Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 15, 2016
Principal just tried to implement No Homework policy. She then changed to minimum daily reading. She doesn't seem to know what she is doing.

Discovery Elementary School 3

Posted June 13, 2016
I won't submit 2 stars because I wouldn't consider this a bad school but it's less than average. The principal is not repsonsive until a situation is escalated which is very disturbing for an elementary school. It seems they Focus on the state testing scores and the overall scores that affect their ranking. I'm not sure they genuinely want to see each class and each student prevail in their own capacity. We were at another school a couple years ago that wasn't scored as high but the teachers were phenomenal. They kept the students and parents informed on a daily basis and managed their events very well. The principal at our old school was responsive and very active with the kids and genuinely engaged with the kids and parents. Discovery is nothing like this. There is a 3rd grade teacher who is not structured or organized and doesn't have the kids learning process in mind. She should be teaching a subject at a community college not teaching multiple subjects at a secondary school to children. This was the first disappointing year since we started elementary school. I hope this isn't how it will be going forward. If you can avoid this school. I would. They are a status school not an interactive and engaging school. Super disappointed. Glad summer is finally here.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted June 13, 2016
Ms. Lopez is a FANTASTIC supervisor. She should be promoted. She was our saving grace.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 13, 2016
They allow bullying and disrespect and do not resolve issues like these on a school wide level. They pick and choose who or how they will handle each situation and it should be handled on a school wide level. Teach kindness always and respect.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 13, 2016
At our old school we would hear great stories of empathy. I have yet to hear or experience one.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 13, 2016
They don't take the subject of bullying to a public level. They still act as if it's a matter to keep quiet and that's scary and not beneficial for the kids learning process moving forward.

Discovery Elementary School 4

Posted May 11, 2015
I loved our school, until the change of administration. Recently there has been a cancelled fundraiser which are very important to us as parents to be able to hold these events. They boost morale, and promote a sense of community. I feel this diabolical decision, and the angst it has caused, is merely one of many other issues that has contributed to the building tension between the PTO and the administration since the new principal, Ms. Geldard has taken over. The sudden cancellation of this event undermines the volunteering parents, hurts morale, and, most importantly, hurts our children. Our students look forward to these events. As we see it, this has been a missed fund raising opportunity. I feel strongly that some action needs to be taken to better our school. It is not my intent to blame, but to solicit help in our desperate need of good leadership at Discovery Elementary.

Discovery Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2015
I think that the school has a bad undertone since the new principal has joined the school. She makes Discovery school an unhappy place. She can't get along with anyone on campus. Now, all the good teachers are leaving to the new school because of her. I don't know how San Marcos can have a bad apple principal.

Discovery Elementary School 2

Posted April 19, 2015
Seems like ever since the former principal left, the school has been going downwards. The PTO and the administration are so disconnected. There is not enough supervision of kids during PE and recess. Kids are just made to run laps during PE regardless of how hot it gets. I wish the school had more caring environment for the children.

Discovery Elementary School 4

Posted February 07, 2014
I think it's a great school!! Everything is amazing! Exept the P.E teachers. There so strict! And they should give the students a break. There still young!

730 Applewilde Drive, San Marcos, CA  92078-4969
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. (760) 290-2077
Last modified Discovery Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.