San Leandro, CA

Posted September 26, 2013
My daughter Just started attending Bancroft this year. I was a little spectacle about this school. But now I love this school. Teachers are willing to help students when they ask for help. I love that I can keep track of my daughters assignments and grades online. Amazing.

Bancroft Middle School 3

Posted June 13, 2013
I agree that many of the teachers and staff at BMS are genuinely dedicated and hard working. There is a fabulous musical theater program directed by teachers with *lots* of parental support. The athletics program is headed by generous teachers who strive to include everyone interested. The teachers are dealing with a very diverse population, however, with varying educational backgrounds and many ESL learners. Some teachers handle these challenges better than others. Some of my son's classes were dominated by disruptive students; others were under control. My impression was that if my kid did his homework and was not disruptive, he pretty much would get an "A." I would have liked academic standards to have been higher and for critical thinking to have been more emphasized. While many parents whose kids did musical theater contributed hundreds of hours of support, the PTA did not enjoy as much participation. The teachers and staff have been trying to raise the school's standards--but budget restraints require parents and the community to assist our struggling schools. BMS would benefit from greater community support.

Posted June 12, 2013
This school is like life, you get out of it what you put into it. If you are a parent willing to support your child's academic and extracurricular endeavors, then Bancroft can be a wonderful experience. My daughter has just finished her first year there, and has a 4.0 GPA, participated in the incredible Spring musical theater program (open to ALL students), cross country running team (open to ALL students), and symphonic band (open to ALL students). When I asked her who her favorite teacher was, she asked if she could pick her top 6 (hint: she only has 6 teachers). If you are a parent in the area and are worried about the poor reputation of this school, don't believe the hype. Principal Ferrer and his staff are working hard to turn this school around, and there is nothing better than feeling connected to your community by participating in the great American institution we call Public Education.

Posted May 22, 2012
Terrible school. The administrative staff leaves a lot to be desired. Poor discipline. The students are rude and have no respect for adults. I received no support. I had to pull my child out of the school and put them in John Muir. What a major improvement.

Posted May 12, 2011
To many gangs. Just too many. Teachers there are undedicated to teach. The students there sell weed and smoke weed. NEVER go to the schoo.

Bancroft Middle School 3

Posted March 17, 2011
This school is the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is the extra cuuricular activities. all our sports teams are amazing. the bad is the teaching and structure of the classrooms. yes there are a handful of good teachers but about 20%. the school does not communicate well at all. also we are extremely broke. The ugly: not as many fights as people make it seem but sixth grade is the worse. there are wanna be gangbangers who will have you or your child terrified. especially the boys locker room. i was terrified to go and change. plus the smell is awful. the kids at BMS are disgusting. the bathrooms don't even have soap or paper towels have the time. Fires have been set and many fire alarms have been pulled. the kids do innapropriate things and are disrespectful. all in all a average school not recommended but not saying don't ever go here. 3 out of 5 stars.

Posted December 21, 2010
This is our family's fourth year at Bancroft. From our perspective, the school's admin is much improved under new principal. To be honest, this is the first year we have been inspired to write such a glowing review. Our son, a seventh grader, looks forward to school and is learning a lot. Most of the teachers are deeply dedicated to teaching and really seem to want to be there. Band, science, cross country, art and musical theater and track and field have been highlights.

Posted October 06, 2010
Located just blocks away from East Oakland, Bancroft Middle School is blessed with a dedicated team of teachers. Unfortunately, staff's efforts are undermined by an administrative team that sometimes fails to back up rhetoric (easy) with action (hard). The colleagues, the students and the parents make you look forward to coming to work, but the administration makes you feel miserable.

Bancroft Middle School 5

Posted May 07, 2010

Bancroft Middle School 5

Posted December 08, 2009

Bancroft Middle School
1150 Bancroft Avenue, San Leandro, CA  94577
Last modified Bancroft Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bancroft Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top