Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

As a parent and an educator myself, I have a very strong opinion on this topic. I've experienced my daughter bringing home a 50 page homework packet for the week in kindergarten which I felt was unnecessary for several reasons. Now in 2nd grade, homework that takes 30 minutes at most is much appreciated. It allows more time to spend with family and being a child rather than a workhorse.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They are implementing a toolbox curriculum (cant recall the specific name at this time) which teaches students how to develop their character in a positive way. I know that it's working since my daughter puts it to practice daily which has even helped us as a family.

The principal, Dr. Yearns is very friendly and I appreciate that she doesn't force teachers to swamp children with homework, unlike my daughter's previous school. I enjoy the activities that are offered for families to be involved in also. Apparently, my daughter's teacher is new this year which can sometimes scare families but she has proven to be a great first-year teacher.

Both my niece and nephew attended Bay Elementary ("Bay") and were graduates of Kipp Academy/Kipp King, my kids are, hopefully, following in their foot steps. In any event, I think Bay is a pretty good school. The only teacher that I really know is the TK teacher and she is an awesome teacher! She genuinely cares for her kids. It's so wonderful to see older kids running to her, giving her hugs and helping with the classroom. The principal is also amazing and always has a smile on her face. She doesn't know me but yet she sees me with my son, stops to talk to us, and answers any question that I had about admitting him in the future. I hope that the principal will stay forever in this school because she is doing an amazing job. I don't know why Bay Elementary has such a low score but I do hope to see that score go up soon. I don't know who my kids are going to have in the fall but whoever he/she is going to be, I am sure it's going to be a great teacher.

Bay is a hidden jewel. This school has really high standards and places value in reading and attendance. Very good school

Only a couple of things that are unlikeable. The children are not allowed to run on the playground hardtop , or else they will be in trouble. I dont like that rule, but I'm sure there is a reason for it, and there can be much worse things. Either way, something that all parents should know is that the majority of the teachers are truly dedicated. Before you buy into the bad comments about the principal though, she's actually awesome. She stays on top of attendance and makes sure her school runs like a well oiled machine. You know how bullying is such a big issue at most schools? Well, not here. I happen to know that at our school, our principal makes sure any issue that even comes remotely close to bullying is stopped immediately. Her concern for the well being of each student goes beyond the school yard. Ms. Tavares will even answer your emails after hours and on the weekends to resolve most issues. This is something that will ease the mind of any parent. Love the school, love the teachers, love the PTA.

This school is not a terrible school, but a lot of the teachers seem angry all the time and it is probably due to the principal. The office staff is not friendly, very rude, and always stressed out. I have heard them several times bad mouthing the principal and rightfully so. I think the school would function much better with a better principal who actually cares about the kids. At first glance, she seems nice and then you realize after more than one interaction that she goes back on her word, blames teachers and district staff, and is demeaning to staff, students, and parents. Some of the teachers are very good, you just have to hope that your child gets into their class!

Love the teachers, the princable, not so good

We have great Teachers and an awesome PTA with a lot of parent involvement.

I love everything about this school, teachers teaching my kids well, good discipline, Principal really listens to parent and gives us advise when we ask for it, they always have time for us.

Last modified Bay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.