School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

San Elijo Middle School appreciates communication from students, parents, and the community. However, please note that reading reviews which are third-person accounts does not reflect the positive culture of our school, or the specific facts of any one incident. We are aware of blogs, postings, forums, etc. and are concerned with our community s perception of what occurs on campus. In our attempt to provide as detailed information as possible, should you have any questions about any incident, policy, or other area of our school s mission to provide a safe environment where all students feel comfortable to learn, please contact us directly.
September 26, 2011

San Elijo Middle School 2

Posted September 05, 2014
In the realm of Academia, this school seems to have a good grasp on providing a rigorous, yet fair program for its students. It is technically advanced and has a beautiful campus. However, as far as student life and quality of the education experience...this school is missing the mark. The short time allotted for each period, the overwhelmingly large student body and the lack of personal attention affects the child's potential in getting a individualized support/planning and a guided path to higher education. I wish this school was able to downsize and provide my children with the education they deserve. It's beautiful on the outside, but it's the internal quality that counts

Posted October 31, 2013
San Elijo Middle School is a rigorous school with high expectations for all students. The teachers are caring and dedicated.

Posted September 26, 2013
San Elijo Middle School is an excellent middle school with strict rules that are followed through by the teachers and administration. Middle schoolers need these rules! 2 of my children have gone here and have only had great experiences. Almost every teacher we've had is amazing and willing to meet with kids before or after school for extra attention/help. Both of my kids are straight A students who never get in trouble so maybe that why we've had such a positive experience? Work hard and you are rewarded!

San Elijo Middle School 1

Posted September 09, 2013
I went to San Elijo, and I have to say, this school is absolutely horrible! The asst. principal and supervisors are the rudest staff there. They care more about dress code and no gum. The asst. principal is strict, and just ridiculous. There were cops and sniffing dogs, the principles check the student's social media. There is yelling and cussing, inappropriate words and slang. Bullying is also a main problem, the "club" doesn't even help. If you go to Albertson's, you can see how fed up the people are. I wouldn't recommend this school as a student.

Posted August 13, 2013
I don't get the negative comments. Both of my kids are happy with this school. I have personally met with all my kid's teachers and can only say good things about their dedication and work ethic. Both my kids are straight A's and I suspect that the negative comments are coming from parents whos kids tend to get into trouble or put being popular ahead of acadmeic achievement. As far bullying, this is an issue in all middle schools and this school has a zero tolerance policy. Just report it and it will be dealt with. Also when many schools have found the need to drop music and art, this school has managed to have a flourishing band program headed by a terrific teacher who has many volunteers helping the students. They have won many band competition awards and have an end of the school year concert at the Center for the performing arts in Escondido. The art program is also going full steam and one of my daughters looks foward to that Class daily. The other daughter is in the band and loves it. In summary SEMS is a really good school and your children will get a good education. They just need to put in the effort and parents need to stay involved.

San Elijo Middle School 1

Posted July 29, 2013
As an eighth grader, And knowing this school pretty well. It is a terrible school, even my mom says so, she says it has bad teachers, supervisors, etc. and I agree 100%! One day I came in late and asked the supervisor at the desk what period it was, she told me ending of first, i said thanks, have a nice day! Her answer was, "Sure, whatever." For crying out loud really? C'mon no wonder my school, and not so pleased to call it my school, has terrible reviews, and I have a sister who hates this school aswell. The Lunch is extremely unhealthy, my teacher slept on the job, teachers yelling and cussing occasionaly at students, i couldnt have gone to a worse school. The students here ( girls ) who are popular pick out he girls with the smallest difference, and bully them, i had MANY girls pick on me for my looks, just because I couldnt wear makeup or have the in style clothes, or perfect looks... I am actually picked on OUTSIDE of shool aswell on my way to albertsons two girls from my school that I ended up getting in their face about why they kept talking about me, were pointing and laughing, this school is the worst, I hope it rots and never comes back.
2 people found this helpful

San Elijo Middle School 4

Posted July 18, 2013
Some of these negative reviews seem like they are written by a flunking 8th grader, or parents who are a little behind the times, such as not wanting to teach kids about conservation or evolution (BTW, the standards are set by the state, and not the school). SEMS is a very good school in an average school district. Several factors contribute to this - SEMS student demographics are better than San Marcos average, the school is relatively new, and the teachers do a good job of teaching. API scores prove how this school compares to other similar schools. Every place has some drawbacks. San Marcos is not La Jolla or Carmel Valley, and the demographics do have some impact - it's all relative. Class sizes have increased to 32-36 kids. Bullying is a sign of pre-teen kids, but is managed at SEMS as well as anywhere else. Finally, San Elijo Hills is a new neighborhood, and there is a fair amount of turnover. Rest assured that it is not because of SEMS. If anything, people want to move to the area due to the schools. Good Luck.

San Elijo Middle School 2

Posted June 01, 2013
The teachers have no control over their students, at least they aren't trying to do anything about it. Kids in the classrooms use crude language, disturb the class, and are a real pain. I have gone to the school counceling office before about a disturbing video in science class that went against my religion in the realm of evolution, and they said they would 'look into it'. WHEN?! How long am I supposed to wait before something is done about the insanity of this school. It seems that instead of the faculty running the school, the kids are. They say that they have bully prevention programs that they are conducting. If that is true, then why do I hear kids telling other people to 'go die in a hole' or, 'no one likes you' and even 'why are you even alive? You should go hang yourself'. And even though they might think that it doesn't actually affect others, it hurts anyone who endures such horrid violent words. The only time the school will step in is when there is a physical problem. They won't do anything when someone is being verbally abused. I am a seventh grade student, and I KNOW that there are many things that need to change at my school, and this is just the start.

San Elijo Middle School 3

Posted April 03, 2013
I do not understand why Mr. Hall is hiring the rudest parents as supervisors. I don't feel safe for my children.

Posted March 23, 2013
Another good year at SEMS! Child number two is currently in 6th grade. Although not as strong academically as my oldest, I so appreciate the excellent communication with the teachers. They always respond so quickly to my inquiries. Recently my son had an issue with another student and I thought it was handled very well. The teachers work their tails off to provide these students with a rigorous education. I feel my oldest was SO prepared for high school. Thank you, SEMS!

San Elijo Middle School
1600 Schoolhouse Way, San Marcos, CA  92078
Last modified San Elijo Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Elijo Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top