Bad
Good

My child is a returning student to McKinley. I am very please with the school. The teachers are vey nice, and the school staff have made my daughter feel comfortable.

My daughter is currently in kindergarten at Mckinley. I was a bit nervous about the school because it is in 'School Improvement', meaning test score improvements have not kept pace with the requirements of NCLB. However, now that a good chunk of her first public school year has gone by, I am very glad I chose to send her to our local school. The new principal, Cher Mott, is very motivated and energized. The teachers that I have met so far are all dedicated and seem talented (admittedly, I have only observed my own daughter's teacher so far). I think overall, the school's administration and teaching staff are unified and organized in their effort to improve the school despite continued cuts to education and rigid curriculum guidelines imposed by the state. I gave only 4 stars because I wish that in general public education were more progressive, not the school's fault.

My children have attended McKinley since Kindergarten and have had a great time at McKinley. Regrettably the discipline at the school has become a problem. Kids caught fighting are put on in school suspension. These same kids return to class and get into another fight the follow day. In my experience the Principal has difficulty working with 'some' parents. This is odd because SLUSD encourages parent participation. My son has even been questioned by the principal about my presence at school. Overall, I love McKinley and feel the teachers are doing a awesome job. Mrs. Ball a fourth grade teacher, takes her kids on standardized based field trips and several teachers have in class projects that bring a hands on approach to learning that works well w/kids. The outdoor education program, math club and organized play at recess shows that McKinley teachers care about their students.

Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.