San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted September 15, 2014
We love Hawthorne! This is our second year and we have had a wonderful experience so far. The principle is incredible. He actively works to help the kids get the best possible education. The teachers are top notch! My youngest had a rough start and the school teachers, principal, special needs teacher, school psychologist all kindly, patiently, and thoroughly worked with my child and us. Both of my kids love going to school. We love that this school is San Luis Obispo's downtown school. Lot's of history and diversity. The kids at this school are also exceptionally friendly and kind. My oldest son is very shy and he's only been treated kindly by his peers. I hope that continues. Thank you Hawthorne Elementary for helping give our kids a great start to their education!

Posted February 26, 2014
As a parent with a special needs child it is crucial to find a school which will provide for my childs educational needs. The principal, teachers, and faculty staff exemplify this at Hawthorne Elementary school. I am very happy with the principals leadership and positive atmosphere he has established at the school. You can see it with the teachers, faculty staff, and students. Thank you for providing such a valuable education for my child.

Posted September 26, 2013
My son has been going here for the past two years and he loves it. All the teachers and staff are extremely helpful and genuinely care about each of their students.

Posted August 12, 2012
This school will restore your belief in the public school system. We have attended for 3 years now, and look forward to the next three. From the enthusiasm and knowledge of the teachers, to the commitment and interest of the support staff - we have been thoroughly impressed with this elementary school of over 300 students, all known by name to the principal.

Posted August 31, 2008
This is a wonderful school. All the teahers, staff and principal, care about the students and they are very good at communicating with both the student and their parents. This school is a hidden treasure with so much positive energy. I wish I would have transferrred my child here sooner.

Posted October 16, 2007
My son attends the special day class for kindergarteners at Hawthorne and it has been a wonderful experience for both of us. The teacher and the paraprofessional aides are tuned in to his needs and provide a unique educational program and supplies for him and he is progressing well. The kids have music and art every day, physical education and library time every week. I volunteer once a week and enjoy seeing him and his classmates learning language and mathematics, social skills and citizenship while having fun. Go Hawthorne!

Posted October 15, 2007
I had no idea when reviewing elementary schools in our area, what a truly unique place Hawthorne is. Once we began Hawthorne, and started to really get to know the staff, teachers, principal and parents at the school we had no doubt we had made the best choice. The programs that are in place to reach both kids that need additional help as well as those that need to be challenged above grade level really help to focus on each child and not allow kids to get lost in a classroom. The care and satisfaction of the teachers along with the tremendous support from the principal is widely felt by parents and students alike. We could not be happier or ask for a better place for our children.

Posted September 25, 2007
This is an amazing school, full of love and friendship. I am glad to attend Hawthorne.

Posted August 28, 2007
I am proud to say I have a 6th, 3rd, and 2nd grader all at Hawthorne and all have attended since kindergarten. Hawthorne is an amazing place. The teachers work together to accommodate a range of learning requirements and I have always felt that my child's individual needs have always been met (above and beyond). The positive attitude from the Principal, to the teachers the kids and parents is contagious! Because of the small class size, everyone is friends and knows each other. The PTA does not go overboard with fundraising, etc. We get what we need and not make a big deal about money. I feel that Hawthorne is greatly mis-understood in the community, it is difficult to put into words how special this school is. If anyone has the opportunity to send their child to this school, don't miss it. The rewards are bigger than you may think.

Posted August 28, 2007
Hawthorne School is a hidden jewel. It is truly a family, and with high academic goals. Hawthorne is a wonderfully diverse school, truly a slice of real-life.

Hawthorne Elementary School
2125 Story Street, San Luis Obispo, CA  93401
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top