San Lorenzo, CA

Posted January 15, 2013
This is a great school. This is my daughter's first year at Dayton. She is in the 2nd grade. She came from Bella Vista Elementary school in Oakland (which was also excellent!). To be honest, I liked Bella Vista more because my daughter was always challenged and academics was taken so seriously by many of the parents. Parents knew each other and supported each other. We had parent volunteers who would read to/with the children from 7am until school started. Anyway, let me focus the review more on Dayton. My daughter's teacher is very supportive. She recognizes that my daughter is advanced for her grade, so she offers her "extra credit" assignments. In areas where my daughter is weak, she spends time to explain to my daughter thoroughly to ensure that she undertsands the concepts. She is calm and very experienced as children know what to expect from her. I, however, wish that more homework was given, My daughter finishes the homework in less than 10 minutes. Additionally, all 2nd grade classes receive the exact homework, which makes education "streamline." I think that presvents the teachers from being creative and teaching more than they should. It's always great to learn more.

Posted October 06, 2012
Dayton is a school with dedicated teachers, kind students, and excellent leadership from a principal who is passionate about the school and every student there. My son is in 1st grade and the 2 teachers that he has had went above and beyond to create a comfortable community in the classroom, where all students were academically challenged and had fun while learning. The Kid's Club is also a fun place for him to be after school, all of the instructors are great and seem to have a lot of fun with the kids. Way to go Dayton Tigers!

Posted August 26, 2011
Dayton is a sorely underrated school on this site. We moved away from this school district to a supposedly better school just over the hill that happens to be rated a 10 on GreatSchools, and despite this, I think Dayton is a better school, with more diversity, and programs that are accessible to everyone. I especially liked that my kids were able to participate in the music program and whenever there was a recital, the mutipurpose room was overflowing with parents and family members. It was a much warmer place than the school my child is at now. If I knew what I know now, we would have stayed in this school district.nIt just goes to show that money doesn't replace heart, and Dayton has a lot of heart.

Posted March 04, 2010
Dayton is a great place to LEARN! I enjoy my daughter being at Dayton Elementary School. She has made friends and enjoys the staff. They smile and speak to all students, that's special! I am so happy because I know she is safe, her teacher cares about her education and makes sure she understands what is being taught. I enjoy the Principal's morning words for thought and seeing the staff at outside pick-up. My daughter felt special when the principal helped her out of the car. I know he's busy making the school what it is and to take time on occasion to do that is special. The PTA is alive and well, they do a great job, just like the very helpful office staff. I can only write 150 words or less. Go Dayton!!!! Happy Parent of a 3rd grader

Posted August 24, 2009
Great school! The staff has been WONDERFUL! Feel safe with my daughter being there, office staff knows parents Very well. Enjoyed our past 2 years here. Teachers have been more then I could have asked for really doing eveything they can to help my child and me too! Its smaller # of students which I ike seems to allow the staff to get to know allthe children really well. Mr Bloch IS GREAT TOO! Really great school.

Posted July 18, 2008

Posted September 19, 2006
So far, I've been impressed with the school and teachers. My son went to Dayton 1st-5th grades and my daughter is currently in 4th grade. We have a very diverse student population (over 25 different languages spoken!), but the discipline issues are very low. Students get along well and are monitored well on campus. The teachers teach to state standards. There aren't any extracurricular activities, but there is an after school daycare program on campus. The PTA tries to do fun events, but there isn't enough parent support. Too many parents work full time or more than one job. There is a new principal this year - he came from the local high school. He is handling the change to elementary well and is very friendly with the kids and parents. He already knows many of the kids' names! We love Mrs. Burke and Ms. Curran!

Dayton Elementary School 3

Posted September 23, 2005

Posted December 11, 2004

Posted June 07, 2004
Dayton Elementary has only been re-opened for a short time. It is an excellent elementary school due to Principal Jodi Lytel's leadership. The teachers are passionate about their students. The music program is the best in the area. The PTA is very strong and provides parents many ways to be involved in the school. Like most schools these days, more parents should be involved. The facilities are well maintained and the environment is very welcoming. Resources for the library are a high priority at the school. Dayton is a wonderful school for my children.

Dayton Elementary School
1500 Dayton Avenue, San Lorenzo, CA  94579
Last modified Dayton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dayton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top