No rating

Mission Basilica School

Private | K-8 | 233 students

We are best known for traditions and academics.

Living in San Juan...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $375,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,030.

Posted June 9, 2014

This is a wonderful little school. The environment is warm, loving, and supportive except for the Kindergarten Readiness (KR) program. It s run separately from grades K-8 and that fact is glaringly obvious. The academic aspect of the KR program is good. If that s all your child needs or if that's all you're looking for in a pre-K program, then great. But if your 3, 4, or 5 year old could use a (lead) teacher who offers a little hug or a kind word every once in a while, or an encouraging pat on the back; or if your child would benefit from his or her teacher getting down on his or her level and interacting with him or her on occasion, then this is NOT the preschool program for your child.

Posted April 29, 2014

Hi I love this school. Best school in the world! Yeah! Come to this awesome school! Yeah!

Posted March 11, 2014

Mission Basilica School is one of a kind! We are so lucky to be a part of this loving, caring, and academically challenging community. All students are treated with respect and parents needs and concerned are listened to and taken into consideration. Thank you MBS!

Posted January 24, 2014

Grooming leaders. I conduct after school programs for children at many different schools and the kids at MBS stand out. They are excellent at expressing themselves, look you in the eye when they speak, even the youngest ones know how to speak confidently to a group. The kids clearly care about each other, they are happy for each other's successes and encourage each other constantly, it is a unique environment. Excellent manners, hard working. The parents are very present and eager to help and encourage the kids to be their best. As a group, these are not spoiled kids, but they are all confident.

Posted December 17, 2013

MBS has been a wonderful experience. The Catolic faith is important and the education is exceptional. Long lasting friendships for both our children and us adults. And the leadership and faculty at the school are absolutely amazing. if you are looking at school, make MBS your first stop...you'll go no farther!

Posted January 28, 2013

I can t say enough AMAZING things about Mission Basilica School. I have an elementary school child with learning disabilities. We tried several schools looking for just the right fit for him. Then we found the Mission Basilica School. The team quickly assessed my child and determined what type of accommodations would fit him best. For the first time my child is flourishing academically. More importantly, however, is how much my child s confidence has improved. I have watched my shy child come out of his shell and participate in mass and other school functions something he NEVER did before attending Mission Basilica School. They truly foster an environment where a child s God-given talents are brought out. I couldn t be more thrilled to be part of the Mission Basilica School Family and highly recommend the school!

Posted January 28, 2013

I put my two sons through Mission School and they are both now in college. I can not say enough good things about this school. Both my sons had great experiences not only academically, but spiritually and socially. I also worked as a parent helper in many situations and saw first hand the caring environment in many of the classrooms. The school has always had a good program when it came to anti-bullying. I think it speaks volumes when so many of the alumni come back and visit the school and talk about how much they miss it and how it prepared them for the outside world. It's unfortunate when someone has a bad experience and feels it necesarry to bad mouth the school. Remember that there are always two sides to a story. Go Swallows!

Posted January 28, 2013

What a wonderful School!! Academics are very strong and challenging. and the teachers are very caring. We have had a great experience there. The community of the school is like an extented family.I always knew my children were safe and cared for while at school. We are truly blessed to have found Mission Basilica School and to be part of this great community.

Posted January 28, 2013

MBS is a blessing to our family. The amazing academics with advanced technology, multiple learning modaliies can only be topped by the warmth and love the school community has. The beauty of the school is not just it's rich history and tradition but the caring nature of parents, staff and students. There are times when families need help..and I can say that the community circles the wagons to help! It's not just a school it's a family.

Posted July 29, 2012

After having my 4 children at Catholic Schools,for the past 19 years, I came to Mission Basilica school for the 1st time this past school year. I have 2 college age daughters and 2 elementary school boys that attended St Jeannes and Santa Margarita. I came to this school because my 11 year old has a slight learning disability that the school claimed could help. Forget the disability & lack of them being able to help them for a moment, & let me just say the bullying problem at this school is worse than any public or private I have heard of yet. My son got slapped in the face,pantsed in basketball, & humiliated daily. I learned of incidents of a girl being pushed in a locker, & other kids that were mentally & verbally attacked by other students with no consequence or punishment to these children.***Don't waste your money, time or risk your child well being at this school. The principal & VP will do nothing to help when you bring this to her attention. I have put my 11 year old in a school that protects and respects children with learning differences, while my other child is back at our former school. Shocking that parochial school would allow this behavior. Submitted by a parent

Posted January 9, 2012

We just moved from another private school in the area and found the principle and staff at Mission Parish School to be very supportive and kind. The school has a good anti-bullying policy and the administration follows through on any incidents that happen. Great school with nice people and family values!

Posted January 21, 2011

Mission Parish School has a very caring and supportive teaching staff. When parents leave the school due to not following recommendations for their child, they should not write negative things about the school. I know for a fact that the staff puts every child first. Please visit our campus to see and feel the warm family environment we pride ourselves on.

Posted January 21, 2011

Over the last 16yrs my children have attended 5 different Catholic schools in CA due to job transfers. We have been at Mission Parish School for 5yrs and I must say this is THE BEST CATHOLIC SCHOOL in CA! As a parent of a senior at USC I know that my 3rd and 8th grader could not be getting a better education. It all starts with the principal (can't say enough about her), amazing teachers & staff, traditions & parents = well rounded prepared young people...this school has it all! Looking forward to see what the future brings to my 8th grader after such an amazing jr high experience! Thank You Mission Parish School!

Posted January 21, 2011

As a graduate of Old Mission School, and as a parent of two graduates and a current student of Mission Parish School, I would highly recommend our wonderful school. All the teachers from Pre-K to 8th grade, along with the support staff have always been very caring, consistent, and provided an atmosphere for learning, as well as a safe place for my children to be themselves. What I love the most about this school are the tradition and values that we have been taught and live each day.

Posted January 21, 2011

Mission Parish School has been part of our family for many decades. My husband and I both attended school here, along with my three children. I would highly recommend our school for the excellence in academics, as well as the Christian values that are taught. Each teacher and staff member shows care and concern to all students. Parents and students that have graduated often tell me that they miss our school. Please come visit our school campus.

Posted January 21, 2011

As the mother of three boys, I initially chose MPS for its Catholic Education and diciplinary policies. I have found over the past 12 years that this school has a sense of community and family that provides students with an unbelievalbe sense of strength and confidence. The children feel safe; they are pushed academically and socially; they learn to excel in the classroom; they are not afraid to be themselves. They grow artistically through drama, music and fine arts. The have the opportunity in the middle grades to compete in football, basketball, soccer and volleyball giving them an edge as they enter high school. Finally and most importantly, when my oldest graduated and went to high school he entered a world where everyone is not a Roman Catholic. His exceptional strong sense of self and religious education he received at MPS have enabled him to argue and defend his religion to anyone at anytime with debates won against both atheists and teacher's alike. Someone at the Mission Parish School is clearly doing their job.

Posted January 21, 2011

This school is truly a GEM! Every child is encouraged and challenged to achieve their personal best. Family values are respected and individuality is uplifted. MPS supports the solid foundation that childen need to succeed in high school, college and beyond. Graduates of MPS leave with a confidence that assures they will succeed and achieve their life dreams and ambitions. Unafraid to be Roman Catholic, on the historic grounds of the Mission, strong parent community, caring engaged teachers and staff---no wonder it's a Blue Ribbon school!

Posted January 21, 2011

Mission Parish School is a special place. We currently have two children attending the school and one that graduated two years ago. In general, I truly feel as though we are all one big family there. The teaching staff is so dedicated and loyal to their students. One of our children needs extra help and the Resource Center has been a Godsend for her! Truly, the Resource Counselor is her guardian angel. Another thing I love about the school is it's rich traditions. The children are taught from pre-K and up to perform in front of audiences which instills confidence from an early age - plus it's fun. Performances include UN Day, St. Joseph's Day, the outstanding drama productions, cantoring/reading/alter serving at mass on a weekly basis & making announcements at Assembly. Additionally, the athletic department is awesome. Because of the small size of our school, every child can participate in whatever sport offered that they want to try. Each child particpates in every game no matter what their skill level. I couldn't be happier with our choice in Miision Parish School.

Posted September 18, 2010

The comment on poor national test scores couldn't be further from the truth. Mission Parish School students had test scores that ranked in the top 10% of the nation for the past few years. In fact, these test scores were one of the main factors that helped us achieved the 2009 National Blue Ribbon School Award.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2010

Wonderful caring environment with outstanding emphasis on Catholic values. Rooted in tradition, MPS has given our son the confidence he needs to be successful both academically and socially. Parents and administration are pushing forward to make MPS a premier school O. C.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon School Award (2009)
  • WCEA/WASC Full Accreditation (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Miss Tina Rolewicz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • blank@mbssjc.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (949) 234-1397

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Santa Margarita Catholic High School