San Luis Obispo, CA

Montessori Children's 2

Posted October 29, 2014
I had my child here and took him out due to some concerns I had with the cleanliness of the school and the lack of attentiveness of some of the teachers. They do not appear to have a janitor and if they do, they should hire a new one. Dried up food on the tables outside for weeks (banana chunks, bread crusts, etc.) and the place is super cluttered, which is surprising because Montessori is very much about organization and de-cluttering the child's environment. The kids were very high-strung and there were many kids for one teacher in the afternoons. I showed up once and my child was literally by himself not being watched for an extended period. I know this because I stood at the fence looking for him for a few minutes and later found him hiding around the side of the school. The teacher was too busy to notice. The place needs to be de-cluttered, organized, CLEANED, and pared down. Also, call me paranoid, but the fact that the yard where the kids play is next to a busy street, visible, and has a chain link fence only, so a person with a gun would have direct access to the yard and easy access to get on the freeway. With school shootings happening once a week now, I'm paranoid.

Montessori Children's 1

Posted June 27, 2014
This is a for-profit school with a Montessori franchise, where the teachings of Mary Montessori are reduced to buzz words and slogans to market the school. If you send your child here, get ready for a non-stop barrage of emails for donations, volunteer work, and product/event marketing. We did everything from volunteer yard work, taking dirty laundry home to wash for the school, volunteering at their fund raising events, as well as donating money and items, in addition to paying the considerable tuition. After cycling us through their fundraisers, which culminates in the big auction event every March, the director/owner called us in for a meeting right before spring break and told us not to bring our son back. We had not indication that they were going to throw our son out of their school before that, and it's terrible how they squeezed us for donations and volunteer work right before throwing our son out. Our son started the Montessori when he was 3 and half years old. He is an active little boy they found to be too much work. Part of the problem is that the school is overcrowded and has been cited for this. It is hard to talk to the teachers, some of whom are burnt out.

Montessori Children's 5

Posted August 29, 2010
My son attended this school for nine year ( age 3-12) and it is excellent. Each child' progresses at their own rate and is treated with respect and an individual. The teachers truly love the children and are commited to excellence. It is like an extended family. In general Montessori gets criticism that it is either too structured or not structured. I don't know about other school but children had freedom within limits. They certainly are not permitted to do nothing all day but they do work at the rate they are at individually. Each childs assignments in the elementary age group are tailored for that childs progress. No two children are usually at the same page in the math curriculum for instance. We loved this school and only wish they had a middle school!

Montessori Children's 5