that the school offers something for everyone. If there's a club you wish was on campus but currently isn't, you can create it! It's a great feeling to have the opportunity to really make a difference at your school.

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (949) 493-9308

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Orange